Where's all the right wingers?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Pelecaras
Lifer
Re: Where's all the right wingers?

Post by Pelecaras »

jordanneke wrote:They were terrified that young people were meeting en masse, having a good time, and not spending a penny on the one drug that they want us to dull our lives with.
Also true, it was that young people were meeting en masses and rejecting all the bullshit that had gone before. Politics, consumerism, culture etc.

"They used to control us by force, then they controlled us with TV, now we've lined up for smartphones and invited the wolf to dinner"
FUCK-WIT

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Facebook is also a problem insofar as it filters what news you are exposed to. This happens in two ways. First, your friends and what they share. Second, Facebook's algorithm decides what your politics are and then tailors what news you see accordingly. (Click on the link I embedded in the previous sentence if you don't believe me.)

Facebook does this because it wants to get clicks for the people who pay Facebook for advertising. But the effect is deeply corrosive, IMO. We no longer have shared spaces, and since people increasingly get their news from social media, we are increasingly exposed only to the most blatantly partisan and opportunistic sources. And fake news, because Facebook's algorithm isn't smart enough to know the difference.

Of course all of us here are mature and worldly enough to figure this shit out, and deal with it. But a lot of people aren't.

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

Lost to the Void wrote:Racist, sexiest, volatile, conservative... He was also a true psychopath and a very damaged individual.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

disparate wrote:Also the media plays a big role, the likes of Fox News, and the Daily Mail and Sun over here, deserve a hell of a lot of the blame. They distract the blame for people's economic hardship from those high up who're deserving of it and pin it instead on the immigrants, foreigners, EU, the unemployed etc then we wonder why far right populism starts to rise again...
Nothing new here. Its a tried and tested technique, Mussolini did the same as did the nazis. And it works is the problem, always easier to blame the 'other'.

jordanneke wrote:They were terrified that young people were meeting en masse, having a good time, and not spending a penny on the one drug that they want us to dull our lives with.
Indeed it scared them shitless. As did all the protest movements of the 70's. Late 70's is when the neoliberal model was put into action as an answer to all that imo.

Re women in music its changing rapidly, its not just dj's, I've meet lots of really good new female engineers the last few years, there is hope. Cause lets face it it was a sausage fest till now in studio land.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Part of my family seem a bit right wingy but weirdly tolerant at the same time. They were really thrilled with the Brexit result and were rejoicing in all our laws being made in our own country now. I didn't try and explain it was less than 12% of law that came from the EU but it was LITERALLY COMPLETELY ignored.
I used to get into massive debates/ arguments about immigration when they mindlessly shared incorrect propaganda with images for 4+ years ago. The way they interacted with me was to.....delete the post and not engage in a debate. I don't even get into it with them anymore as it is pointless and just wound me up.

I think where *most* electronic music is concerned with it very liberal, mainly down to the origins or it and how the experiences you have can fundamentally change you as we person.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

xonetacular wrote:
And yeah I think safe space policies are pretty fucking dumb.
Literally WHY?!

Do you think women get afforded "wimminz only" areas as we have done something super special and shiny for us to have one?? Nope, it is down to systematic sexual harassment in gyms, of all places.
That is in some way a safe space but you have to consider the Safe Spaces that are frequented by non-cis, non-white or LGBT+ people. They need somewhere they can go to to be in an environment where they are able to discuss things they might have happened to them with people that they would not feel comfortable discussing in more public areas *head desk*

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

xonetacular wrote:
Ok I might fall under some of this. Re: female DJs- I really do believe there are fewer female DJs simply because fewer women have an interest in pursuing it. How many women are on this and any other related forums? If there are significant numbers of women with an interest in this where are they? And while there are a number of very talented female DJs and producers honestly it seems like there is another portion of female DJs that gain popularity mostly because they play up the female DJ novelty and they've found a niche where it's easier to get noticed.
Are you walking around with your eyes closed?? There is a FUCK TONNE or amazing female DJs are producers out there. You are completely undermining those who have made their way through relentless hard work, failure, trying again - rise, cycle and repeat. There is PLENTY of women I know who want to peruse it, who have at some point in time not been able to as they have been made to feel they are not able to due to their gender. This is the very reason there are specific female-centric or only music groups that exist.
Why have you only negatively mentioned females who get by on "novelty" where there is plenty more males who have stupid gimmicks to get them noticed?

I hope to fuck you were trolling with your comment.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

HowieRis wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Racist, sexiest, volatile, conservative... He was also a true psychopath and a very damaged individual.

Haha, an example of predictive text doing the right thing.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

StacieAnne wrote: Are you walking around with your eyes closed?? There is a FUCK TONNE or amazing female DJs are producers out there. You are completely undermining those who have made their way through relentless hard work, failure, trying again - rise, cycle and repeat. There is PLENTY of women I know who want to peruse it, who have at some point in time not been able to as they have been made to feel they are not able to due to their gender. This is the very reason there are specific female-centric or only music groups that exist.
Why have you only negatively mentioned females who get by on "novelty" where there is plenty more males who have stupid gimmicks to get them noticed?

I hope to fuck you were trolling with your comment.

I have immense respect for many of the talented female DJs and producers out there. If there's a fuck tonne of amazing female DJs and producers out there like you say then what's the problem?

I don't know the numbers are but male djs/producers have to outnumber females by what 10 to 1? 20 to 1? More?

And while I'm sure women may encounter sexism in industry I really don't think you can say the main reason for that difference is because of systemic sexism and that it would be even otherwise.

Being a producer and getting noticed as an artist is incredibly hard for everyone. Will females in the industry face some unique situations that men won't? Maybe, but there's 1000 other challenges to overcome to become successful too.

I didn't mention the males with gimmicks because we are talking about female DJs here and that's a totally different discussion...

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

StacieAnne wrote:
xonetacular wrote:
Literally WHY?!

Do you think women get afforded "wimminz only" areas as we have done something super special and shiny for us to have one?? Nope, it is down to systematic sexual harassment in gyms, of all places.
That is in some way a safe space but you have to consider the Safe Spaces that are frequented by non-cis, non-white or LGBT+ people. They need somewhere they can go to to be in an environment where they are able to discuss things they might have happened to them with people that they would not feel comfortable discussing in more public areas *head desk*
Yeah lets separate people by sexual orientation, gender, political view and skin color so nobody ever has to get out of their comfort zone or start a dialog with somebody who has different views. Safe Spaces FTW!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The parties tend to be cockfests to a certain extent too. So the figures probably tally.

Things are more balanced in house music with audiences, although still not that balanced with artists.

Only place I really experienced a much more balanced spread was back when I was doing the illegals squat raves in the 90`s london.
There were a lot more women on the decks, everyone had to prove themselves on a Rig and were measured by the same standard, if you could hold it down and keep attention, you got asked back, male, female, gay, straight, whatever.. Every rig had girls playing on them. It was less of an issue, being a very countercultural movement, and having militant lesbians, and hippies and permaculture crusties and anarcho syndicalist punk grrrl activists, reclaim the streets, squatters association and all the rest.... It was.... Ahhh the good old days, things were better.... blah blah. We didn`t need safe spaces then either.
In that instance it was true, it really was a fun scene to be around, it was more political and a lot less "selfie" and just really interesting. Cameras just weren`t the thing to bring to those events, instantly you would get pegged as old bill.....
By todays standards the techno scene is much less political and much less interesting as a movement in those sociological terms.
Over the years I have become a lot more openly political, and luckily it brings in the freaks to my gigs. The last gig in spain had a contingent of Basque anarchists turn up, it made for really interesting conversation.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

PixelKind wrote:
StacieAnne wrote:
xonetacular wrote:
Literally WHY?!

Yeah lets separate people by sexual orientation, gender, political view and skin color so nobody ever has to get out of their comfort zone or start a dialog with somebody who has different views. Safe Spaces FTW!
:lol: Spoken like someone who has never had to face any kind of negative "ism"

I hope you realise how lucky you are.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

I lived in Asia for nearly 10 years and had to face quite a lot of adversity for being "white". Has nothing to do with luck

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Adversity and systematic oppression are not really the same thing though. I am sure it wasn't pleasant to you but ultimately I don't think it will have had negative repercussions in the same way that 100's of years oppression have had to the people and groups that utilise Safe Spaces.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

The problem with trying to start a discussion with right wing supporters, is that they know their opinions are mostly based on fear and hate of the unknown, so they usually just bow out of the discussion and mutter something about you not understanding their point.

Like most things in life, right wing voters are basically motivated by selfish reasons, like their income tax situation or what have you. Though it looks like we're about to catch the wave again towards the other side, with now even some conservative politicians admitting we have a problem with resource depletion.

And I really don't give a fuck about whether global warming is real or not, the changes set in motion to prevent it are good for other things too, like air and water quality. And now we wait for China and India to join the game :?

jordanneke wrote:Maybe it's MDMA that stops people being right wing?
This is also a real possibility :lol:
how far do you want to go

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

I know a rightwing techno head. Known him for about 10 years, until facebook I wasn't really aware of his RW views. For a period he was pretty vocal about his views on immigration, the working and lower classes. He is a proud Tory - Daily Mail reader.

His Dad was self made during the Thatcher years, and he actually works for him. Some of his views are pretty blinkered IMO, and it's quite concerning his girlfriend has now adopted his way of thinking.

With all the things I've seen him post on FB, and say in conversation, I can't say I hold him in high regard.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

ashley BORG wrote: For a period he was pretty vocal about his views on immigration, the working and lower classes. He is a proud Tory - Daily Mail reader.
Good job he chose through and through 'arrived in the ice-age' anglo saxon such as yourself to air his views to!

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

I feel like these "Social Media Bubbles" are causing a kind of force fed confirmation bias, isolating people from different views making them ever surer that they're correct, with no space for calm discussion with people who think differently.

Communities that are interested in making music or art attract more people with Leftwing leanings without a doubt. When I was playing in bands in the South Wales/UK Hardcore scene we would work together and pool our resources, make use of our skills, organise our shows, release our own vinyl records, screen print our own merch, run a web forum, and we'd run all-day benefit events a couple of times a year in aid of the latest major crisis overseas. Doing these things teaches/requires certain values.

Even this forum; people sharing knowledge and experience for the overall good of the music. It's similar and not really compatible with modern conservatism where the focus for the individual is generally working towards goals for him/herself rather than a wider community or movement.

So you might get some lurker Tories here snaffling up the tips and tricks, but they probably won't contribute :lol:

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Bravo HowieRis.

I think it is pretty difficult to put a case to someone who doesn't share the same views as you and stand any hope of them actually changing their minds. People will always find something to support their own narrative. I guess it is all a bit pointless really.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

StacieAnne wrote:
xonetacular wrote:
Literally WHY?!

I have nothing against safe spaces , although when I was young and went raving the whole place was a safe space so within the context of electronic music I am not sure who , what and where is unsafe ...... PLUR !!!!!

i am in australia , so these stats are australian , but I would imagine mirror most western developed economies

Fifty-eight percent of recorded assault victims were male.
Males had higher victimisation rates than females in all age groups.
As in previous years, males aged 15 to 24 experienced assault at the highest rates.

so going by statistics the group that most needs a safe space is males ages 15 to 24 .

can we get a safe space for them too?