The most dark industrial techno, ever.

General Chat // Music Discussion
jim_kezzle
Onions
Re: The most dark industrial techno, ever.

Post by jim_kezzle »

I like industrial techno and appreciate the crossovers in more natural techno sets
Ancient methods plays some really good stuff, I found an artist from some of his sets called Geistform that I find interesting
good secret thirteen mix here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHewR3Fowr8
however it can become quite bland in its own entirety, I love the way AM brings the sounds to light by combining them with different genres like he does in his boiler room sets which are both amazing.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

jim_kezzle wrote:I like industrial techno and appreciate the crossovers in more natural techno sets
Ancient methods plays some really good stuff, I found an artist from some of his sets called Geistform that I find interesting
however it can become quite bland in its own entirety, I love the way AM brings the sounds to light by combining them with different genres like he does in his boiler room sets which are both amazing.
totally agree with that, ancient methods is a better dj then a producer imo. His sets are not purely industrial or drone or whatever you call it, but he does the combination with coldwave/vocally stuff and ambient really nice.
There are alot of good artists mentioned already, id like to add some:
Ontal (also check out the minimum syndicate remix of that track, more acid, but amazing.)
youtu.be/oMI-CmWGVmo

in france there seems to be a strong scene going more towards acid and rave, but also very indurstrial:
youtu.be/etenQj-HasA
youtu.be/hMtnOeitoF8
youtu.be/yAE3EfO1920 (WHAT A BANGER really)

iam coming from psytrance/darkpsy so i really like all the driving fullpower techno tracks
like this phase fatale
youtu.be/suerC7wT1Uk
or this
youtu.be/lyYcPjwhLl4

and ofcourse theres ansome, kinda the inventor of the modern acid/industrial/dark techno fusion together with Porc, but i dont like Porc so much. he uses alot of offbeat basslines, but that can be really nice to break up a set.
youtu.be/Dgq5JtJBxgo
oops got carried away a little here :D

Vox Veteran
Onions

Post by Vox Veteran »

Indeed but Scalameriya deserves a mention too, I hope?

youtu.be/UcCLD8OW7VE

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

ah yeah scalameriya! forgot about him
he has some great tracks together with VSK, who is also nice
marla singer has some tracks that go in that direction too, but he often uses bleep leads

nachtstrom schallplatten is a nice label for the modern dark/hard/industrial sound:
https://nachtstromschallplatten.bandcamp.com/
this ep beeing particullary heavy:
https://nachtstromschallplatten.bandcam ... physics-ep

aand headless horseman is also worth checking out

Vox Veteran
Onions

Post by Vox Veteran »

over9000 wrote:ah yeah scalameriya! forgot about him
he has some great tracks together with VSK, who is also nice
marla singer has some tracks that go in that direction too, but he often uses bleep leads

nachtstrom schallplatten is a nice label for the modern dark/hard/industrial sound:
https://nachtstromschallplatten.bandcamp.com/
this ep beeing particullary heavy:
https://nachtstromschallplatten.bandcam ... physics-ep

aand headless horseman is also worth checking out
Yes, yes, yes to all the above

Let's also not forget Adam X and all things Sonic Groove

He's been keeping it real from day one to the present day

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

I kinda know Marla guy in person, he makes exact same songs since, I don't know, forever. I feel like he has a main template on his Ableton, he just changes samples then export it. Zero variety.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Ancient methods, when it was ancient methods, was awesome.
Once Baeks left, it became watered down.
Baeks wanted to develop the sound Trias wanted to milk the same sound.
So they split.
That's why you hear a quite noticeable change in the sound from 2014 on.
Baeks really drove the progressive side of AM.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

over9000 wrote:
and ofcourse theres ansome, kinda the inventor of the modern acid/industrial/dark techno fusion together with Porc, but i dont like Porc so much. he uses alot of offbeat basslines, but that can be really nice to break up a set.
You`d be forgiven for thinking that if you were young and don`t know your history of techno or electronic music, especially if you read articles from places like resident badadvisor, as they are written by 5 year olds with ADD and no idea aboput anything.

But Acid, industrial and dark stuff has been around for oooh over 20 years. I was dancing to ansome like stuff in industrial clubs in london when I was a teen.
It`s just yet another round of retro regurgitation.

from 1995

youtu.be/YkFomP-1Uo8
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Ontal are great. Never really considered them Industrial, but love their stuff. Been mastering all their releases for a while now.
New Shit

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

Since mayeul has been mentionned, I guess we could add AIROD , dentis, manni dee, makaton, sluhg, paul damage, but then again, I would say those fit more in the acid/rave category with obvious industrial influences

Vox Veteran
Onions

Post by Vox Veteran »

Amon Derrich wrote:Since mayeul has been mentionned, I guess we could add AIROD , dentis, manni dee, makaton, sluhg, paul damage, but then again, I would say those fit more in the acid/rave category with obvious industrial influences
Ah, Paul Damage. Now you're talking.

youtu.be/5DL0Auc2SjA

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

youtu.be/4YJYAQ1MBkY

Makaton wrote the book on it. Dude is a legend.

youtu.be/N1zw-4VYPag
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

And Paul Damage will forever remain a hero for (IMO) creating the nastiest most fucked birmingham techno track of them all..

youtu.be/ydMGi8o6LMA
New Shit

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

yeah that might be true what you say voidloss.
its all repeating over and over, never the less id say, that ansome and Porc and later scalameriya pushed that kind of sound in the last 5 years and made it popular again. And more phat/modern sounding.
I agree that all kind of techno and other electronic music styles have been around since the beginning as archetypes so to say. But i guess the specific genres developed over time in the beginning everything was techno, even trance. And i think thats not a bad thing, as long as people dont stick with these "genre rules" and loose their creativity, just trying to make an acid track or a industrial track or whatever.
About Marla Singer, true he has not much variation in his tracks, but i like some of them very much anyway.
youtu.be/Id9jNTzyqis

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Not a fan of most "industrial techno". I've just never got into that whole lets take some metallic screching sounds over some awkward hard break-y kick pattern thing. THAT said there's a few "industrial techno" guys I love.

youtu.be/hWQPE4WoapA
Mick Harris' Monrella stuff is all great, hard as nails yet soooo funky and bouncy, where as most industrial type stuff is intentionally or unintentionally stiff. Great sequences too.

youtu.be/z-uRLVmZIxQ
And then Obscurum of course. I have no idea what the hell these guys were smoking. Their earlier stuff just fucking rolls over you like a bulldozer. A lot of it is super straight but really hard to play because of the idiosyncratic production, they just didn't give a fuck. And some of their later stuff has insane swing values, barely at the edge of disintegrating. In my opinion, they took hard industrial techno to it's logical conclusion. And then they just dissapeared. Legends.

Doombrain
tense

Post by Doombrain »

over9000 wrote:
jim_kezzle wrote:I like industrial techno and appreciate the crossovers in more natural techno sets
totally agree with that, ancient methods is a better dj then a producer imo. His sets are not purely industrial or drone or whatever you call it, but he does the combination with coldwave/vocally stuff and ambient really nice.
There are alot of good artists mentioned already, id like to add some:
Ontal (also check out the minimum syndicate remix of that track, more acid, but amazing.)

Some good suggestions on here but for me these first three seem to be the darkest posted overall.

I got to admit I am not familiar to many of the name drops on this topic, not to say I am ignorant to other electronic music though. My electronic experience was influenced first by a lot of Tangerine Dream soundtracks and synthwave in general, which is also coming back in a modern way (new retro wave) but that's another topic. Also, early 90's rave/dance music such as Prodigy, Genocide II and Chem Bros was all I listened to. I think electronic music and techno has evolved a lot over the years but may have created too many sub genres for me. A lot of the industrial music mentioned falls under experimental electronic which Aphex Twin pretty much pushed into the mainstream and then returned back.

With respect to the gesture that a lot of this type of techno is coming back, I think this really depends where you are geographically, socially and what media you are listening or following. What I mean by geographically is that you may find that where you live is dominated by either mainstream commercial music or other genres of music such as Rock/Indie. So, if you are living within a small village or a town you may miss out completely on certain types of music or even by isolated due to your unconnected link with other like minded foes. But hey, thank god for the internet.

I have a few techno records I haven't played for over 10 years, can't remember much a lot of power tools but I was wrecked out of my head at the time.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote: I've just never got into that whole lets take some metallic screching sounds over some awkward hard break-y kick pattern thing..
Literally not representative of more than 25% of industrial techno at best.
New Shit

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

Don't have anything to add to the topic. I basically just come here to listen to Steve

Not bothered if it's a bit OTT (certainly not techno) to say it, but you are an oracle of techno. have learnt more from your posts on this forum about techno than from everywhere else combined. don't ever change and don't leave this forum, please.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:Not a fan of most "industrial techno". I've just never got into that whole lets take some metallic screching sounds over some awkward hard break-y kick pattern thing. THAT said there's a few "industrial techno" guys I love.

youtu.be/hWQPE4WoapA
Mick Harris' Monrella stuff is all great, hard as nails yet soooo funky and bouncy, where as most industrial type stuff is intentionally or unintentionally stiff. Great sequences too.

youtu.be/z-uRLVmZIxQ
And then Obscurum of course. I have no idea what the hell these guys were smoking. Their earlier stuff just fucking rolls over you like a bulldozer. A lot of it is super straight but really hard to play because of the idiosyncratic production, they just didn't give a fuck. And some of their later stuff has insane swing values, barely at the edge of disintegrating. In my opinion, they took hard industrial techno to it's logical conclusion. And then they just dissapeared. Legends.

I have heard that there will be more Obscurum coming out.
No idea if that means old unreleased stuff has been found or if they are actually going to be making new shit.
But it's kinda exciting news.
My collection of Obscurum records are the prize of my collection.
New Shit

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »