Gotta love Gearslutz

General Chat // Music Discussion
Revaron
reverse genius
Re: Gotta love Gearslutz

Post by Revaron »

I was thinking bagpipes for much of it. I mean, it's shit as far as I'm concerned, but I've no doubt he'd say the same about my own efforts, so fair play to him and anyone else who has a proper go! One of many reasons why music is ace...

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Way ahead of the game that lad, I find it quite inspiring.

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

it's again one more proof that minimalism is key in life... :D

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

yeah, that dude is bonkers. ...and so full of himself, he has no idea.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

I like that there are characters like this in the world.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Mslwte wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:58 pm
just cos you dont get it, doesn't mean its not any good. this guy is enjoying himself. i actually think its quite good, in its own way.
Enjoying himself is fine. But still :shock:

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

But still what? Please make us a video on how to produce the perfect BMB track, the perfect lo shizzle turotial...
I know these days I'm a little over sensitive, but looking at some of the comments, this thread makes me somewhat sad. Only a few weeks ago, Planar pleaded for a more positive vibe when talking about member tracks. It makes me think twice whether I should present my tracks here or not. Over the years I've grown, but I'm not the confident man I want to be, and this thread is not helping.

I like having a go/laugh at someone, but not at the expense of that person's well being.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Mslwte wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:58 pm
just cos you dont get it, doesn't mean its not any good. this guy is enjoying himself. i actually think its quite good, in its own way.
I don't know if james is being sarcastic or not BUT this still sounds better than autechre imho. and to be honest people like this live in a completely different world, they may not have people telling them what they're doing is shit so they improve. they live in this gearslutz bubble where everyone tells them what they want to hear.
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

My only issue is that the guy was on gearslutz talking the talk, but then posted a video of his music and quite clearly couldn't walk the walk.

But yeah, I guess I forgot we are in the new age where everyone is a winner and everyone gets a medal just for taking part.

Well done Timmy, you didn't come last, don't cry, you came 450th, here's your medal you special little winner.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

mainst09 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 am
I don't know if james is being sarcastic or not BUT this still sounds better than autechre imho. ...
lol, what?!

man, just sell your synths now.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Haha
New Shit

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

well, I kinda cornered myself here, so I can only say it is mainst09 his opinion, although it is one I don't understand, at all/of course.
A philosophical exercise perhaps?

I've seen people going crazy over weirder and worse shit than the sounds presented in the GS video. Mostly people with home made instruments/pedals making noise. Can be fun! Mostly not, or just for five minutes. Live Coding events anyone? From a technical point of view: impressive! Entertaining? Not for me. Modular noodlings? Contemporary music?
I was on a mission for a while, way back, trying to convince every friend I had how big a genious Zappa was, or Autechre. Didn't really work.

Maybe my reaction came more from the realization that not that long ago, my own stuff wasn't really that much, well, 'better' as in 'more conventional'.

In all fairness, I can't remember the guy asking for a pat on the back. And yes, it is clear his engineering skills are as good as his gear, and his advice, although in good faith, is questionable. He isn't a type like Soulstar (or what was that guy here on Subsekt some years ago?) now, is he?

Mmmh, typing all this, the discussion seems so pointless. If we were sitting in a room together, we would have had a good laugh, some 'nah' and 'well...', and then move on...
Looks can be deceiving, but the guy doesn't look conventional. We should embrace all the weirdos of the world.
Andy

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Oh no one is saying weirdos shouldn't exist.
New Shit

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

A small anecdote, a true story... In the nineties in Antwerp, when we was young, there was a small but healthy underground/squat/rave scene. There was this young guy that would show up at events. A small, chubby guy, with greasy long hair and thick glasses, mostly standing alone, drinking pop soda. My mate who had a (mostly) hardcore label, knew the fellow a bit, and he let me hear a cassette he was given by that dude. Weird guitar stuff and sound manipulations, but not the Buckethead type of stuff, unfortunately. Noise, yes, but not really Merzbow either.
Anyway, our friend kept at it, got better, kept sending out cassettes to fanzines. And after a few years, he got a letter from Lee Ranaldo, saying he liked his stuff very much. He didn't get rich and famous, but he put out music, has been to places around the world, met people, got more social, he found a place for him and his music, how small (but global) that scene may be.
That could very well be that guy in the GS video some day (if it isn't already).

Ha! I expected more from Subsekt than tar and feathers for the innocent loners of the world. Let's get back to the gossip thread! It's more in line with my morality to have a good laugh over there.

youtu.be/zrzMhU_4m-g
Andy

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

mainst09 wrote:
I don't know if james is being sarcastic or not BUT this still sounds better than autechre imho.

Really, haha...

https://youtu.be/pU7-yr70ntw?t=1936

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

borg wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:39 am
But still what? Please make us a video on how to produce the perfect BMB track, the perfect lo shizzle turotial...
I know these days I'm a little over sensitive, but looking at some of the comments, this thread makes me somewhat sad. Only a few weeks ago, Planar pleaded for a more positive vibe when talking about member tracks. It makes me think twice whether I should present my tracks here or not. Over the years I've grown, but I'm not the confident man I want to be, and this thread is not helping.

I like having a go/laugh at someone, but not at the expense of that person's well being.
I am not sure whether to reply to that or whether it will just wind you up more, but I wasn't really commenting on the music as much as that post to the GS thread advice being terribly out of context.

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

buonacc wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:35 pm
mainst09 wrote:
I don't know if james is being sarcastic or not BUT this still sounds better than autechre imho. ...
lol, what?!

man, just sell your synths now.
hahah i'm all digital :D
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

My point here is not that he should have a pat in the back, im just saying this kind of people live in another world man, i'm pretty sure they don't go to the streets much haha, they probably have a sad life... or not lmao
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

CRDM wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:55 am
mainst09 wrote:
I don't know if james is being sarcastic or not BUT this still sounds better than autechre imho.

Really, haha...

hahaha man for a reason i've put "imho" because i just cant stand autechre and will never understand and this comes from a guy who likes aphex twin or darkpsy haha. My brain just cant understand autechre tbh i've tried several times but not for me tho.
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

mainst09 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:42 am
CRDM wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:55 am
mainst09 wrote:

Really, haha...

hahaha man for a reason i've put "imho" because i just cant stand autechre and will never understand and this comes from a guy who likes aphex twin or darkpsy haha. My brain just cant understand autechre tbh i've tried several times but not for me tho.

Each to his own man, I don't mind if you don't like Autechre or like this music,- just a funny comment. You should let him know, he'd probs not know what to make of that comment haha. ' I prefer your music to Autechre but don't like them'.