Peggy Gou Criticism On Twatter

General Chat // Music Discussion
juodas
Indirection
Re: Peggy Gou Criticism On Twatter

Post by juodas »

jordanneke wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:55 pm
I'm about done with the internet. It makes me despair about us. It really does. It has opened a lot of doors, and a lot of them were worth keeping closed.

There seems to be absolutely no middle ground on anything, thanks to the internet.

youtu.be/fYiwrUbfw1A
WEll that's a really good example over here :D

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

jordanneke wrote:
I'm about done with the internet. It makes me despair about us. It really does. It has opened a lot of doors, and a lot of them were worth keeping closed.
This is true. I wonder if Tim Berners Lee knew his platform to digitize a global library would spawn 4Chan, Katie Hopkins and Brexit he'd have buried it, like the scientist that was looking for a cure but unwittingly brought down mankind - "I was only trying to do good but then the corporations got involved."

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

[wesellboxes] wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:10 am
jordanneke wrote:
This is true. I wonder if Tim Berners Lee knew his platform to digitize a global library would spawn 4Chan, Katie Hopkins and Brexit he'd have buried it, like the scientist that was looking for a cure but unwittingly brought down mankind - "I was only trying to do good but then the corporations got involved."
A whole lot of those tech pioneers were naive hippies, so no wonder they are surprised how it went.

I am more worried about the surveillance problem. The Internet has in principle eradicated all notion of privacy as the hippies didn't really see that as a problem (information wants to be "free" and all that bullshit).

dommminic
fancy woman

Post by dommminic »

RWise wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:14 pm
Side note: when the fuck has peggy gou ever been remotely involved with the techno scene anyway?

Shes always made housey cuts and now basically just makes pop music dressed up as house music.
Exactly. She makes incredibly catchy house/pop hybrids which receive airplay on peak-time national radio. Why people are upset about her taking money from Nike to DJ is beyond me.

As an aside, I think some of her music is great. Just because Resident Advisor have an article about her and someone like Jeff Mills/DVS1/Objekt side-by-side doesn't mean that they need to be considered as part of the same 'scene'. I have never heard anyone say that Peggy Gou is a techno DJ before reading this thread.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

dommminic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:16 am
Just because Resident Advisor have an article about her and someone like Jeff Mills/DVS1/Objekt side-by-side doesn't mean that they need to be considered as part of the same 'scene'.
I've never actually heard her sets or her productions, I presumed she did ket vest, tech house which is why I brought it up.

Regardless it's all part of the same greater eco-system though and has knock on effect.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Another thing that makes me lose faith in almost everything, which is directly related to this is the fucking comments under articles.

I don't know how many of you read both the right and left wing press online, but the fucking comments (particularly by, but not limited to right wing)
underneath news stories are fucking horrible. People say the most bigoted things, it's disgraceful.

50 muslims killed - 'They deserve it'
Racist abuse at football player 'Yeah, but what about anti white racism?' 'Blacks should ignore it'
Woman does something 'Fucking women'

I see why RA stopped accepting comments, and it's nothing to do with being like 'North Korea' as was suggested in the linked article. I mean even here we've had to moderate stuff (my words included).

It seems as though people's base instincts are to be absolute cunts to each other, especially when there's the added protection of anonymity. It makes my sick.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I hope that the bubble bursts quickly; I'm tired of techno getting whored like nowadays.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

agree with Jordan 100%

one of our national newspapers removed the comment section last year. it was over due. the various opinions & sub-arguments genuinely took away from the actual news story. same 5 or 6 people.. same poison.. every time. you could predict it before you clicked, based on the headline.

It's a pity, as I do think that an uncomfortable, or inconvenient truth sometimes gets highlighted in comments, especially from long time users who can't help but call out a pattern or trend. there could be a chance that it's easier to delete than to deal with it/ change. it depends. I'd say the internal culture of RA & people connected with 'that scene' , totally believe that their reality / beliefs are the right ones. Pure groupthink. There's too much to lose. Why take the engines off the plane while you're flying? :D

Read the definition on Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenonthat occurs within a group of people in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluationof alternative viewpoints by actively suppressing dissenting viewpoints, and by isolating themselves from outside influences.

