Some interesting tweaks I found in Ableton's Reverb

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
zarkas
beast
Some interesting tweaks I found in Ableton's Reverb

Post by zarkas »

To be honest when I first switched to Ableton I didn't use the stocked plug ins at all and now I ve ended up using only them.
I was using Valhalla Reverbs (which are great don't get me wrong) but recently I found out that Abletons rev is very very suitable as a kick send when applying some of the following:

A relatively small space, around 4-15 maximum. What I always did was crank up the space and the kick reverb always ended up washed out, unnatural and lacking power. With a small space what happens is that the kick reverb appears to be "closer" which is either way wanted for the subs.

A relatively small decay, from 2,15 to 4,5 seconds. Same here, I used to to use large decays which again somehow don't necessarily add power.

There is a sweet spot among these two where it's really audible that the bass has more strength.

Switch the stereo down to zero and have it already mono before further processing, you get your solid mono verb on the lows and then work on that (not necessary maybe but I found it helpful)

Then the fun part, have some slight modulations on the Density, the Room Size and the Spin.

They can be tricky, especially the Room Size, because when you adjust it, it gives that noise, but when automating the envelope on the clip to adjust simultaneously you get rid of that and end up with a very subtle change of the sound.

The Spin I ve noticed it adds a bit on the 90-120 Hz region, great to use for a subtle groove and the Density gives more power to the overall sound (again it can also generate that noise as the Room Size but can be avoided when automated really fast)

Just sharing some random thing I came across through experimentation :)

gtsm
fake
Re: Some interesting tweaks I found in Ableton's Reverb

Post by gtsm »

Oh, the ever elusive perfect kick reverb.. :D thanks for sharing, will have to try these tweaks and see what comes out of it.