Bending the rumbles.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
aaastronomy
Interact. Don't Spam.
Bending the rumbles.

Post by aaastronomy »

greetings!

Long time lurkin, first time postin here.

I have a question about kick-verb-rumbles. What I want is for the rumble to not be all straight, but to move more like for example, pitch bend down smoothly and controlled towards the end of the sample (make a kinda "euum"). Is this all usually done with just transposition modulation(my results seem far from the ideal) in the clip or is there another way about it?

thanks!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Bending the rumbles.

Post by Lost to the Void »

Examples might help
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I'd resample the rumble and then use pitch bend.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

aaastronomy wrote:greetings!

Long time lurkin, first time postin here.

I have a question about kick-verb-rumbles. What I want is for the rumble to not be all straight, but to move more like for example, pitch bend down smoothly and controlled towards the end of the sample (make a kinda "euum"). Is this all usually done with just transposition modulation(my results seem far from the ideal) in the clip or is there another way about it?

thanks!
This is a Machine-Learning AI which has taught itself how to interact on techno forums.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

I'd say your options are rather limited, you pitch bend your rumble and put reverb on that, or resample your rumble and then slap on a pitch envelope.

winston wrote: This is a Machine-Learning AI which has taught itself how to interact on techno forums.
By the way the way the question was formulated you could argue that, though if it can string together semi-coherent sentences like that I'd expect it to be into more esoteric shit (a la deepmind art or that nightmare machine thing), than a tired old rumble variation.
how far do you want to go

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

What he said ^^^^

You could always bounce a single kick & reverb.. filter & distortion, eq.. whatever, into a single audio file.

After that, import it into a sampler & apply pitch envelopes.. lfos.. you name it. Go wild.

Load it into several samplers on several tracks, or grouped Ableton sampler instrument rack, create variations & see how it sounds.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

As you see there are many ways to do it.

Another one would be to, in your DAW (beside the re-sampled way that previous posters mentioned) clone your kick to a new channel set up and use all necessary ingredients in terms of processing to turn it to a rumble kick and then use an external plugin that does pitch-shifting and automate it.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

bounce rumble to sample, load in sampler, use pitch modulation to modulate it

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

Gonna necro this thread with an example! Not a rumble but it is a bass bend. I was wondering if it's first note slower, second note faster bend, or does the first note have a fast upward pitch bend first and then goes down and then the second just a faster bend down? Was also wondering about it's waveform, it's pretty much lowpassed and I'm still pretty bad at discerning them.
youtu.be/blbXPATR9io
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

You mean the reverb rumble under the kick?
New Shit

0dd

Post by 0dd »

No, it's higher in pitch than rumbleverb, it's a half bar pattern. Real simple sound yet I can't get it. Gives kind of a sucking effect.
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah there is no note bending going on at all there, it`s just an arpeggio of notes with serious reverb on them.
It gets pulled in to the mix once the kick comes in so stani may have a compressor on the mix.
Listen in the breakdown, it`s pretty clear.
New Shit

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Not sure we're talking about the same thing cause you say it's an arp. Seems to me like just 2 notes. Or am I not hearing that right?

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

You could get an interesting result by slightly shifting the frequency spectrum of the rumble with an LFO modulated frequency shifter. This would be less discernible than pitch shifting and more interesting to listen to methinks.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Dilinger wrote:Not sure we're talking about the same thing cause you say it's an arp. Seems to me like just 2 notes. Or am I not hearing that right?
There`s only one thing doing the "bass" it`s a mush of notes swamped in reverb.
Again, listen to the breakdown, it`s more clear. Harmonics are picked out now and again making it sound like longer notes.
It might even just be reverb (possibly with delay) on the main arpeggio that has been EQ`d down to a drone, but whatever is feeding that reverb is a run of notes.
But yeah, an auditory illusion is making you think it is something esle, it`s as clear as day in the mastering room here that it`s a note mush.
New Shit

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Well I'd never guess it's made that way, thanks for clearing that up. Now something totally unrelated except for that song, the hook, the main arp, is 6/4 pattern, or 1.5 bars long if I'm right? Now, Mulero drops it in here at 16:35 and at first the notes in the middle of the pattern repeat once making it a 2 bar loop. I'm going nowhere in particular with this question, I just listened and went wtf?! As far as I know he would need to loop just that part of the hook to do that and that's clearly not what he's doing. Wtf?
youtu.be/mzwAC_Am0bl

0dd

Post by 0dd »

^modders please edit, broken yt link, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzwAC_Am0bI&t=982s

Also, Void, Yeah listening now on headphones, I can hear the arp much more clearly

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mulero does a lot of slick looping in his sets. Especially recently.
He'll EQ the shit out of a piece of tune, loop it and run another tune, EQ it to bits, dub that over the loop, then mix another tune over that.
He's gotten so fucking precise now it's crazy.
New Shit

0dd

Post by 0dd »

So he is looping it, now that's bat shit crazy! Gotta love that moment at 19:25

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

mulero is boss idd.
love his sets.
you can hear alot of expertise & experience