DVS1 vs the industry

General Chat // Music Discussion
Root
BANNED
DVS1 vs the industry

Post by Root »

Some lovely and sharp words about whats going on. I liked DVS1 for his views for long now, it should happen way more often that people take their time to sit down, listen and think about content instead of consuming unthinking.

Only fb link available..

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=570570273457743
:geek:

Monreal
You only live once
Re: DVS1 vs the industry

Post by Monreal »

I'm sure he's a really cool guy but man he's been preaching the same thing over and over again for years, it's getting annoying.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

No one at his level is saying what he is saying though.

I kinda freaks me out that his philosophy is even considered innovative or whatever.
Not his fault, he's bringing something back that I have always considered how it should be.
But my history is in rave and soundsystem culture.
It IS the best way to experience dance music.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Monreal wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:09 pm
I'm sure he's a really cool guy but man he's been preaching the same thing over and over again for years, it's getting annoying.
And he keeps preaching it because these core values seem to be getting lost more and more in this scene.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Love Zak, such a true artist that speaks from the heart.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

RWise wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:51 pm
Monreal wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:09 pm
And he keeps preaching it because these core values seem to be getting lost more and more in this scene.
Exactly. It needs to be repeated - also because there will (luckily) still arrive new kids to the scenes, and somebody has to teach them!

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

I blame Easyjet. Technotouristen raus!

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

chava wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:33 pm
I blame Easyjet. Technotouristen raus!
I love that there is a book on the Berlin Scene called "something-something and the Easy Jetset" :D

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

He's got some solid points.
It's nice to see there's still people like him at that level indeed.

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

Fair play and if a good point needs restating fire away.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I still can't get over how perfect his track 'Pressure' is.

That shit is still fire.

But, the whole rise of festivals..Unless someone re-starts building a scene, using warehouses, convincing developers that clubs are needed, how the fuck is this going to change?

Maybe what's needed is one of those disco-destruction disco sucks things that happened in the late 70's (without the racism) to re-set the whole thing back to zero...

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

It's easy really and something I've thought a bit about lately.

There is no stopping the large corporate business machine. But promoters can take control again by running smaller nights locally and not seeking to book "stars" and playing newer styles of music. Just do things differently.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Mslwte wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm
There is no stopping the large corporate business machine. But promoters can take control again by running smaller nights locally and not seeking to book "stars" and playing newer styles of music. Just do things differently.
That's what you could consider in Berlin, but sadly even over here in Frankfurt (we used to have a fucking big scene) the crowd is so heavily bumcode and techhouse focused ("slam that kick drum, yeaaah, bumm bumm bumm" is what they scream at me when djing).. Local clubs would lose money when doing smaller and more 'good music' based clubnights. One club used to have a super nice concept: do some really big bumcode partys throughout the month, earn enough money and then be able to do some great friday nights with only one floor, three local heroes and one underground headliner. But it looks they can't afford this anymore as there's not enough guests coming. Mainstream is eating the underground in a really bad way atm. I mean we're doing small raves and stuff, but it's pretty hard to find the right crowd for this, as they all are on the wrong path..

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

There are more options than clubs though. Small bars, hotels, woods, empty buildings/ spaces. Create something new.

If you can build a relationship with a small bar, start with Sunday afternoons etc until you get a following and the bar owner gets more confidence in who is running the event. The bar takes the drink money, promoter takes the door.

Group together with friends and split the costs.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Yep, that's what we do for years now.. But even with that approach it's pretty hard these days not to have a lot of idiots coming around. Only thing I'm hoping is that they take a little spirit with them and come back nicer :)

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

This place is ripe for setting up a network of small events.

People spread out in different places, guesting at each other's nights or just travelling to support them. I know that could be quite a commitment and could take a bit of organising but I think it's a great idea.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I'm an old man, and haven't been clubbing regularly for a long time, so there's a great chance I don't know what I'm talking about.

Is clubbing something that kids still do weekly? I mean back in the 90's we'd go to clubs 2x a week as students, at least 1x per week when we started working. Proper clubs, not bars. Seeing resident dj's was enough of a draw to still go. Mind you in Birmingham we had 6 top venues to choose from all within 2 miles of each other. I think this has died. Kids seem to go out monthly now, at best.

Secondly can you even make enough money to break even with such an approach nowadays? Isn't everything about media and marketing? With this whole immediacy that the internet/social media has brought it's created a beast. Is anyone going to come without some serious social media investment AND a 'top' flight dj.

I hope I'm wrong, but the idea of a grassroots thing seems too pie in the sky. I think the landscape has changed. Unless you start an entirely new youth movement like gabba, dnb, or grime I suppose

The only thing I think will work is when techno and house start to be uncool again...The scene is like disco in the 70's...we need it to be like disco in the early 80's.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

jordanneke wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:53 am
Is clubbing something that kids still do weekly? I mean back in the 90's we'd go to clubs 2x a week as students, at least 1x per week when we started working. Proper clubs, not bars. Seeing resident dj's was enough of a draw to still go. Mind you in Birmingham we had 6 top venues to choose from all within 2 miles of each other. I think this has died. Kids seem to go out monthly now, at best.
I know a few old head promoters from the house scene and they say this is the key difference. Kids today tend to save themselves for festivals, trips to europe or big venue events like Printworks or Warehouse Project. There's still room for one or two clubs in most major UK cities, rotating monthly events every weekend, but it's not the same faces every weekend like it used to be.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

jordanneke wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:53 am
I'm an old man, and haven't been clubbing regularly for a long time, so there's a great chance I don't know what I'm talking about.

Secondly can you even make enough money to break even with such an approach nowadays? Isn't everything about media and marketing? With this whole immediacy that the internet/social media has brought it's created a beast. Is anyone going to come without some serious social media investment AND a 'top' flight dj.

I hope I'm wrong, but the idea of a grassroots thing seems too pie in the sky. I think the landscape has changed. Unless you start an entirely new youth movement like gabba, dnb, or grime I suppose

The only thing I think will work is when techno and house start to be uncool again...The scene is like disco in the 70's...we need it to be like disco in the early 80's.
I am also old so I also prettyy much don't know shit, but to me there seems to be a movement towards harder/faster techno, either industrial/EBM/wave or trancey, like this new scene in my hometown (Copenhagen). I don't really like it much, but to me there's a entuasiasm that's genuine.

Overall I think the music is pretty wack this Boiler Room I wouldn't mind attending as the vibe seems to be pretty allright (contrary to ANY other Boiler Room i've seen) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee1TWHoCRM

or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8BkFYAvXJs (same event). And this guy even plays vinyl! WTF?!

Nothing of this is working without social media, though.

victer
Pig

Post by victer »

I think there is a strong demand for underground events but promoters don't go for it. Here in brussels most promoters try to find arrangements with already established venues instead of starting their own thing, which in turn means bigger capacity which leads to book international Dj's in order to sell out. This process creeps up the price of the night out which is why, I think, people don't go out as much anymore.

the problem is that etablishing an underground, grassroot community around a regular event is so difficult due to social media being a key factor. bigger venues have a large communication budget and small events tend to struggle to reach out for public. And of course promoters of small events are unable to make any kind of profit, not even enough to support and develop their activities.

That makes the practice of booking a bumcode/techouse dj in a rented club less risky than setting up underground events even though it requires a bigger investment.

great interview btw !
facebook.com/bepulsed