General Chat // Music Discussion
Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: Techno Gossip

Post by Mono-xID »

Críoch wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:00 pm
Saw that.

The world has gone mad. She didn't deserve it. People spontaneously combust for verrry little these days. Far bigger problems in the world right now.

Culture Nazis Fuck Off.
Innit? It's a fuckin' haircut for fucks sake. I'm slowly disgusted by these hypersensitive SJW bullshit.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Cultural appropriation is a bit of a mystery for me. Being a white man I just don't know who gets offended. Can you only have specific types of hair if you are from that heritage? Is that not just creating further seclusion between people saying you can/can't have that because you are this/that?

Can't we just acknowledge we're different and that's not a bad thing but a good thing to talk about so everyone gets better perspectives on race/class/heritage.

I mean do cornrows have negative connotations or am i missing the point?

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

As the resident black person (person of colour, person of African heritage, Afro Caribbean, African Caribbean, what-ever else name someone else decides to call me to be politically correct) and therefore the voice of every single black person...ever....

Who the fuck cares that a white girl puts her hair in a different hair style?

I cooked thai fried rice the other day. I apologise for appropriation of thai culture. It was not my intent to cause such profound upset to the thai community and peoples. I have resigned from my job.

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

jordanneke wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:24 pm
I cooked thai fried rice the other day. I apologise for appropriation of thai culture. It was not my intent to cause such profound upset to the thai community and peoples. I have resigned from my job.
My thoughts exactly. Where is this line drawn? Should I no longer cook curries?!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Well......
If culture were to remain ringfenced then humanity would never progress.
It is only through the mixing of culture that you get more cultural acceptance.
You can`t have it both ways, you can`t say "I want my culture more represented" but then shit the bed when people go "hey, that culture is cool, let`s all start surfing waves on boards now".... (yes abstract reference to the British discovering Surfing from the Taihitians in the late 1700`s)
Everything is cultural appropriation, that's how culture works.
Culture is just ideas basically, and ideas should spread freely.

Ok everyone in the UK, only brown people can eat curry from now on.... I`m sure the indian and pakistani community don`t want your business......

Having said that ,Kravshitz handled this whole affair terribly and almost obnoxiously.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

All this social justice bullshit actually harms the fact that there is proper discrimination out there. Real fucking racism.

Racists can now say fucking what they want, and it gets lost in the noise of these dicks complaining about a Gucci boomerang, Nina Kraviz plaiting her hair, fuck's sake.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

I can't help feel a lot of critics were taking a pop at Nina simply to get in her mentions and promote their own Twatter IDs.

Which may have gone some way to explaining her poor handling of the situation.

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:39 pm
Having said that ,Kravshitz handled this whole affair terribly and almost obnoxiously.
Haha yep! She sucked at managing any of that, she just stacked stupid points on top of idiotic comments.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

[wesellboxes] wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:55 pm
I can't help feel a lot of critics were taking a pop at Nina simply to get in her mentions and promote their own Twatter IDs.

She handled it much better than most would. Better than RA which seems to have closed two threads on FB. Sheesh.

These woke Americans argument exactly as the new identitarian right.
Last edited by chava on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Godamn, what this world has come to where I have to defend fuckin' Nina Kraviz? I would laugh out loud if it wouldn't be so sad.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

chava wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:41 pm
[wesellboxes] wrote:

She handled it much better than most would. Better than RA which seems to have closed two threads on FB. Sheesh.

What were most people saying on FB.. agree or disagree?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

I was walking down the street awhile back with my GF and her brother who are Irish. There were some Asian girls out the front of an Irish pub smoking fags and drinking Guinness. He stopped us, pointed and said "they're appropriating our fucking culture!" We all died laughing.

What a load of nonsense though. The bit that really gets me is the knots you've got to be twisting yourself in in order to be calling yourself woke or whatever while apparently defending, or something, a genre of music that has degradation of women as a central theme. 'Beat that bitch with a bat' anyone? A nice cultural slice of 'Ass n titties'? Lol, what madness.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

illit_ wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:21 pm
Cultural appropriation is a bit of a mystery for me. Being a white man I just don't know who gets offended.
Social Justice Warriors.
illit_ wrote:
Can you only have specific types of hair if you are from that heritage? Is that not just creating further seclusion between people saying you can/can't have that because you are this/that?
Yes, yes it is.
illit_ wrote:
Can't we just acknowledge we're different and that's not a bad thing but a good thing to talk about so everyone gets better perspectives on race/class/heritage.
You would think. However the ruling 'elites' have long bred divisiveness and separation as a means of control. Divide and conquer, the oldest trick in the book.
illit_ wrote:
I mean do cornrows have negative connotations or am i missing the point?
From wikipedia:
Over the years, cornrows, along with dreadlocks, have been the subject of several disputes in American workplaces, as well as universities. Some employers and educational institutions have considered them unsuitable, and banned them – sometimes even terminating employees who have worn them. Employees and civil rights groups have countered that such attitudes evidence cultural bias, and some disputes have resulted in litigation.
Just another thing for racists to latch on to I guess. But it's also worth noting that apparently the traditional hairstyle of Roman Vestal Virgins incorporated cornrows. So hundreds of years ago white females were wearing them.

It is ridiculous though. Can you imagine if these attitudes were carried over into music - or if they'd existed all along - people like Dr Dre and Jay Z wouldn't have their rich empires, and The Rolling Stones would be a pub circuit folk band.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Críoch wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:06 pm
chava wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:41 pm
[wesellboxes] wrote:

What were most people saying on FB.. agree or disagree?
Perhaps 1% buy into the whole cultural appropriation thing, which the RA threads reflected. What exactly caused the elimnination of threads I don't know.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

That's a relief to hear about the 1%.

Agree with all the points made in here. I totally understand where the problem originated from, re: police control, but there's no sympathy being given to NK for accidentally stepping on a landmine. Surely it's an opportunity to bring people together, rather than attack. It's hardly as if NK is part of a world conspiracy against whoever.

If people put all their energies into fighting gun crime, unemployment, drugs, encourage voting participation & shit like that water crisis in Flint, Michigan.. the Whole country would benefit.

Many do what they can.. It's a long & hard road.

It's not NK's fault their system is somewhat broken & one culture is effectively not part of the ruling elite. I don't know how you fix things.. but busting a blood vessel over a hairstyle probably isn't going to bring about the seismic change that is required. Surely cultures should be sharing & hospitable to one another.

My missus went to a wedding in Hong Kong once & got a dress made in the local style for the ceremony. Friends have come back from India with a sari. Those people have it fucking tough too. When we Irish had a dirty paramilitary war going on.. we didn't stop tourists coming over & wearing an aran jumper or drinking Guinness.

We could go on for days. I understand that the African American population are very angry.. but their PR could less insular on this topic. I think it would travel further in the press. Use the press. Leaders should lead. There's so much shit that they go through & have experienced that we don't know nothing about. There has to be a better way where there are no more victims.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

What has a siberian girls haircut to do with with racism in USA though? That's US SJW imperialism.

And honestly, if I would be a racist, the last thing I want is to look like the people I hate.

I just don't get it, it's beyond stupid.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Agree

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

best trolling I ever red :lol:

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I don't want to dismiss the problematic sides of cultural appropriation, but people need to realize that there is a difference between appropriation and then participation. The first one is the problematic one, when someone (and yeah the old white males are typically guilty of this) comes in and take up a distinct expression, style or tradition of a community, and all they get in return is to see someone making money of a bastardized version of something that is a huge signifier of their culture - I think it gets worse, when that is also bound up on some sort of important ritual (I remember Madonna did that on a track, which I cannot remember right now). But objecting participation, will only hold us back. It is important to exchange our different ways, and be challenged.

So I don't think Kraviz is really guilty of cultural appropriation (or at least the problematic side of it) in this case - she did handle it extremely poorly, though.

1) first of all the "black community" holds a huge part of the responsibility here. When they capitalized on their identity in the 90s and 2000s with being part of video game franchises, music videos etc. they took part of their culture and threw it up in the most mainstream stream of all streams. A consequence of this is that people are going to participate and commodify anything that has been thrown upon the market.

2) I think the view that braids are equal the entire pan-african identity, is a very fragile way to perceive identity. I did not see NK in any way try to sell herself as "someone from the hood" or "tryin' to represent the savannah" or whatever... I think it is stupid to become so micropolitical that you blow up very small things that - granted - would be part of problematic cultural appropriation, when it occurs, and say that it is equal to structural exploitation of minorities. It stirs the focus, and tend to make people think none of what you are saying matters.

Still, NK handled it in a dumb way.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Amøbe wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:55 pm
people need to realize that there is a difference between appropriation and then participation.
If only some people would realise this.... :roll:
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen: