Anybody else here have a dedicated kick synth?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
nomadjames
mummy!!
Anybody else here have a dedicated kick synth?

Post by nomadjames »

I have a volca kick, Since you have to use a headphone out, sometimes I run the second output to a Big Muff Pi I have laying around. I run it through a Korg TP2 preamp right now. Don't really have much else to run it through at them moment. Even un-processed, it cuts through pretty good. Biggest complaint about it is that it seems to trigger to high in pitch by default. I use MIDI to trigger the not lower. Don't really use the on board sequencing at all.

Wondering what anyone else processes their analog kicks through.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Constructs
Exampleless
Re: Anybody else here have a dedicated kick synth?

Post by Constructs »

I mostly use the stock ableton 909, saturate with nearly 100% drive, eq, compress and add some side chained sine waves.

Just ordered a RYTM, hoping I like it enough to use as my dedicated kick synth :P I use a trick Into the Void posted a while back, stretching kick samples to make rolling basslines, good stuff.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I make some nice kicks with my Blofeld sometimes, but I wouldn't call it a dedicated kick synth. I prefer variety in my kicks and a dedicated synth would limit my textures.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

suppressor
Alf Garnett

Post by suppressor »

I brought the Punchbox VST and it was one of the best decisions i have made.

I have only got into the factory stuff so far but it is all I have needed to up the quality of the kick drums in my tracks.

http://d16.pl/punchbox

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

Constructs wrote:I use a trick Into the Void posted a while back, stretching kick samples to make rolling basslines, good stuff.
Could you please repost that trick?

I use PunchBox from D16, too.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Yes.

I have a jomox mbase 11.

I'm very cautious when it comes to buying gear. I needed something that I would use and is cheap and hardy.

I like it a lot.

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

I've been using Sonicacademy Kick2 a lot recently when trying to make softer low end kicks for Dub Techno, taking out the click layer almost completely, softening the transient further with the envelope and filtering right down, I also use it for fills/bass transposing the same kick down a few semitones to get that low end melody in the bass that you hear in Deepchord / Echospace tracks. I'm still very much on a learning curve with this and experimenting with subtle distortion/filter using ohmicide and running through u-he satin in order to give it some warmth after processing and filtering it right down to almost non existence. I may be doing it all wrong haha but I'm just experimenting at present, trying to master creating that soft kick / bass.

Example of my low end kicks, not mixed properly, not been ran through Tape Sat yet, still in the early stages with this one but you will get the idea.

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

I mostly use synsonic free vsts for making 909 and 808 kicks at the moment which are pretty decent IMO

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

The thing's actually pretty versatile as a module, been using it to make pitched percussion, basses, and kicks.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

collide wrote:
Constructs wrote:I use a trick Into the Void posted a while back, stretching kick samples to make rolling basslines, good stuff.

Here you go
Lost to the Void wrote:Take any kick, load it as an audio clip. Go in to the clip editor, switch to warp, beats mode.
Create a warp marker at the beginning of the kick, then one well after the initial transient, then another about half way in to the meat of the kick, just as the decay begins, or well in to the decay. Pull this warp marker out (whilst looping the kick in session view) and ass you pull it out you will start to generate sub after the kick transient.
It takes a lot of fiddling but it`s a really nice way to turn a kick drum in to a kick and sub bassline, without losing the punch of the kick. Stretch it out enough and the sub will start rythmically pulsing.
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

suppressor wrote:I brought the Punchbox VST and it was one of the best decisions i have made.

I have only got into the factory stuff so far but it is all I have needed to up the quality of the kick drums in my tracks.

I was thinking of getting that.
Versatile?
New Shit

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

What Void said :D
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

I've use Punchbox, it's very nice indeed. Excellent for harder kicks with punch, probably why they called it punchbox :)

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

0dd wrote:
collide wrote:

Here you go
Lost to the Void wrote:Take any kick, load it as an audio clip. Go in to the clip editor, switch to warp, beats mode.
Create a warp marker at the beginning of the kick, then one well after the initial transient, then another about half way in to the meat of the kick, just as the decay begins, or well in to the decay. Pull this warp marker out (whilst looping the kick in session view) and ass you pull it out you will start to generate sub after the kick transient.
It takes a lot of fiddling but it`s a really nice way to turn a kick drum in to a kick and sub bassline, without losing the punch of the kick. Stretch it out enough and the sub will start rythmically pulsing.
Cool.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Fartbox.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

New Shit

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

+1 for punchbox, easily best kick vst I've used

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

Lost to the Void wrote:
suppressor wrote:I brought the Punchbox VST and it was one of the best decisions i have made.

Versatile?
vs.
Lost to the Void wrote:
collide wrote:D16's Punchbox is worth checking out.

God damn. The amount of shit in that plugin!!!!

I mean, how much trouble making decent kick drums are people having that something with that amount of crap on it is needed???

I'm always up for creative tools, but bloody hell, that seems like the throw enough mud at the wall and hope some of it sticks method of kick drum creation.
:?:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

rsntr wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Versatile?
vs.
Lost to the Void wrote:
collide wrote:D16's Punchbox is worth checking out.

God damn. The amount of shit in that plugin!!!!

I mean, how much trouble making decent kick drums are people having that something with that amount of crap on it is needed???

I'm always up for creative tools, but bloody hell, that seems like the throw enough mud at the wall and hope some of it sticks method of kick drum creation.
:?:
I was interested in the actual kick generation\generator and not the bells and whistles gaffa taped on to all sides saturators, distortions and all the other shit they bolted in to it. Hence *thinking* of getting and not bought already.
New Shit

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

MDrummer from Meldaproduction is pretty nice. Complicated interface but once you figure it out it is very powerful.
All percussive elements in this track was made with one instance of it;

https://soundcloud.com/user4687170/exchange