Groupthink requires individuals to avoid raising controversial issues or alternative solutions, and there is loss of individual creativity, uniqueness and independent thinking. The dysfunctional group dynamicsof the "ingroup" produces an "illusion of invulnerability" (an inflated certainty that the right decision has been made). Thus the "ingroup" significantly overrates its own abilities in decision-making and significantly underrates the abilities of its opponents (the "outgroup"). Furthermore, groupthink can produce dehumanizing actions against the "outgroup".

Antecedent factors such as group cohesiveness, faulty group structure, and situational context (e.g., community panic) play into the likelihood of whether or not groupthink will impact the decision-making process.

Groupthink is a construct of social psychology but has an extensive reach and influences literature in the fields of communication studies, political science, management, and organizational theory,[1] as well as important aspects of deviant religious cultbehaviour.[2][3]
Same as work. or with friends : You're either on the inside or you're on the outside.

We're (some of us are) in the outgroup on this one.

However.. people's comments, those that shoot from the hip, immature & ignorant.. not balanced; they never help in any way at all. It's just horrible noise. Always. That's the challenge though.. everyone has an equal voice? or do they?

I guess that's why regulars stop engaging &/or leave.. which is a shame as every community requires balance. The risk of hastag mob mentality is never far away. People are firmly trained now.. and without being able to verify the intentions of 'elders', how do people know what's real or not? or what is well thought out or not?

Marketing, fake news & clickbait nonsense. Lots of interviews, reviews, mixes & YT feature vids are just infomercials. Cool infomercials.

social media has made it easier for people to row in behind pre-rolled ideas. peoole don't engage at the same frequency without this. easier to #copycat or do a heart ♡ <3 or thumbs up. Few want to risk the backlash of going against the grain with a personal opinion. it's not safe. People want praise. The internet promotes groupthink.

This can be a good thing: RATM - Killing in the name of - Xmas no.1 , which stopped xfactor or whatever..

&.. not so good: Boaty McBoatface. *doublefacepalm*

Stop thinking. Follow the leader. Collect all the pretty & shiny things. Baa like a sheep. Yawn.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Trom
Wastedddd

Post by Trom »

RWise wrote:
Side note: when the fuck has peggy gou ever been remotely involved with the techno scene anyway?

Shes always made housey cuts and now basically just makes pop music dressed up as house music.
My thoughts as well. Including everyone with a RA profile under the umbrella "techno" is not really helping the case here either...
jordanneke wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:23 am
It seems as though people's base instincts are to be absolute cunts to each other, especially when there's the added protection of anonymity. It makes my sick.
Its sad indeed. I do think its more about virtue signaling and showing commitment and loyalty to your group, as Críoch also touches on, more than peoples desires to be cunts towards each other. Result is the same though.

I think the "problem" is that evolution didn't prepare us for internet and social media much... Or, more accurately, running capitalism as the operating system on which most technological development builds on is less than optimal for proper long term risk assessment and evasion. We keep facing human nature with new technologies and unnatural situations (from an evolutionary point of view) with what seems as little regard for possible negative consequences.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

There is, not an upside, to this, more an alternative path.
I say this with all seriousness, but the term "keep it underground" applies.
Network with like minds, keep things around those networks.
There is this trickle down thinking that comes from an American sensibility where everything must be about growth and "success".
And along with that comes the idea that elitism is in some way snobby or elitist.
It's not, or it doesn't have to be, it can be about maintaining and supporting certain principles, and keeping your community mindful of those principles.
Everyone likes to go on about bergroin and it's wonderful selective door policy. Well you can do with with your scene and your music, and it doesn't have to be based on fucking image.

For my general moaning gitness about this stuff, I have managed to keep myself amongst a community of principled people with passion, art and being nice people at the centre of ethos.

For all my hard shell, I'm a teddy bear, the shell is like a burgler alarm, it affords me a degree of protection. I deal with small underground scenes, events, labels.
Everyone I deal with is genuine, they wear their hearts on their sleeves, there's more humbleness, more community spirit, the music remains dynamic and exciting. I've staunchly and intentionally remained within this. Sure occasionally I might dip in to a more well known label now and again but generally it's more about how I am approached than me aiming for a status label.
Most of my relationships within that become friendships pretty quickly. And within that we all look for and gravitate towards the same type of people.
Yes it is small, the parties at most are like 500-800 people absolute tops, but they feel special, there is more of a.. well a community atmosphere.
For me it's perfect in terms of places to play, I can take risks, do things musically live that a mainstream crowd would be baffled by, because the crowd are more open minded, more understanding of the music. It's very liberating actually.
And in turn it frees me from having to conform in any way, I don't have to do "hits" or worry about straying too far from the techno template.
I gig far less, and I pick and choose what I say yes or no to, and it is a luxury in that I don't have to pay my rent with gig money, but that is intentional. It means it's not a job.
2, 3 gigs a week might seem ideal, your ego might push you for it, your cock might get hard but those 3 gigs mean a lot less, and all you experience is the momentary ego wank of the playing itself. Everything else is a commute hotels, planes, taxis, dinner, breakfast, gig, bed, travel....

