Klevgränd DAW cassette

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
timc3
Back Bling
Klevgränd DAW cassette

Post by timc3 »

Anyone tried this yet? Sounds interesting.

https://store.klevgrand.se/item/dawcassette

karol
Interact. Don't Spam.
Re: Klevgränd DAW cassette

Post by karol »

in short...it's a great tool for character,like it better than fuse tcs-68:)maybe i'm wrong but it does some nice compression to material,especially to hihats,like it on master as well...

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I tried the demo earlier, wouldn't use it on the master but so far I like it on synths. The hiss is quite nice, it reacts to the signal dynamics in a nice way.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Nope, that's it, we've jumped the shark, I'm going back to hitting logs.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Analogue log?

I'm really struggling to get this cassette tape thing tbh. Even if cassette is coming back as a worthwhile medium, who's got a decent qaulity tape player that plays it back properly...?

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

terryfalafel wrote:who's got a decent qaulity tape player that plays it back properly...?
I have a little CD/cassette/radio thing from the 90's that I won't part with. The CD player doesn't work, it's beat up, has paint splashes etc. But it's the only thing that will consistently play old tapes without chewing them up. I've had nice seperates, an ex-BBC tape deck, newer ghetto blaster type things but they all fail to work properly.

Cassette was always my least favourite medium. I didn't mind the sound, but even brand new commercially sold albums on tape could snap or be chewed up before you even got to hear side 2.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

totalcult
BAD

Post by totalcult »

If you're tempted, I'd recommend you try this freebie before splarting 20 dollarbucks (let alone 40 - gasp!): https://www.hispasonic.com/foros/1982-a ... tis/365191

It doesn't do wobble/wow - so you'd need another plugin for that (if that's your bag), but the saturation sounds pretty cassette-ish to me and you can load your own noise loops into it, which adds to the versatility. (Disclaimer: it's a 32-bit VST, so you'll probably need some sort of bridge if your DAW doesn't do it naturally)

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Is that freebie legit? I mean they host it on MediaFire...

I don't really care whether it emulates cassette properly or not, I just like stuff that does interesting things to sound.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

terryfalafel wrote:Analogue log?

I'm really struggling to get this cassette tape thing tbh. Even if cassette is coming back as a worthwhile medium, who's got a decent qaulity tape player that plays it back properly...?
I mean, if done right cassette can sound great.

But trying to emulate cassette in vst form????

It's an illustration of how messed up DAW land is. People are so (wrongly) convinced digital is "Bad" and anything analog is da bestest Eva that plugins like this come along.

"Hey I want my nice fidelity audio to sound shit please, because analogy is da shitz I read it inz the attack magazine innit".

I'm waiting for a new plugin to come out called
"broken microcassette dictaphone emulator".
That models the behaviour of a shit quality dictaphone from the 80s. Including circuit emulations of a very cheap integrated condenser mic and wildly overdriven recording levels.
New Shit

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

I spend most of my time on a different forum (traitor!) filled with electronics experts, mixing desk designers, and old school audio engineers. They're more into measurement than subjective stuff.

And the one thing that comes up over and over again is that when the so-called golden era of equipment was being produced : the Fairchilds, the LA2As, the pultecs, 1970s neves and API bits, the equipment that now have a so called coloured or 'mojo' sound, was not built to sound coloured or vintage. The attempt was to take limited tools, parts and techniques and make everything as high fidelity as possible. That some stuff became 'classic' and some didn't is mostly down to the transformers that they used, combined with 40 years of aging parts, plus a large helping of analogue is better type dogma

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

For what is worth, I don't think this is meant to be an 'analog' soundgoodizer where you turn it on and everything sounds better, it's just a little, fairly specific, colouration effect.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

terryfalafel wrote:I spend most of my time on a different forum (traitor!) filled with electronics experts, mixing desk designers, and old school audio engineers. They're more into measurement than subjective stuff.

And the one thing that comes up over and over again is that when the so-called golden era of equipment was being produced : the Fairchilds, the LA2As, the pultecs, 1970s neves and API bits, the equipment that now have a so called coloured or 'mojo' sound, was not built to sound coloured or vintage. The attempt was to take limited tools, parts and techniques and make everything as high fidelity as possible. That some stuff became 'classic' and some didn't is mostly down to the transformers that they used, combined with 40 years of aging parts, plus a large helping of analogue is better type dogma
Well of course. Does anyone think otherwise.

The fairchild is full of valves because that was the tech at the time, it was designed as a front end for vinyl cutting to help protect the needle and was designed to be a super fast and transparent limiter. It was super fast for the time, and super transparent for the time.
Obviously it became popular in broadcast too due to the speed of it. It took a while before people discovered the joy of the feedback topology it had and how it can be used on drum heavy program material in a pleasing way.
Lots of engineers were exceedingly happy when new solid state based stuff could equal the speed because the fairchild had a ridiculous noise floor.
It's also shit house to maintain.

I think most characterful gear was discovered as having character through abuse.

It's only a lot later that the industry started making devices to actually single out these kind of sounds.

The Thermionic Culture Vulture Mastering Edition being a perfect example of this.

If you had of presented that device to porky in the 60s the man would have thought you were crazy.

Distortion for mastering?

I had am Ampex Atr 102 in the mastering room for a while. Refurbished it myself.
It was great.
But clients used to complain, they'd ask for tape mastering, so I used my lovely 102, but they thought the final sound was too clean and not "tapey" enough.
The 102 is one of the best mastering machines made, very high fidelity. You could get it to add some glue and sheen but it was very pure.
I sold it in the end because everyone expected the squeeze to be more obvious, and the saturation to be dirtier.
So I went back to my old G36.

Even then people still complain sometimes as it is (like most good reel to reel) pretty subtle.

So actually a lot of the time now I use the Culture Vulture and just don't tell people, when they want "saturated tape" because they don't actually want saturated tape, they don't even know what it means.
New Shit

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Lost to the Void wrote:So actually a lot of the time now I use the Culture Vulture and just don't tell people
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Not really interested in more tape emulations, though it makes me wonder if this will gain any traction with the cassette-release crowd for that double tape sound.
how far do you want to go

ggroove
brown envelope

Post by ggroove »

It's another cheap and great tool. Tried it on synths and a few other percussive elements.

I like it!

As usual lately swedes are killing it!

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I always like these kinds of things more in theory than in practice.

Better to just release cassettes and play them on a cassette player. :P