Techno: What, How and Why

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Techno: What, How and Why

Post by Lost to the Void »

In this topic I'd like to hear what makes music so special to you, how you got in
to it, what drives you and if serves a certain purpose or goal.
Wow.

Ok, I`ll try not to turn this into a book..

I`ve always been creative, as a kid you make things, and draw and play, and I just never stopped that attitude.
My sister was very musical, and older than me, so she played a lot of music when I was at an age when you don`t really care about it. But I guess I just really got into it. A lot of it was electronic, new wave, post punk, new romantic. So electronic music sounds were as natural to me as any others from an early age.
In my teens I got in to metal, I was always an outsider of sorts, and not many kids in my town, which was a very small conservative place, were in to anything but pop music.
I played drums at school, from age 11 going on to get my grade 8 in percussion.
My sister was in an electronic band a bit like depeche mode, so I kinda had an understanding of sequencing and synths from a young age just by taking an interest in to what she was doing.
When school finished, I joined a band with my best friend and some people we knew, who needed a drummer and bass player, it was pretty rubbish, and we soon wanted to do more interesting music so me and my best mate started our own band. Advertised for a guitarist, auditioned a load, eventually picked the guy who turned up drunk and did mad screaming solo`s. Another friend of mine was a pianist, and had a keyboard. We also found a vocalist. So I was the drummer in a band, my best mate the bass player, the singer also did rhythm guitar, and we had synths. It was a real hotch potch sound of all our influences, goth, metal, industrial, rock, grunge.
We eventually wanted more focus, me, my mate and the guitarist became a real close knit tribe, we became crazy hell bent party animals. I was studying art at college by then, with the idea of becoming an animator.
So we sacked the singer, who was just too goth and too theatrical and just "not cool". The keyboardist was too ingrained in his classical training, he wanted to do big chords and melodies and we wanted noise and pain, so he had to go.
We took on a mate of the guitarist, to operate some equipment to trigger live samples.
At that time I had discovered MED and OCTamed, on my Amiga which I had to do animation work, and I started to compose music with it, and use a primitive sampler on it (it became part of our live kit).
So we got down to a 4 piece, Drums, Guitar, Bass, Samples. Guitarist took over vocals, and our music became more focused. It was punky, industrial, with occasional melancholy. And we started to gig the circuit. The brotherhood of that was amazing, we were total animals, arrogant and self destructive, we thought we owned the world.
However, that attitude of us versus the world made us difficult to manage. We all had problems, were were all misfits and outcasts, and eventually the band fell apart, due to drugs, alcohol, women and personal problems..... It`s really a shame.
anyway, during all of this I discovered raves, me and the guitarist used to go to raves and get fucked up, we all went clubbing a lot, but tastes slowly changed from alternative clubs, to industrial clubs, to more dance and rave based clubs, as well as actual raves.
So the band split, but me and my best mate still wanted to do stuff. So we went down to a 2 piece, and decided to start using electronic gear.
We started making industrial dance, with little hints of goth (my best mate was a uber goth, I was an uber industrial (rivet) head), with influences from underworld, aphex twin, nine inch nails, sisters of mercy, ministry, joy division. I did vocals and programming, my mate did programming and guitars.
We started to play live, no one was doing this type of music around where we were at all. Eventually the guy who ran the studio we rehearsed at took us on as a manager, and we started recording at his studio rather than at home, and eventually I went to work in that studio which was an all analogue place called Jam.
We were courted by various labels and people, we had the guy who ran pinnacle distribution trying to steer us into working with XL recordings, we had michael dog of megadog after us, we were attending loads of meet and greets.
Anyway, it all went south, our manager kinda fucked it all up.
At this point I was at university studying animation, my mate was doing law, but we still kept up with the music, though we didn`t really know what to do, we knew it needed to be DIY, but the mechanisms really were not in place to do so easily and cheaply like they are today.
I lost faith in everything and moved to london, rediscovered the Rave scene post criminal justice act, and started going to squat parties.
Eventually the music I was hearing here influenced me heavily and I stopped with the industrial side of industrial dance, and just went into pure techno. My mate feared the city and wouldn`t move up there, so it put a strain on our "band" and this kinda dissipated.
Eventually I started networking with the people I was meeting at raves, and a women from a soundsystem had heard the music I was making and said, "you should come and do this live".
I said yes, but all my music was recorded, not performance, to I quickly had to work out how to play live. I did, played my first live PA in a party in an old warehouse in hackney to about thousand people, give or take. And I was hooked.
I immediately asked if I could do it again, the guy who ran the soundsystem said yes, gave me his personal number, and I started regularly playing for the rig.
eventually I was there at the end helping pack things away. Then I would turn up early to set up.
Then I started helping out at the party in general, with trouble, with the bar, with whatever.
Then I got asked "do you want to join us?"
In a scarey meeting after a party.
"we can open the door, but you have to walk through".
Essentially I joined a criminal fraternity in a way.
But I dived in, took the intiation test, long story, proved my courage and value, and I was in.
So I started breaking buildings, hunting all week for new buildings, squatting them, investing in to the rig, until I co ran it.
Then I had a voice in united systems, and it took over my life.
Anyone who ever went to a big multisystem party in london in the 90`s knows what that is about.
up to 10, 000 people each and every week turning up to illegal multisystem raves in london.
Eventually shit fell apart in the early 000`s and I had to walk away from it, there is a whole story to my rave years I shan`t go in to, but it ended.
I wanted to progress, so I decided to start a label. Well, I should say I knew someone who worked at a vinyl distributer who heard my music and told me I should release it, and I had no idea who to talk to or what to do, so he just said, "start a label, if you start a label and press these following tracks, I can sell them for sure".
So I worked it all out, started a label, and my first release sold a crazy crazy amount, and that got me in to running a label, and from there I started to get gigs internationally
Then I got sick of where I was, as I got commercial success very quickly, but I didn`t like the scene I was in, and wanted to go back underground.
So I through it all away and started a new project, which is what I am doing now/and have been doing for 6 years. Amongst all of that I graduated as an animator, but lost interest in visual arts and eventually gained the skills to do mastering.

So essentially, what was the question. Ok, that was how I got in to it.

What makes music so special to me?
Ok, well I have always created. The act of creation, of making, is like being a little god. you are making something new. That act is incredibly fulfilling, and it transcends, for me anyway, materialism. To be able to express and create really removes a lot of "suffering", in buddhist terms, as they say "all life is suffering, all desire is suffering".
I`m fairly sensitive, and have struggled with depression for a lot of my life, and art, music in particular is a great way through and out of it.
Also, with visual art, the "audience" has to participate. You have to look at a painting, a film, a book. You have to actively engage and take it in and digest it.
Music just arrives at your ears and enters your head, you have to actively decide to disengage and then do so physically, ie fingers in the ears.
So to me, music is the most direct form of expression, and yet it has the same scope as visual arts, for abstraction or order.

What drives me?
To quote Samuel Beckett, when asked about writing his answer was "I write because I have to". Well music is the same for me. I`ve always created, I have to create, the form of that creativity mostly takes the form of music.
I don`t just write techno, I do all sorts, I rarely listen to techno outside of a club.

so my answer to this is more music than techno. What I do musically happens to mostly take the form of what you might call techno, but for me it is music, I have no tribal obligation to Techno. There is no "my genre is better than your genre", for me. My music happens to take a form compatible with techno. My album, hopefully done by the end of the year, is not techno. I think it is in terms of how it is coming to be, but I doubt anyone will call it a techno album when it is finished. It is probably closer to the music I was doing when I was in a 2 man industrial act.

Does the music serve a purpose or goal?
It sustains me, it is food for my soul, it helps me exorcise my demons, and it is immensely pleasurable.
I like to share my music with an audience, but I find it weirdly draining as my music is very personal, so it isn`t necessary. I was doing this before I had an audience, and if I ever am without one, I will continue to do it.

My goal?
To keep getting better at production, and to keep expanding my skills and influences. I am working on a soundtrack next year, to a film by one of my favourite underground comic artists, so that will be fun. I want to finish my orchestral album next year as well, which is a side project I have been distracted from.
I would like to do gigs in more concert, band music, type venues rather than just clubs, as I want to do music away from being just the soundtrack to hedonism.

Hades level post complete.

I am not re-reading this, so fuck you if there are grammar and or spelling problems.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Fuck yeah! Great post Steve, im going to read it this evening. And i love the other posts as well. Cool stuff.

wapwap!
unsure

Post by wapwap! »

if the question was "what brought you into techno?", i just have to say it's because i saw something on tv with people dancing 12 hours with no breaks because they took ecstasy. and then i wanted to know.
then it's the same old story i guess..

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Epic post Steve. I love your rave stories; you should have your own thread for them. You could start with that initiation test!

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Steve is a legend. I genuinely hope he puts together a rough memoirs book.

Like Steve I've always been in to creating, as a kid I drew a lot. Sometimes it was copying stuff, but often creating from my head. I was really in to designing cars, comic strips, trainers and football kits.
My family are church goers, my grandma has an organ in her house. Several of my 9 uncles and aunts were part of the church band, playing bass guitar, drums and singing.

Growing up Motown was pretty big in my house, and also late 80s rap, hip hop, reggae and soca. I was kind of into it. But only really though default. I was supposed to go to see Michael Jackson at Wembley as part of the Bad Tour, but faked illness because I didn't want to go. My first cassette singles and LPs were from MJ and Prince.

By the age of 10 I was playing football for a proper club, and so weekly I was travelling to games. Living in a predominantly black area all my friends were into black music. Even then I never really felt connected to them or the music playing in the mini-bus.
One of my uncles is about 5-6 years older than me. So in 1992 he was around 16 and getting in to a bit of trouble (I remember it causing quite a fuss back then). Anyhow, most of his friends were white, and they had picked up on the rave thing and started going along. I used to stay over his house, and he'd tell me and my cousin who was 3 years older than me about these raves. He'd have pirate radio on, sometimes his mates would pop around. In my eyes he was the fucking man!!! But something inside was really drawn to everything he talked about. My only regret in life is that I wasn't there.

So I started scanning the airwaves at home. Anyone who remembers the days of pirate radio, will know that location was key to what you could receive. I lived in South East London, it wasn't bad, but I wasn't picking up what my Uncle was listening to in North London. Anyhow I settled on a station called Dream FM (Hardcore), and that's where my journey began. I'd go to my football matches with fresh recorded tapes, and would be transported in to my own little world.

It's funny for me to think back, but before then I was actually a bit shy. But in that one act of embracing a music I knew nobody else would (essentially sticking 2 fingers up), I built my own wall. From there I became the character I am today.

Most of you know the rest of my music past - DnB and what not. What I will say for me is that I love making music. I remember at Uni when I got a copied version of Reason, and then bought Cubase. It took every ounce of will-power to concentrate on my studies. Following the completion of my studies I put all my focus in to trying to build my career (I also had a shit imac, which wouldn't work properly with Cubase). I continued to DJ, playing DnB on pirate radio in between work, and semi-pro football.

The move to Techno is a fond one, as it was a journey shared with my missus who was my DnB rave partner for many years. So it started around 2006 with a trip to Ibiza during the height of fake minimal, it progressed to tech house, and then happily I came across Porc, and found a harder sound which I wanted to explore further. Just like in my DnB days, I didn't really have any friends who were in to it. So it was basically me and the missus, out at least once a month from 2006 to 2010 when she got pregnant with our first child.

It's crazy to think now that Techno is now such a fundamental part of my life. Even now with our second kid, and me trying to juggle time with work n family shit, all I'm looking for is that little opening where I can squeeze in some music time.
Admittedly, I've been listening to a lot more DnB, mainly for inspiration, and also some acid house supplied by one of my best mates.

Time is my enemy at the moment, just not enough to transform into quality output. But there's no point in getting frustrated! The fact is I'm very lucky, I have a decent creative day job, 2 kids which I'm not even sure can be mine since they're child model standard. I have a very understanding missus who grumbles about the space my "hobby" takes up, but would never stop me from pursuing it. And to top it off, I have now quite a large number of like minded Techno heads (a few from here) who are actually my friends. DJ wise I've already fulfilled my goals, everything else is a bonus. I don't wish for much more but don't take it for granted either.

My only wish now is to get enough time, when the ideas are flowing, and I feel fresh enough to make some music. During the day when I go to work, I have some great ideas. After 12 hours out of the house, and then looking after kids when home, not much comes out worthwhile calling a track.

Yeah so that's basically it. I don't really have an opinion about the current state of Techno, I've read a few thing on here and FB. I think the answer is simple if you got a real issue, either do something about it, or move on. There's plenty of other good music out there.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

wow great story Steve, its was like a chapter in a book that i'd read.
I'm loooking forward to hearing your album.

I can really relate to the urge to create as you and Ashley discribe it.

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

Ok,

More details as I have enjoyed reading people's in depth posts and I only really dropped on this the other day on the phone and am now sat with the computer.

I have always been fairly creative more visually initially although I come from a very musical background, which was centred mainly around various forms of folk music. My dad plays a few instruments, my mum as well, and all their mates used to get together and play etc. There were always instruments around, guitars, pianos, banjos, percussion etc so had quite a lot of exposure do different sound generating tools and messed around with stuff, although never quite managed to actually learn an instrument, as was much more into drawing and painting and stuff.

Showed quite a bit of aptitude for art in school as well as music, but I wasn't able to take both, which was a shame as we had quite a decent teacher of both in our school. My art teacher introduced me to Kraftwerk, my music teacher 4 track recorder and synthesiser. So music went by the by although I continued with lessons in keyboards, mostly looking at jazz improvisations as that teacher was pretty into jazz funk fusion etc, which was really interesting.

At the same time in the early / mid nineties there was loads going on so music from various raves, clubs etc was filtering down, as well as tuning in religiously to pirate and other radio that was happening and learning about various artists, absorbing sounds etc. I discovered techno music mostly through John Berry's (Orbit, Leeds, Eastern Bloc) show on Kiss 102, which week in week out was pumping out the latest releases, guest mixes etc. I even remember Inigo Kennedy's break through happening through that radio station (Foster's Ice Breaker! haha)

Anyway as soon as I could get out to clubs I was, and fortunately this was mostly techno (orbit, voodoo etc), as well as some acid techno warehouse parties, megadog's etc. This mostly was whilst I was at art college and doing my degree in Fine Art, which I loved and still do, although I didn't quite carry on as much as I would like (more of that later).

Post degree was mostly going to more outdoor parties and stuff, through the times when the minimal sort of crap happened. I wasn't getting what I wanted in clubs, and at the time it had taken a bit of a downturn generally I thought 2000-2005 ish. Either that or being from a small place, had lost touch a bit with what was going on. Anyway a period of real world ensued before resuming further education as well and this period of time (visual art again) was making more animated work, doing as lot of research into interactive and multimedia which was leading more towards sonics.

After aceing that course unfortunately my creative juices were literally severed by a series of events which I won't go into here but left me stressed, poor and without work. This was the time where I started to play with music again (some hardware mucking about, then to ableton etc). It was very therapeutic and enjoyable, and as I said sort of threw me back into a happier sort of place again. I managed to "finish" a few bits and threw them up online in the earlier days of sound cloud, and was pretty staggered by the response, so carried on working, meeting with people, sharing music, remixing etc. Doing a bit of digital releasing and that's where I am at today, hopefully enjoying it, continuing to improve and getting the music out there as much as I can.

Part of me always thinks I'd like to play out a bit more, but in all honesty as much as I enjoy going to a good party still I do prefer dipping in and out and fully intend to take up some of my other creative interests again to give me more balance as well as a lot of other normal stuff. One of the main reasons for starting a label was to hopefully eventually to force me to make some videos / animations / artwork again to accompany it, though I am still learning how to balance it all out, so often that side is very quick fix stuff at the moment that whilst not terrible isn't quite where I want it to be.

Anyway nothing atypical about this just my own personal journey, which at the moment keeps leading to more and more interesting areas, people etc.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

tdmusic wrote:
Hades wrote:Superpitcher's Dntel remix of "This is the dream of Evan and Chan".
Excellent track. Superpitcher has done some great remixes - his one of M83 "Don't Save Us From The Flames" is one of my favourite tracks, and his remix of The MFA "The Difference It Makes" is also amazing

didn't know this remix. (still like Evan & Chan better though :) )
nonetheless, thx for that.
in fact, I kind of lost interest in Superpitcher after his Supermayer project (which I really hated, it was soooo obvious, that one, really cheap stuff in my opinion)
I always felt his remixes were far better than his own work.

will read the rest of the replies later, need some sleep first.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:Nah. I don't do upgrade work and the day I do end user desktop support is the day I get another career ;). I'm up because my kid is ill and demanded to watch Peppa Pig at 4am, I've had less than 2hrs sleep in the last 48hrs. It's totally reminded me why I don't go out partying much these days. Suffice to say, I'm working from home today!
haha, yeah, I can relate.
My mom was over for 2 days cause I had to work my last nightshift while my mrs was on guard at the hospital.
Just by accident she looked at our library shelves and discovered one of those cards you get at someone's funeral (sorry, don't know the name in English),
it was from the mother in law of one of my wife's friends, she opens it and discovers this used to be her best friend in college.
So I come back from my last nightshift to find her in tears instead of going out for a day of shopping.
So I said fuck sleep, made sure I magically got awake again, and went out shopping with her for a day.
I almost felt like I was 15 again, but at least it made my mom happy instead of sad.

I was hoping to finally crash at around 6AM for a 12 hour sleep, untill I realised it was exhibition at my oldests art school, so I had to stay awake for another 3 hours.
Fuck man, I finally got home at 9:30PM and just dragged myself to bed.

seanocean
Jan : )

Post by seanocean »

this thread... all the feels.

just reading all these now and i'm moved by the passion and experiences.
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

one of the small details I forgot about why I love techno as well.

Except for the sound, it's also a thing you can do entirely by yourself, and completely anonymous.
It's only the music that matters, not the show.