For example did a gig recently. A mate was on the same bill, he has entered the gravy train I am speaking of, as he has made the music his main income. He played another well known club in another country the night before.
He had 4 hours sleep, then did the whole airports and travel and shit. Got back to this country, got to the club, set his gear up, went back to bed in a VIP space as he was knackered. Woke up about half an hour before his set, the played, then I spoke to him after. He was fucked, his mind half empty.
He wasn't really in the vibe when he was playing.

For some that is their lives. Empty and tired playing gigs but not being part of them. It can become an act.

I won't do that and I don't. For me a gig is special, I will only do 1 on a weekend, I hang out with the people doing the party, I get to see their way of life and culture. I meet their people outside of the party. We see stuff, they show me their Hangouts.
When I play the club I've usually already met some of the people when we have been out and about, so already it feels more like a community.
I get to know the people supporting the scene at Grass Roots, the people supporting me, and it's a mutual support. I don't take the piss with fees, I don't ask for fucking 5 star hotels, I'm happy to stay with the promoters, it's nice to be invited in to their homes, I prefer it. It all means something. We share our culture our life stories, what's going on, our passions.
Most of the people I consider my people are like this.
Our desires are music and art with passion. It's not about careers and growth and trying to be the next Fucking pop idol, wanky disengenuous photos of your kit bag in an airport with "Thank you Berlin" or whatever written in the post.
Fuck that shit.
My weekends finish with a genuine hug, an exchange of phone numbers and an ongoing conversation.
Sometimes I return to these cities just to visit.
Sometimes people come to London and we meet up, I take them around my city, they come to my place.
It's all very personal, not a business transaction.

It can be lovely.

If you pursue the mediocre commercial side of it, it will never be like that. You are booked because you draw xxxx people, not necessarily because the promoters are passionate about what you do.
The promoters want to big themselves up by playing on a bill with a person who draws xxxx people so they can be the person eventually who gets booked because they play to xxxx people.
The parties are just a place to play to xxxx people.
You only release on labels that are hot and have a reach of xxxx people and get xxxx likes on fartbox or shitecloud..

It's about numbers. Numbers of people or dollar bills or likes. Fuck that shit.

We are Subsekt right?

Build your communities, find the good people, make beautiful risky unsafe music and trust people to understand it. Wear your fucking heart on your sleeve. Be a real person. Put love into it.
Risk rejection.
Go all the way, or don't even start.

I'll fucking support you.
That's what the Subsekt label is about right?

This place is a seed of what I am talking about.

Together we are strong right?

I typed this on the train and I'm not re-reading it, so expect worse grammar and spelling than usual.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

jordanneke wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:23 am
Another thing that makes me lose faith in almost everything, which is directly related to this is the fucking comments under articles.

I don't know how many of you read both the right and left wing press online, but the fucking comments (particularly by, but not limited to right wing)
underneath news stories are fucking horrible. People say the most bigoted things, it's disgraceful.

50 muslims killed - 'They deserve it'
Racist abuse at football player 'Yeah, but what about anti white racism?' 'Blacks should ignore it'
Woman does something 'Fucking women'

I see why RA stopped accepting comments, and it's nothing to do with being like 'North Korea' as was suggested in the linked article. I mean even here we've had to moderate stuff (my words included).

Agree on a lot of this but the RA comments weren't that bad imo. Whether they belong on a music magazine site is another question. But I think they primarily pulled them when people started criticizing their business model.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

quoting Trom
sad indeed. I do think its more about virtue signaling and showing commitment and loyalty to your group...

I think the "problem" is that evolution didn't prepare us for internet and social media much...

I've probably said it before.. but with the absence of organised religion in most people's lives, hitting that like button or having a go at certain groups of people / joining an internet campaign , gives people an opportunity to show to others that they are a 'good person'.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:35 pm
There is this trickle down thinking that comes from an American sensibility where everything must be about growth and "success".
And along with that comes the idea that elitism is in some way snobby or elitist.
It's not, or it doesn't have to be, it can be about maintaining and supporting certain principles, and keeping your community mindful of those principles.
Everyone likes to go on about bergroin and it's wonderful selective door policy. Well you can do with with your scene and your music, and it doesn't have to be based on fucking image.

For my general moaning gitness about this stuff, I have managed to keep myself amongst a community of principled people with passion, art and being nice people at the centre of ethos.

For all my hard shell, I'm a teddy bear, the shell is like a burgler alarm, it affords me a degree of protection. I deal with small underground scenes, events, labels.
Everyone I deal with is genuine, they wear their hearts on their sleeves, there's more humbleness, more community spirit, the music remains dynamic and exciting. I've staunchly and intentionally remained within this. Sure occasionally I might dip in to a more well known label now and again but generally it's more about how I am approached than me aiming for a status label.
Most of my relationships within that become friendships pretty quickly. And within that we all look for and gravitate towards the same type of people.
Yes it is small, the parties at most are like 500-800 people absolute tops, but they feel special, there is more of a.. well a community atmosphere.
For me it's perfect in terms of places to play, I can take risks, do things musically live that a mainstream crowd would be baffled by, because the crowd are more open minded, more understanding of the music. It's very liberating actually.
And in turn it frees me from having to conform in any way, I don't have to do "hits" or worry about straying too far from the techno template.
I gig far less, and I pick and choose what I say yes or no to, and it is a luxury in that I don't have to pay my rent with gig money, but that is intentional. It means it's not a job.
2, 3 gigs a week might seem ideal, your ego might push you for it, your cock might get hard but those 3 gigs mean a lot less, and all you experience is the momentary ego wank of the playing itself. Everything else is a commute hotels, planes, taxis, dinner, breakfast, gig, bed, travel....

For example did a gig recently. A mate was on the same bill, he has entered the gravy train I am speaking of, as he has made the music his main income. He played another well known club in another country the night before.
He had 4 hours sleep, then did the whole airports and travel and shit. Got back to this country, got to the club, set his gear up, went back to bed in a VIP space as he was knackered. Woke up about half an hour before his set, the played, then I spoke to him after. He was fucked, his mind half empty.

For some that is their lives. Empty and tired playing gigs but not being part of them. It can become an act.

I won't do that and I don't. For me a gig is special, I will only do 1 on a weekend, I hang out with the people doing the party, I get to see their way of life and culture. I meet their people outside of the party. We see stuff, they show me their Hangouts.
When I play the club I've usually already met some of the people when we have been out and about, so already it feels more like a community.
I get to know the people supporting the scene at Grass Roots, the people supporting me, and it's a mutual support. I don't take the piss with fees, I don't ask for fucking 5 star hotels, I'm happy to stay with the promoters, it's nice to be invited in to their homes, I prefer it. It all means something. We share our culture our life stories, what's going on, our passions.
Our desires are music and art with passion. It's not about careers and growth and trying to be the next Fucking pop idol, wanky disengenuous photos of your kit bag in an airport with "Thank you Berlin" or whatever written in the post.
Fuck that shit.
My weekends finish with a genuine hug, an exchange of phone numbers and an ongoing conversation.
Sometimes people come to London and we meet up, I take them around my city, they come to my place.

It can be lovely.

If you pursue the mediocre commercial side of it, it will never be like that. You are booked because you draw xxxx people, not necessarily because the promoters are passionate about what you do.
The promoters want to big themselves up by playing on a bill with a person who draws xxxx people so they can be the person eventually who gets booked because they play to xxxx people.
You only release on labels that are hot and have a reach of xxxx people and get xxxx likes on fartbox or shitecloud..

We are Subsekt right?

Build your communities, find the good people, make beautiful risky unsafe music and trust people to understand it. Wear your fucking heart on your sleeve. Be a real person. Put love into it.
Risk rejection.

I typed this on the train and I'm not re-reading it, so expect worse grammar and spelling than usual.
well said.
FUCK-WIT

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

^^ +1 <3 ♡

:)

Deffo Steve.. that personal connection beats all. Nourishes the soul.

