New members say hello...

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: New members say hello...

Post by Hades »

V88 wrote:Hey guys I'm based in Amsterdam. I love all sorts of music but have a passion for dark, mysterious techno with heavy base lines and hints of acid some of my fav artists are boston 168, under black helmet, woo york, yan cook, Porc. I have recently finished my Bachelor in chemistry and have decided to take a gap year. I have loved techno since I was 16 and im now 22.
I will be leaving to backpack in asia for 2 months soon and was thinking of experimenting with producing some techno while there.

My budget is low. I currently own a sony vaio laptop with an i5 processor and a reasonable amount of ram (4/8 gb?), a pair of bose sound true headphones and thats it.
what DAW would you guys recommend me to start using? i don't mind spending around 100 euros on this if neccesary. Will software alone be enough to get started or are there any portable hardware options (100-200 euro price range) which you would strongly recommend.
as i say i am a complete novice. I played piano for a couple years when i was 6/7 and was able to read notes so im sure these skills will be able to be picked up once again. I also taught myself to play the guitar for a year in my teens.
any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
welcome to subsekt.

love Woo York and Yan Cook.

first thing to change is your Bose headphones.
Bose is like the Mercedes of the headphones : it's really not bad, and it's semi-affordable (though still pricey enough for people to think they own real quality).
I've got a Bose 3-2-1 system in my tv corner (well, more dvd corner since I haven't had cable tv in 20 years), and for that, it's ok,
and it's more than enough for normal folks, I'm sure, but no way it will work for decent music production.
Especially because Bose really hypes your low end.
I owned a pair of headphones of them a few years ago, probably paid like 200€ for it,
and I literally gave them away to a friend of mine after about 2 months because they were far too much boosting the low end.
You can't rely on Bose for music production.
Not at all.

100€ for a DAW is really not much at all.
I would recommend Ableton Live,
because I've started out by using a horribly hard to use HW sequencer first (20 years ago, it was the only option I had back then),
then switched to cubase, which was already way better,
but it was most definitely switching to Live that made it all WAY easier.
Plus a LOT of electronic music producers use Live, just because it's extremely easy to use if you want to make electronic music.
Look up some introduction video's on youtube or on the Ableton site if you want to learn more.

If you want, I can sell you an extra license of Ableton Live Suite 8.
I used to have 3 licenses a few years ago when I was still teaching music production and sound design,
but I only need 1 nowadays, so I already sold 1 of the 2 extra ones I no longer need to another subsekt member here.
Then you still need to pay for an upgrade to Live Suite 9 some day (if you want), but the price is cheaper than if you would buy Live Suite 9 immediately,
and you can perfectly make music with Live 8,
and tbh, I'd rather have the suite version of Live 8 than the normal version of Live 9.

hope that helps.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

V88
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by V88 »

Hades wrote:
V88 wrote:Hey guys I'm based in Amsterdam. I love all sorts of music but have a passion for dark, mysterious techno with heavy base lines and hints of acid some of my fav artists are boston 168, under black helmet, woo york, yan cook, Porc. I have recently finished my Bachelor in chemistry and have decided to take a gap year. I have loved techno since I was 16 and im now 22.
I will be leaving to backpack in asia for 2 months soon and was thinking of experimenting with producing some techno while there.

My budget is low. I currently own a sony vaio laptop with an i5 processor and a reasonable amount of ram (4/8 gb?), a pair of bose sound true headphones and thats it.
what DAW would you guys recommend me to start using? i don't mind spending around 100 euros on this if neccesary. Will software alone be enough to get started or are there any portable hardware options (100-200 euro price range) which you would strongly recommend.
as i say i am a complete novice. I played piano for a couple years when i was 6/7 and was able to read notes so im sure these skills will be able to be picked up once again. I also taught myself to play the guitar for a year in my teens.

Cheers!
welcome to subsekt.

Bose is like the Mercedes of the headphones : it's really not bad, and it's semi-affordable (though still pricey enough for people to think they own real quality).
I've got a Bose 3-2-1 system in my tv corner (well, more dvd corner since I haven't had cable tv in 20 years), and for that, it's ok,
and it's more than enough for normal folks, I'm sure, but no way it will work for decent music production.
I owned a pair of headphones of them a few years ago, probably paid like 200€ for it,
and I literally gave them away to a friend of mine after about 2 months because they were far too much boosting the low end.
Not at all.

because I've started out by using a horribly hard to use HW sequencer first (20 years ago, it was the only option I had back then),
Plus a LOT of electronic music producers use Live, just because it's extremely easy to use if you want to make electronic music.
Look up some introduction video's on youtube or on the Ableton site if you want to learn more.

I used to have 3 licenses a few years ago when I was still teaching music production and sound design,
but I only need 1 nowadays, so I already sold 1 of the 2 extra ones I no longer need to another subsekt member here.
Then you still need to pay for an upgrade to Live Suite 9 some day (if you want), but the price is cheaper than if you would buy Live Suite 9 immediately,
and tbh, I'd rather have the suite version of Live 8 than the normal version of Live 9.

hope that helps.
Thanks for the help guys!

Do you have specific headphones which youd recommend to start with, keeping in mind i have a limited budget?

I am also definitely interested in ur ableton pack. lets discuss prices via pm then.

good night!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

in the price range of maybe 150€ I'm not totally sure, since I only have more expensive headphones than that,
apart from my Sennheiser HD25's, which are good for DJ'ing but not for production.

But I've heard good things about the Sellout Dynamic ones, like the DT770 or DT880,
and they are around 130 to 175€ or something.
I honestly wouldn't go any cheaper than that, if you ask me.

you also won't be able to PM me until you have passed the 10 posts minimum limit,
so you might have to wait a little bit for that.
(but you can ask me in Dutch, I'm Flemish)

V88
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by V88 »

Top ik zal even kijken naar die koptelefoons!

Haha ja dat had ik al gemerkt idd. Dan gaan we lekker nederlands lullen. Aan wat voor prijs zat je te denken voor je software?

Orin
Exampleless

Post by Orin »

I probably should have posted here first, but I am just seeing this thread now ^_^

Hello subsekt, I'm Orin. Electronic lover since the time I first heard Homework when I was about 8. I grew up playing all sorts of music, live death metal, live hip hop, and starting djing in college (upstate NY). I worked my way up from house parties to an open format residency for about 2 years and played just about every bar and club in that small city. At the same time, I started producing dnb.

I always wanted to satisfy my taste for tech house, so when I recently moved to RS - Brazil (where the techno/tech scene is very alive) I saw it as the perfect time to shift production style- and production forums, hehe.

Orin
Exampleless

Post by Orin »

V88 wrote:
Hades wrote:

Cheers!
welcome to subsekt.

Not at all.

hope that helps.
Thanks for the help guys!

Do you have specific headphones which youd recommend to start with, keeping in mind i have a limited budget?

I am also definitely interested in ur ableton pack. lets discuss prices via pm then.

good night!
I use the staple Audio Technica ATH-M50s. Check out some reviews- they're amazing for the budget (about 150USD i think). Great for production, monitoring, comfort, all around.

senmin
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by senmin »

Hi all, joined this forum to learn the dark arts of techno production.

I look forward to participating and meeting you all!

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

senmin wrote:Hi all, joined this forum to learn the dark arts of techno production.

Welcome! Do you have any prior experience producing in any other genres? Or is techno your first ever attempt at producing?

senmin
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by senmin »

SFBM wrote:
senmin wrote:Hi all, joined this forum to learn the dark arts of techno production.

Welcome! Do you have any prior experience producing in any other genres? Or is techno your first ever attempt at producing?
Have a few tunes on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sentient-minority

I have been tinkering with music for many years, I've been playing guitar for about 22 years and can also turn my hand to a bit of bass guitar, drums and keys.

I have always had a very eclectic taste in music and have recently been leaning more towards electronic stuff.

Specific to the techno side of things I've need listening to Headless Horseman, Pig & Dan, Pan-Pot, Oscar Mulero, Umek, Benjamin Damage etc. Also DJ's like Victor Ruiz & Stefano Noferini.

I'm also in to other sides of electronic like Boards of Canada, Bonobo, Moderat, DJ Koze, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Orbital, KLF (specifically Chill Out), Squarepusher, Shitmat, Massive Attack, Perturbator, Fever Ray, The Orb, Herbert, Autechre, Extrawelt, Aphex Twin, David August, Global Communication and the list goes on...

Gear wise I caught the hardware bug so in addition to the MacBook, Ableton and tons of plugs I have an Analog Four, Analog Rytm, OP-1 & DSI Prophet 12 keyboard (amongst other things).

I'd like to try to make some darker songs in the vein of Headless Horseman so if there any any good recommendations I'm all ears.

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

cunts.

buonacc is here.

finally got around to posting (signed up here the middle of last year), hope to make it more regular. longtime member at the Gearslutz forums, i'll make an honest attempt towards acting like less of a prick around here. i like the vibe of this place.

i've been doing electronic music for almost twenty years now, started out collecting old drum machines and analog synths when they were relatively cheap. bought and sold a ton of stuff since the late-90s, and have moved completely ITB over the past few years. absolutely loving it, don't see any need to go back to hardware at this point. using Ableton Live, Maschine, and a number of softsynths/samplers/fx/etc... totally dig it all.

i'm into a number of styles of music (classic rock, old blues, some punk, some metal, older hip-hop, some industrial, old jungle, old dub, IDM, experimental... all sorts of things) but have always had a love for techno. honestly though, i don't keep up on it much and couldn't really namedrop the latest/greatest in the genre. i'd like to learn a bit more about what's going on in the scene these days.

here's an example of one of my favorites, to give you an idea of what i like:

youtu.be/Sfsix9mJBkQ

plenty of other stuff as well, but that tune/style completely does it for me.

looking forward to posting here more, discussing production techniques and other things. maybe i'll finally start working on some tracks again... we'll see.

Great_King_Rat
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Great_King_Rat »

Hi everyone I am Dave from the UK

My Techno story? I have been 'tinkering' with Reason since release 1 on and off over the years. A couple of years ago I visited the white isle for the first time and I came back a burning ambition of making at least one track and hearing it in a DJ set. Anywhere would do. Since then I have spent many hours trying to migrate from tinkering to a full song. Some shocking results when I listen back , too much melody and just not Techno which is what I love to dance to. I have been on more Research missions to Ibiza since and over the last year delved into greater depths about the art. The results I have had recently have given me much more confidence and there is so much I still dont know which makes it all the more exciting!

I thought it was time to noodle with similar minded Techno-ers.

Good beats to all! :-)

avmilli
Pig

Post by avmilli »

buonacc wrote:cunts.

buonacc is here.

finally got around to posting (signed up here the middle of last year), hope to make it more regular. longtime member at the Gearslutz forums, i'll make an honest attempt towards acting like less of a prick around here. i like the vibe of this place.

i've been doing electronic music for almost twenty years now, started out collecting old drum machines and analog synths when they were relatively cheap. bought and sold a ton of stuff since the late-90s, and have moved completely ITB over the past few years. absolutely loving it, don't see any need to go back to hardware at this point. using Ableton Live, Maschine, and a number of softsynths/samplers/fx/etc... totally dig it all.

i'm into a number of styles of music (classic rock, old blues, some punk, some metal, older hip-hop, some industrial, old jungle, old dub, IDM, experimental... all sorts of things) but have always had a love for techno. honestly though, i don't keep up on it much and couldn't really namedrop the latest/greatest in the genre. i'd like to learn a bit more about what's going on in the scene these days.

here's an example of one of my favorites, to give you an idea of what i like:

youtu.be/Sfsix9mJBkQ

plenty of other stuff as well, but that tune/style completely does it for me.

looking forward to posting here more, discussing production techniques and other things. maybe i'll finally start working on some tracks again... we'll see.

avmilli
Pig

Post by avmilli »

A very well tailored track - excellent choice.

Kraht
fake

Post by Kraht »

Hi guys. My name is Koenrahd, age 28, Netherlands (Noord Holland). I got a history in recordings bands and such, also a musician myself. Since a couple of years into producing Techno. Mostly dark and deep techno like Monoloc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HNVPfVLbY0, but also powerfull techno with loads of sounds beeps and boom: Scalameriya https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_oSY0VWrKA.

My gear: Analog keys electron - Korg electribe emx2. Daws: Ableton and Logic

Here are some of my demo's www.soundcloud.com/koenrahd

I hope to contribute here on the forum with my thoughts and opinions and also to receive tips and tricks in the game of producing Techno.

Cheers!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Welcome everyone!

Nice to see new people saying hello. Hope to see ye around :)
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Great_King_Rat wrote:Hi everyone I am Dave from the UK

My Techno story? I have been 'tinkering' with Reason since release 1 on and off over the years. A couple of years ago I visited the white isle for the first time and I came back a burning ambition of making at least one track and hearing it in a DJ set. Anywhere would do. Since then I have spent many hours trying to migrate from tinkering to a full song. Some shocking results when I listen back , too much melody and just not Techno which is what I love to dance to. I have been on more Research missions to Ibiza since and over the last year delved into greater depths about the art. The results I have had recently have given me much more confidence and there is so much I still dont know which makes it all the more exciting!

I thought it was time to noodle with similar minded Techno-ers.

Good beats to all! :-)
Welcome! :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

V88 wrote:Top ik zal even kijken naar die koptelefoons!

Haha ja dat had ik al gemerkt idd. Dan gaan we lekker nederlands lullen. Aan wat voor prijs zat je te denken voor je software?

stuur me gewoon een PM wanneer je voorbij de 10 posts bent.
dan zie je maar wat je doet. :)

theor
tense

Post by theor »

Hi. I'm Damien from France. My interest in techno goes back to the late 90s when I was a teen. I would listen to Carl Craig, Laurent Garnier, Scan X and a lot of various artist.
I first started making music with an old copy of Reason 2 back in 2002, but I'm not sure I would call my early work 'music'. I had a long break before trying again with Live 7 in the late 2000s, with the influence of newer work from artists such as Oscar Mularo and Surgeon.

My interest in music is broader than techno, I like electronic music as a whole, including industrial, and will listen to anything from Autechre to Crystal Method, Massive Attack, Chris Randall and dozens of others, including deeper or more ambient style (I think someone already mentioned BoC).

Right now my software gear includes Ableton Live 9 Suite, NI FM8 and u-he ACE (all purchased and registered). On the hardware side, it took a long time to make my mind between an Elektron A4 and a Minilogue. I went for the Minilogue and so far I'm glad I chose it. Everything that comes out of it is lovely, it even does lovely FM basses! I also use an M-Audio Oxygen 49 as a MIDI controller and 8 tracks mixer.

Here's a quick picture of my setup, sorry for the phone quality:
https://s16.postimg.org/gd2anu09f/DSC_0823.jpg

I know this setup is still quite light and crude, rightly so since I'm really just a beginner. Note that I only use the headphones for making music, the little speakers are just for watching series.

Right now my main difficulty is translating my ideas from session mode to actual tracks, but I'll get there eventually. I'm glad to be part of this forum, I've already learned a lot from you guys!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

welcome Damien,
where are you from in France ?

btw : the Crystal Method's 1st album, "Vegas", that used to be one of my all time favorite albums.
Kind of lost track of what they were doing after their 3r or 4th album though.
But "Vegas", pfff, wonderful album.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Koenrahd wrote:Hi guys. My name is Koenrahd, age 28, Netherlands (Noord Holland). I got a history in recordings bands and such, also a musician myself. Since a couple of years into producing Techno. Mostly dark and deep techno like Monoloc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HNVPfVLbY0, but also powerfull techno with loads of sounds beeps and boom: Scalameriya https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_oSY0VWrKA.

My gear: Analog keys electron - Korg electribe emx2. Daws: Ableton and Logic

Here are some of my demo's http://www.soundcloud.com/koenrahd

I hope to contribute here on the forum with my thoughts and opinions and also to receive tips and tricks in the game of producing Techno.

Cheers!
u weest wel gekomen.

I'm listening to your tracks at the moment,
I quite like some of the sounds you use in your tracks man.
nice stuff.