You thought techno couldn't get any lower? New Kas:st/afterlife track...

General Chat // Music Discussion
medusascoil
Interact. Don't Spam.
Re: You thought techno couldn't get any lower? New Kas:st/afterlife track...

Post by medusascoil »

Hades wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:52 am
medusascoil wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:23 pm
Eh, you guys have no idea. Being in Texas, anything with a BPM of 110+ is called techno. It's actually really aggravating.
I think you'd be surprised, cause I think some of us here really do. :)

Just speaking for myself now, but back in my teenage years (the 90's), the small town I grew up in...
you were either into "rock" or "dance".
As if no other genres existed. :?
And to think Belgium was making fucking awesome trance at the time,
yet to most common folks, that's all they could think of to describe what they were hearing.

At least you got some excellent BBQ action going on... 8-)
Haha. Same with El Paso (where I grew up). It was rock/dance/and norteno/ranchera/corrido music, which looking back, has a lot of cool music. The polymeter percussion from Latin music is actually pretty cool. They even coined a new genre called Ruidosón: ruido (noise) and són (roots), which maybe some of you will dig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Bco3OcVow

But yes, we have some amazing BBQ and Tex-Mex food here. As much as I want to live in Europe, I would miss tacos a bunch. Do you guys have good Mexican food? :D

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

medusascoil wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:04 pm
El Paso
I'll always thank that city for being the birthplace of AT THE DRIVE IN.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

So basically trance without supersaws? Not that I'm complaining, it's a great tranceish song.

medusascoil
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by medusascoil »

Mono-xID wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:19 pm
medusascoil wrote:
El Paso
I'll always thank that city for being the birthplace of AT THE DRIVE IN.
Ah yes!! one of el paso's finest achievements, along with chicos tacos. Don't ask ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

gedda wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:08 pm
So basically trance without supersaws? Not that I'm complaining, it's a great tranceish song.
there's definitely trance without supersaws, you know?
in fact, I think trance started going all south when they started using supersaws,
but growing up in the 90's in Belgium, I can assure you, lots of good trance tracks were made without any supersaws.
Early trance used to be lots darker and way closer to techno at times.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

medusascoil wrote:
Haha. Same with El Paso (where I grew up). It was rock/dance/and norteno/ranchera/corrido music, which looking back, has a lot of cool music. The polymeter percussion from Latin music is actually pretty cool. They even coined a new genre called Ruidosón: ruido (noise) and són (roots), which maybe some of you will dig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Bco3OcVow

But yes, we have some amazing BBQ and Tex-Mex food here. As much as I want to live in Europe, I would miss tacos a bunch. Do you guys have good Mexican food? :D
Mexican food in Belgium? Just a few Mexican restaurants here or there, but nothing special.

I was always a proper BBQ lover, but I recently got into smoking, and fucking hell...
mmmmmmmm...
I've always been a fan of slow cooking stuff (got an AGA stove here and use it all the time), so yeah, I guess it's normal to be into smoking as well.

Can't wait to be over the financial drain known as X-mas/New Year, to order myself a proper pit barrel smoker to replace the shitty smoker I got from a flee market (got it for 25€ and 2 stolen Duvel glasses though, new price was 100€, so I shouldn't complain :mrgreen: )
The marinades, the meat-brining, making your own BBQ sauce, I love everything about it.
Maybe the only down side is that Belgium doesn't have enough warm weather, but then again, who said it needs to be hot outside before you can do a BBQ?
I once made perfect pork filets on my BBQ in february, and it literally started snowing like 10 minutes after I was finished.

Where do you live now?

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

Hades wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:05 pm
gedda wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:08 pm
in fact, I think trance started going all south when they started using supersaws,
but growing up in the 90's in Belgium, I can assure you, lots of good trance tracks were made without any supersaws.
Oh hell yea! Old Eye Q records still stand up today!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

gedda wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:00 pm
Hades wrote:

Bonzai records is having a big revival nowadays.
And some of their producers, like Yves Deruyter, are doing lots of gigs again...

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

Hades wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:10 pm
gedda wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:00 pm
Hades wrote:

Bonzai records is having a big revival nowadays.
And some of their producers, like Yves Deruyter, are doing lots of gigs again...
Interesting that you mention Bonzai. I actually had progressive and tech house releases there nearly a decade ago. Belgium always has gems, I loved that New Beat stuff back in the day too.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

gedda wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:30 am

Interesting that you mention Bonzai. I actually had progressive and tech house releases there nearly a decade ago. Belgium always has gems, I loved that New Beat stuff back in the day too.
any links ?
would love to check them out.

medusascoil
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by medusascoil »

Hades wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:16 pm
medusascoil wrote:

Mexican food in Belgium? Just a few Mexican restaurants here or there, but nothing special.

I was always a proper BBQ lover, but I recently got into smoking, and fucking hell...
mmmmmmmm...
I've always been a fan of slow cooking stuff (got an AGA stove here and use it all the time), so yeah, I guess it's normal to be into smoking as well.

Can't wait to be over the financial drain known as X-mas/New Year, to order myself a proper pit barrel smoker to replace the shitty smoker I got from a flee market (got it for 25€ and 2 stolen Duvel glasses though, new price was 100€, so I shouldn't complain :mrgreen: )
The marinades, the meat-brining, making your own BBQ sauce, I love everything about it.
Maybe the only down side is that Belgium doesn't have enough warm weather, but then again, who said it needs to be hot outside before you can do a BBQ?
I once made perfect pork filets on my BBQ in february, and it literally started snowing like 10 minutes after I was finished.

Where do you live now?
Seems you really know your stuff! You should definitely stop by in Austin to eat some pretty amazing BBQ. Franklin BBQ is one of the best in the nation and has a 5-6 hour wait and they sell out by noon. Obama, Bourdain, and others have all visited. The owner is a super humble guy and not sure how helpful his book is, but maybe you'd find it interesting: https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Barbecu ... 1607747200

Proper smoking and using a pit seems like way too much work for me, but honestly if you let anything "cook" for several hours, it should taste delicious?

Definitely think BBQing would be more pleasant in the winter, only cuz it gets to 100 F with almost 60 percent humidity here, it's unbearable, hah.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

medusascoil wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:41 pm
Seems you really know your stuff! You should definitely stop by in Austin to eat some pretty amazing BBQ. Franklin BBQ is one of the best in the nation and has a 5-6 hour wait and they sell out by noon. Obama, Bourdain, and others have all visited. The owner is a super humble guy and not sure how helpful his book is, but maybe you'd find it interesting: https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Barbecu ... 1607747200

Proper smoking and using a pit seems like way too much work for me, but honestly if you let anything "cook" for several hours, it should taste delicious?

Definitely think BBQing would be more pleasant in the winter, only cuz it gets to 100 F with almost 60 percent humidity here, it's unbearable, hah.
ah man, don't make me get all hungry and craving for that stuff. :D
Good BBQ is pretty hard to find here in Belgium.
A few years back, I got myself a cook book from a Dutch guy who got to be world champion in BBQ
(not that these guys are any match to the proper pit masters in the US),
and really enjoyed making several recipes, so thx for your link, if anything I'll probably buy it for the stories included.
Even now you can read some of that stuff on the "look inside" parts on amazon from the book you posted.
The way they get up at like 2AM...
(well, I get up at 2:30 AM, so I can kind of relate :lol: but then again, I'm usually done around noon, no fucking way these guys can say that)
It's the whole dedication to their craft.
I mean, we just do a BBQ or smoke something when we say "ok, now I can take out a whole day and enjoy it",
they do that shit day in, day out, every fucking day.