I know you've seen an amount of it going way back to the Dirty Bass stuff. It's easier to make good choices when you know what the alternatives look like.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

dommminic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:16 am
RWise wrote:

Exactly. She makes incredibly catchy house/pop hybrids which receive airplay on peak-time national radio. Why people are upset about her taking money from Nike to DJ is beyond me.

As an aside, I think some of her music is great. Just because Resident Advisor have an article about her and someone like Jeff Mills/DVS1/Objekt side-by-side doesn't mean that they need to be considered as part of the same 'scene'. I have never heard anyone say that Peggy Gou is a techno DJ before reading this thread.
In fairness, I think this whole drama episode started because people were calling out RA for tweet-spamming about her, and it subsequently was conflated with criticism being targeted at *her* .

It's a separate debate as to why a "publication" (for lack of better term for an e-magazine) like RA is reposting #nike bullshit. Brands like Nike, Gucci, etc are only interested music and artists they can successfully commodify, and could give less than a shit about the rest of the underlying scene. If an artist wants to take that money and exposure then fine, that's completely their prerogative, but they should also consider it a type of self-selection away from the rest of the scene which remains "underground."

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Fuck that shit.

It can be lovely.

We are Subsekt right?

Risk rejection.

Absolutely bang on!

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

it is Music Business though, isn't it? i was at IMS Asia music conference previously and they were talking about how the goal was to find 'local' talent and 'more women' for the scene (EDM scene generally), but they had Hollywood talent agency there too. you are a brand which corporate brands want to leverage for coolness.

it was clear when Peggy Guo first appeared in mixmag that she was going to be big: she is good looking, fashionable, ethnic, female and she played tunes which were not the standard "Woman who DJs" tracks but actually showed some knowledge of music and the capacity to dig instead of just the Beatport 100 and a skimpy top. she was/is also sellable to the media because she doesn't look like Black Madonna and Octo Octa on one side of the female scale or the InstaHastagTechno Thots on the other. she is also not white, which is, and you can froth all you want about it, important when selling a new brand. Japan as a culture has been done, Korea is where cool hunters go because China is the ultimate destination but it is still too difficult to find chinese cool, so Korean cool is an easy step for westerners who are looking to cool hunt.

so peggy guo was just the right product in the right place. who cares about her getting $40k from Nike? i remember seeing Felix Da Housecat interviewed at T in the Park where he said "I'm always happy to play the Slam Tent, because Daddy needs a new watch". so the idea of people doing it for the art and people doing it for the money are always living together in the same space.

i've listened to several peggy guo sets on youtube and there was a mixmag rooftop one which was pretty good, a dekmantel one which was so-so, i'd have been disappointed if i had went to it IRL and this one which i thought was pretty boring to listen to and skipped through most of it:

youtu.be/-UOMvxh4MYU

Berghain killed techno because it fetishized it, it made the idea of going to a techno club the thing to do, it was exclusive and cool and people bought into the hype. then it spread.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

winston wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:45 am
Berghain killed techno because it fetishized it, it made the idea of going to a techno club the thing to do, it was exclusive and cool and people bought into the hype. then it spread.
I definitely think that is a large part of it.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

winston wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:45 am
it is Music Business though, isn't it? i was at IMS Asia music conference previously and they were talking about how the goal was to find 'local' talent and 'more women' for the scene (EDM scene generally), but they had Hollywood talent agency there too. you are a brand which corporate brands want to leverage for coolness.

it was clear when Peggy Guo first appeared in mixmag that she was going to be big: she is good looking, fashionable, ethnic, female and she played tunes which were not the standard "Woman who DJs" tracks but actually showed some knowledge of music and the capacity to dig instead of just the Beatport 100 and a skimpy top. she was/is also sellable to the media because she doesn't look like Black Madonna and Octo Octa on one side of the female scale or the InstaHastagTechno Thots on the other. she is also not white, which is, and you can froth all you want about it, important when selling a new brand. Japan as a culture has been done, Korea is where cool hunters go because China is the ultimate destination but it is still too difficult to find chinese cool, so Korean cool is an easy step for westerners who are looking to cool hunt.
Spot on analysis. You should work for a marketing agency.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Nah nah nah. Bumload and Whoretits? killed techno.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths