Sharing a studio space: Experiences?

General Chat // Music Discussion
saffron
Opposite
Sharing a studio space: Experiences?

Post by saffron »

So, I've recently been weighing up the idea of sharing a studio space with a few other producers, and wanted to know whether any of you have had experiences doing this and whether you'd recommend it?

I'm currently producing at home, and unable to create a good acoustic space for mixing, so I think this would be a good transition.
It would also be great to share equipment. An arrangement with two other producers where each had person had the space for a couple of days a week would be perfect.

Of course, If anyone here's based in Berlin and looking for something similar, get in touch :D

Would be interested in hearing what other people experiences were like!

Ben Kohonays
Quaint
Re: Sharing a studio space: Experiences?

Post by Ben Kohonays »

I haven't had that specific experience but I will say: put things in writing.

Might sound silly now, but down the line when things become 'comfortable' or start to change there is the possibility of conflict.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:46 am
I haven't had that specific experience but I will say: put things in writing.

Might sound silly now, but down the line when things become 'comfortable' or start to change there is the possibility of conflict.
I agree. This is good advice.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

I share a studio space. Let me explain the situation and afterwards give my advise to you.

It's with my best friend (know him for over 15 years now, for how long and how well you know someone makes a lot of difference). We also have our (music based) company in that same studio space. the space being a studio and us being there often and inviting people (our friends and other artists) over makes it a busy place sometimes. sometimes I'm there alone and sometimes he is. We try to be there together on most days, we are always there together on Fridays. We both have our own key so we can enter and leave the building whenever we feel like it (this is also important, we didn't have that at our last studio and one key for two persons makes things a bit more complicated). We agree on most things and we know most friends from each other well. If one of us needs some alone time in the studio he can just say it and the other will almost always accept. We don't have things written down, so every agreement is verbal and some are made along the way through trail and tribulation. The communication is open, if we are bothered or think some things work out well, we tell each other and we listen to each other. And one of the most important things; we trust each other.
We have the studio for about 1,5 years now and it's working out for us.

The situation i'm in works well for me. It's with my best friend who I know quite a while now. We been through some good and some bad times and know each other very well.
How well do you know the person you want to share a studio with? This is important because u should be able to rely on the other person when you agree on stuff and share equipment together. Equipment can be broken and so can agreements. When you don't know someone that well, it's easier for them to lie to you and deny things (I know, not always, but in general it is). e.g. 'no, I don't know how that knob of the synthesizer broke off, I sure didn't touch it'.

Which brings me to my next point; make sure your stuff is well insured and that the insurance covers, even if you split the rent/ownership of the space.

If you don't know the person well enough I also advise you to write agreements down. What's allowed and what not. Do you have fixed days (if so who is allowed there on what days) when you can make music there (keep in mind that making music is not always a proces you can force)? Are there other people (guests) allowed? How about food/drinks/smoking in the studio? Who pays the rent (who is the main tenant)? Who cleans up, what is 'clean' for you and what does the same word mean to the other person. The may seem very basic and small things, but can grow big over time.

I wouldn't have shared a studio space with someone else except him. That it because music is a big part of my life and I don't want to many strings attached to it. I want to be able to feel free in the space I use for it and I want the space to feel right when I step in, this is important for my workflow and pleasure making music.
My friend has the same view and we agree on most things. If we don't agree we at least know we can discuss it with the other person. That's also very important for us.

Perhaps it might seem like i'm over thinking it, but like Ben states correctly (in my point of view):
when things become 'comfortable' or start to change there is the possibility of conflict.

saffron
Opposite

Post by saffron »

Although it now seems obvious, I think from your responses, i realise I've been under thinking how much trust you need to share a studio. I can imagine there have been some nightmare experiences, actually. I'm not sure it's for me at the moment, but i'm curious whether many people have this kind of shared space.
ZenoSupreme wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:47 pm
I share a studio space. Let me explain the situation and afterwards give my advise to you.
Hey, thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you've got a great setup. It's interesting to hear what sharing a studio practically means (I hadn't thought of the cleaning). I guess doing it with an old trusted friend is the way to go too!

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

i would only do it with friends to be honest. Or atleast people i know already..

Skullrattler
quasi-public

Post by Skullrattler »

Sounds like a recipe or disaster unless it's a computer based setup or each has their own gear (which is not touched by others) and only the speakers (and perhaps the computer, with separate user accounts) are shared. I would still have my own hard drive, because people make mistakes and things get moved/deleted.