Midi Sync with Ableton as Master

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
nomadjames
mummy!!
Re: Midi Sync with Ableton as Master

Post by nomadjames »

WOLF! wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 pm
Although the Usamo can generate notes and cc's I only use it for generating the midi clock.
Usamo midi (clock) out goes to a midi splitter that goes to all my sequencers (3).
Outputs of the sequencers are merged via a second midi patcher that's connected with all the synths and drumcomputers.
Make sure there's only one device that generates clock otherwise you get double speed tempo (settings of your sequencers).
It's possible to give the Usamo's output a offset to adjust the latency but then the whole network starts with a delay (and you have to wait one bar until the start is given to your machines).

The Usamo was bought to test but I'm still using it because it's working great.
No fancy 'magic' technology over here; everything runs fine with dedicated devices. No midi and audio streaming over usb as I wanted to reduce all the shit to a minimum. I've lost enough precious time doing different experiments.
I do the same thing, almost, I run my USAMO into an MPC and out to all the other hardware.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

And I only run clock through it.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

I do the same with an InnerClock SyncGen. Clock over audio is the only way I know of to get hardware quality sync between a DAW on a modern OS and hardware.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

converters are shit mostly. i got some jack to chinch converters and they are horrible. better buy a good cable that has the function you want

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Anybody played a bit with slaving ableton to some ext clock?
I had no luck yet..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Midi is bullshit innit?
Fuck me, it's still v1.0
They've been talking about midi 2.0 for what......30 years now? And still all this bollocks
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

zukenbauer wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:03 pm
Anybody played a bit with slaving ableton to some ext clock?
I had no luck yet..
Did some test; horrible result :?. Ended up with ableton sending out the master clock or just recording audio clips.
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:19 pm
Midi is bullshit innit?
Fuck me, it's still v1.0
They've been talking about midi 2.0 for what......30 years now? And still all this bollocks
I understand you want evolution. But it still works and is still supported.
I'm having my doubts that USB will last for 30 years.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

WOLF! wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:17 pm

But it still "works" and is still supported.
I'm having my doubts that USB will last for 30 years.
Corrected for accuracy.

Well a lot of annoying, frustrating shit "works".
Doesn't mean things can't be improved.
USB has evolved and it's got.... Better. USB 3 is great. No doubt in 29 years time something even better will come along, great, I'm all for it.
But like I said, they've been talking about updating midi protocol for 3 decades. It was never expected to last as long as it did and tech is now starting to hit a bottleneck with midi.
Maybe HD Midi will happen one day.
The day that mind machine interfaces happen and midi becomes defunct.... Probably.

Hey kids, check this shit out, seems pretty cool for syncing stuff with Ableton.

youtu.be/wDBMct4nuzk
New Shit

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Yeah I am kind of amazed it's still around, but I am totally glad about it as must equipment has it and it kind works well enough half the time.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

There is MPE on the expression side which Roli is championing well enough. And the fact is, for syncing purposes MIDI works just as well as it ever did. The problem is that modern operating systems don't give a fuck about MIDI latency and the overhead from all the scheduling causes it to be anything but realtime.

What we need is the modern equivalent of an Atari ST. If just one damn major DAW maker would release their DAW for Linux, a realtime kernel could make sure the MIDI bus actually got top scheduling priority.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

quest wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:08 pm
for syncing purposes MIDI works just as well as it ever did.
Exactly, it`s never been great
New Shit

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I'm really aiming at getting a multiclock next month, making a birthday present to myself. After checking possibilities out there, it seems like it's a great solution for having live as master and being able to control daw and hardware with launchpad or apc or whatever via live. My workflow contains a lot of arpeggiator, lfo, internal sequencer, synced fx - use, so i guess i'm gonna be pretty happy with improved timing. That shop around the corner offers "30 days money back" guarantee, so even if it's not that much an improvement worth 500€, i'll just bring it back.
:geek:

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

I see Ableton Link as the ultimate replacement of MIDI clock. OSC had an opportunity for awhile but there was no commercial force behind it. Same with MIDI really. The association are kind of slackers. Void is dead right about the HD Midi vapor ware. One dubious NAMM announcement and then nothing again.

Yep, Ableton Link and Roli MPE is the future. I wonder if the future of music technology is cyberpunk too.

Stereomatic
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Stereomatic »

Hello, I was not sure if i should open up a new Topic or not, so i thought i ask here. I guess this is going to be fairly simple for you guys to answer but im pretty new to the Hardware gear world.
The following Scenario:

I am using Cubase, and all i own right now is an Audio Interface and the Volca Kick from Korg. When i create an Audio channel in Cubase and record something from the volca, it is perfectly synced. Though, when i enable Monitoring, and want to "jam" the volca lets say to a melody i made in e.g. NI Massive, the volca is not synced and pretty far off. I have no external clock, cubase is the master clock. could this be the Problem?

Grateful for any help! :)

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Stereomatic wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:13 pm
Hello, I was not sure if i should open up a new Topic or not, so i thought i ask here. I guess this is going to be fairly simple for you guys to answer but im pretty new to the Hardware gear world.
The following Scenario:

I am using Cubase, and all i own right now is an Audio Interface and the Volca Kick from Korg. When i create an Audio channel in Cubase and record something from the volca, it is perfectly synced. Though, when i enable Monitoring, and want to "jam" the volca lets say to a melody i made in e.g. NI Massive, the volca is not synced and pretty far off. I have no external clock, cubase is the master clock. could this be the Problem?

latency. It's unavoidable but can be reduced to an acceptable level...
https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... tency.html

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Stereomatic wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:13 pm

Here you got some basic terms explained: https://youtu.be/94VRFrisKLw

After that, you can go and try to optimize your settings and stuff. Good luck :)

Stereomatic
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Stereomatic »

thank you very much for the replies, helped a lot :)

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

hey together, i just bought a multiclock myself and i'm measuring my gear's timing atm. so i programm a percussive hit on 1,2,3,4 on each synth/ drummachine and record it in live and listen to it against a sample (1,2,3,4) in live to check the timing. after that i tune the clock via the multiclock for every machine that needs it.
so now i'm recording that 1,2,3,4 hits and after tuning the timing, the grid shows me that nearly all machines are somewhat unstable in timing. like the first hit is on point, the second 1ms too early, the third on point, the fourth 1ms.. and so on. only my pro2 seems stable. by ear it's hardly audible. is this a jitter problem or am i too fussy? it appears either when using the multiclock or my fireface as midi-interface. any ideas?

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

id just leave it as is.
maybe it can add some nice grooves

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

jep, just finished setting it all up and damn, it's a real workflow improvement. suddenly all machines are like yeah, let's groove together. i'm wondering how i managed to produce techno without this little box until now. my ears say this 1ms jitter, or whatever it is, doesn't matter.. would still like to know if anyone has ideas, just to increase my understanding.