There's this small sub culture of BBQ and smoke lovers here in Belgium and Holland,
but I don't wanna get myself completely into that world.
The more you read up on it, the more you wanna dive all the way in,
and that takes time and money, especially money if you wanna start cooking some of the bigger pieces of meat.
In the US, a brisket for example, is a common piece of meat you can find pretty much anywhere.
Over here, you gotta order it online (no kidding) from specialty stores.

I agree it's all a lot of work, but on the other hand, it's not really that much work for private cooking,
especially if you are smoking something. It's just brining your meat (5 minutes preparation work, then a few hours or overnight waiting), and then doing a rub on the meat (maybe another 10 minutes maximum, and some waiting), and then lighting the smoker.
Obviously, because of all the waiting time in-between, it's not something you can easily decide to cook in a hurry.
It takes a lot of time, absolutely, but you can perfectly do tons of other stuff while the smoker does all the work for you.
You can spend hours in the studio making music. All you gotta do is once in a while get outside and check on the smoker.
A simple BBQ takes up a lot more of your energy.
It's kind of the same thing when I use my ovens for the slow cooking. For most of the stews I make, you only need to cut up all the ingredients and put them in the same pot and then put it in the oven long enough.
medusascoil wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:41 pm
but honestly if you let anything "cook" for several hours, it should taste delicious?
^^^yes, pretty much this when it comes to slow cooking. Only thing you need to watch out for is that your meat doesn't dry out too much or your vegetables become a big mush from being overcooked. Most general advice I can give you is to cut up your vegetables in much bigger pieces and only add them to the stew after 1 to 1.5 hours (or even longer depending on the temperature of your oven and the size of your meat), so you gave the meat and sauce already proper time to really develop most of the flavor.
Really, there's not much to it, just a little love at the right moment and a little more patience... ;)

MonoTeksist
Jan : )

Post by MonoTeksist »

*quickly goes back to original post*

WTH is this, a 7-minute intro?? After 2 minutes I just had to give up, lest my head could've fallen off.
This is WAY beyond "Meh" ... :roll:
"I had a lot of doors slammed in my face." - Joey Beltram

henry1
Chernobyl

Post by henry1 »

over9000 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:06 pm
henry1 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:42 pm
On the subject of the Artist, I was listening to this track months ago and tried to find an answer to a lingering question in relation to this track:

youtu.be/qIY9boEt1uM

I did search online but couldn't find any explanation. The track information doesn't credit anyone else. I hope its another kind of arrangement because it is clearly not referred to as a remix. I'm not the crediting police, I'm just curious. Or... am I perhaps trippin' regarding the similarities? In fact, I hope I am, I really hope its just me.

Can someone please share an objective opinion?
I dont understand what you mean?
You think the track you posted is not made by them?
The track is definitely made by them.

Its just that its similarities with another track from the 90s bothers me because it is referenced only to themselves and not anyone else.

Then again, maybe its just me.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

henry1 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:33 pm
over9000 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:06 pm
henry1 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:42 pm
On the subject of the Artist, I was listening to this track months ago and tried to find an answer to a lingering question in relation to this track:

youtu.be/qIY9boEt1uM

I did search online but couldn't find any explanation. The track information doesn't credit anyone else. I hope its another kind of arrangement because it is clearly not referred to as a remix. I'm not the crediting police, I'm just curious. Or... am I perhaps trippin' regarding the similarities? In fact, I hope I am, I really hope its just me.

Can someone please share an objective opinion?
I dont understand what you mean?
You think the track you posted is not made by them?
The track is definitely made by them.

Its just that its similarities with another track from the 90s bothers me because it is referenced only to themselves and not anyone else.

Then again, maybe its just me.
what track from the 90s then?

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

Hades wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:40 am
gedda wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:30 am

any links ?
would love to check them out.
Thanks for asking, but I've evolved a lot since then and I don't really see that release as a part of who I am today. Still grateful for the folks at Bonzai though.

henry1
Chernobyl

Post by henry1 »

what track from the 90s then?
Mike Push
Universal Nation