From my 15 till 20 or so, I was in a couple of bands, and though I had a synthesizer,
unless you're in a band that makes more electronical music, your role is ridiculously small.
I was a lead singer a few times, and though I loved the singing part, I hated the fact that you were supposed to put up an act, cause everyone's always looking at you.
I hated being on a stage, and I hated having to put on a show.
And when I wasn't a singer, the part the synth had to play was so ridiculously small I was bored as fuck.
Perhaps this is because when you're classically trained the parts you have to play in a band are just dead simple whereas when I had to go on stage for my piano exams those pieces were damn difficult and you had been rehearsing them for months.

Anyway, let's just say I hated the band experience.
All the typical cliche's : drummers that play too loud and are always still drumming while the rest is trying to discuss how to play a certain track.
Guitarists that just sucked for anything more complicated than 3 chords.
People with no gear and always trying to borrow yours.
I remember people being too stupid tro remember it's 2x a verse, then the chorus, then 2x verse again. (try adapting to that when you're the lead singer and half the band plays it wrong and half plays it right :lol: )
Agh, just crap really.

I suppose it's also part of being young, and you'd have less of that shit when you're older, but damn do I feel happy I can do this music thing all by myself.
I'm not saying I will never work with someone else again, on the contrary, if I would ever find someone I can work with and the chemistry is there, I believe the results will be far better than what I would do on my own. But yeah, I'd rather deal with my machines than with other folks problems. :)

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

Lost to the Void wrote:My album, hopefully done by the end of the year, is not techno.
So not like "a life of dissent"?

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Mslwte wrote:

But down to the bare bones of it all it's just a hobby that keeps me busy in my spare time. Otherwise I'd go mad. I'm not one for watching TV or reading books. I'm more practical.
On yer bike son!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Cloaked wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:My album, hopefully done by the end of the year, is not techno.

No that's my double vinyl EP, the music on that was done quite a while ago, it has been a very long and arduous process getting that EP pressing to become a reality. More hurdles to deal with than an Olympic hurdler. I still don't actually believe it until the test pressings are in my hands. Even then I expect they may spontaneously combust.
I can't fault the label though, freitag have shown me unbelievable success and I've never really had anyone fight for my corner so hard.
Who the fuck gives a double vinyl EP to some freak fringe techno/industrial producer like me these days?

No the album is a true album, a real concept from start to finish. A labour of love, will be limited edition CD with some very ponce you (and heavy) packaging.

Think drone metal meets punk meets industrial meets techno meets goth and then has a massive fight, lots of blood and carnage but then ends up crying in the corner and having an existential crisis.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Lost to the Void wrote:
Cloaked wrote:

No that's my double vinyl EP, the music on that was done quite a while ago, it has been a very long and arduous process getting that EP pressing to become a reality. More hurdles to deal with than an Olympic hurdler. I still don't actually believe it until the test pressings are in my hands. Even then I expect they may spontaneously combust.
I can't fault the label though, freitag have shown me unbelievable support and I've never really had anyone fight for my corner so hard.
Who the fuck gives a double vinyl EP to some freak fringe techno/industrial producer like me these days?

No the album is a true album, a real concept from start to finish. A labour of love, will be limited edition CD with some very ponce you (and heavy) packaging.

Think drone metal meets punk meets industrial meets techno meets goth and then has a massive fight, lots of blood and carnage but then ends up crying in the corner and having an existential crisis.
corrected, fuck you apple
New Shit

mattie
refusenik

Post by mattie »

drone metal meets punk meets industrial meets techno meets goth
Description sounds really good

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Cloaked wrote:

I can't fault the label though, freitag have shown me unbelievable success and I've never really had anyone fight for my corner so hard.

Sounds great, as does the EP. Didn't know how hush-hush it was actually, haven't seen you mention or push it on here (not really your style, I guess...) but I have heard it via the PR company - absolutely fucking ace. Easy to see why the label are backing it that fully, actually. Not to mention the Regis mix.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The EP isn`t really hush hush, the label are throwing a lot in to it, I just (probably causing frustration to the label) don`t big up my own releases. I`m generally embarassed by a lot of my work and find it frustrating.
There`s been so much resistance to it all happening, and some really soul crushing shit involved with it, I`m honestly a bit numb from it all.

I will say though, that Inigo has again, as always, impressed me with his artistry, professionalism, generally approachable and easy going, completely ego free nature.
One of the top boys in the biz for me, and he deserves every bit of respect and adulation he gets these days.
New Shit

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

I want to pre order!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mslwte wrote:I want to pre order!
What the Vinyl EP or the Album?
New Shit