My first hardware synth...

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
SHIDZO
pregnant
My first hardware synth...

Post by SHIDZO »

So I’m thinking of getting my first hardware synth.

This is what I’m looking for…

- Would like to use it as my master MIDI keyboard, so it should have a few keys I can hit
- Modulation opportunities within the synth would be great
- Polyphony

Would love to have it as a versatile instrument which I can use for practicing playing the piano, turning knobs to see (“feel”) what happens with the sound and in the end use it as a lead instrument or for stabs, pads et cetera p.p.

My search resulted in the Waldorf Blofeld or the Roland JD-Xi

Anyone any recommendations? Why? Am I missing a secret weapon?

Looking forward to receiving some input.

Cheers!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: My first hardware synth...

Post by dubdub »

I think the Minilogue is hard to beat for the price.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

korg minilogue
Nord lead
sh101 (monophonic)
Arp Odyssey
Moog Voyager. If you have the money.

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

dubdub wrote:I think the Minilogue is hard to beat for the price.
I had a look at this bad boy as well, which I instantly liked. But isn't it very limited with the 4 voices? Like doesn't that mean I could only hit 4 keys at once?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Bit of a broad question.

Budget and needs would need to be a little more defined.

Digital? Analog? What kind of polyphony (are you going to be doing ridiculous 8 note chords or will 4 suffice?)
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

The poly most on my list is the Behringer DeepMind 12.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

First of all, thanks for the replies so far.

Here a bit more details…

I don’t think I will become the next piano superstar (who knows though…) but I have a feeling that 4 voices aren’t enough. It’s like playing a chord and one bass note and then that’s it. What I’m trying to say is, that it might upset me in the future even more and I end up regretting the purchase.
Regarding the costs I would go for 500 bucks, which is € in my case. I would consider second hand as well. If it turns out to be 600 bucks then I could still live with it. Since it would be hardware and something different to software it would also be nice to have something analog, although I would be happy with a hybrid, like the Roland I mentioned.

And yeah, would use it as an all-rounder. For example having my drums all set up and going via the DAW I would use the synth for stabs, melodies, pads, basically being able to create a whole track with it would be the best case. Like I said, I would love to be able to modulate myself but I wouldn’t hate a few presets either. Hope that’s enough :D

Thanks again!!

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

I'm thinking about the minilogue for a good "cheap" all rounder..

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I do not like the JD-Xi. I mean, you can get some good sounds out of it but I think there are plenty of other, better sounding options in your budget range. I also strongly dislike the keys.

Also, the Blofeld Keyboard version is more than $1000, so I assume you are looking at the desktop? It sounds great but doesn't solve your need-for-keys issue.

Minilogue is a great first hardware synth. It's also a great learning tool, if you want to expand your knowledge of subtractive synthesis.

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

nomadjames wrote:The poly most on my list is the Behringer DeepMind 12.
Will look into that one. I owned a BCD 2000 prob. 15 years ago and I hated it. Then there was this cheap rip off of the DJM 600, the look of this piece of shit still comes up in some nightmares I have haha - hence haven't really looked into Behringer yet... I know they made this massively great FOH mixer but stilllll... Or maybe that's the secret weapon then, hey

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

youtu.be/lltb5P8gnPQ

I might have found what I want... :o

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

The_G wrote:I do not like the JD-Xi. I mean, you can get some good sounds out of it but I think there are plenty of other, better sounding options in your budget range. I also strongly dislike the keys.

Also, the Blofeld Keyboard version is more than $1000, so I assume you are looking at the desktop? It sounds great but doesn't solve your need-for-keys issue.

Minilogue is a great first hardware synth. It's also a great learning tool, if you want to expand your knowledge of subtractive synthesis.
I do not like the JD-Xi. I mean, you can get some good sounds out of it but I think there are plenty of other, better sounding options in your budget range. I also strongly dislike the keys.
Plenty? The Minilogue, and?
I had the keyboard version reserved, used, 420 bucks with fancy wood parts on the side. Keyboard is essential...

rabbit
Unfriended

Post by rabbit »

I know it is slightly above your budget - but did you consider the analog keys from elektron?
You may get one for 800€ with a bit of luck.

youtu.be/wDViPmOm8aM

I really love those machines from elektron.
Especially the analog series.. what a fucking awesome sound.
And plenty of options!
Some people complain about difficulty of usability.. but it depends on you. For me it is a total "everything makes sense aka. genius" usability.
Check out some tutorials from Mr. Dataline (product manager at Elektron) if you are still in evaluation mode - definitely worth a look! :)
over.

gtsm
fake

Post by gtsm »

SHIDZO wrote:youtu.be/lltb5P8gnPQ

This one sounds amazing.

OTOH, being a hardware virgin, I have question for everyone. How much would you say your productions changed (improved?) with adding first hardware synths to your studio? Was it a dramatic change? I have to justify a purchase somehow :lol:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

rabbit wrote:I know it is slightly above your budget - but did you consider the analog keys from elektron?
You may get one for 800€ with a bit of luck.

youtu.be/wDViPmOm8aM

I really love those machines from elektron.
Especially the analog series.. what a fucking awesome sound.
And plenty of options!
Some people complain about difficulty of usability.. but it depends on you. For me it is a total "everything makes sense aka. genius" usability.
Check out some tutorials from Mr. Dataline (product manager at Elektron) if you are still in evaluation mode - definitely worth a look! :)

Thing is, OP said this " turning knobs to see (“feel”) what happens with the sound"

And Elektrons Encoders don`t give you that feeling. You turn them but the feeling doesn`t relate to the sound, it`s very strange, they either go at the high detail rate (which is too slow and feels like an encoder) or with the button push they go at the high speed rate, which feels too quick and lacking details.
You are essentially just using a midi controller attached to a computer, at least in feedback terms, when controlling elektron stuff.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

gtsm wrote:

This one sounds amazing.

OTOH, being a hardware virgin, I have question for everyone. How much would you say your productions changed (improved?) with adding first hardware synths to your studio? Was it a dramatic change? I have to justify a purchase somehow :lol:

It won`t improve your sound at all, only better production skills will do that.
It might/or might not change your sound, it really depends on what you use and how.

Don`t go in to this with typical mythic "EVERYTHING will be different and AMAZING" first time user stuff.
Because it won`t be much different honestly.
New Shit

rabbit
Unfriended

Post by rabbit »

gtsm wrote:

This one sounds amazing.

Definitely a healthy increase - but this depends on the time you are investing into theory beside just tweezing knobs and keys :-)
over.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I can tell you that going the hardware route is no guaranty for success but everyone should try it at least when they are interested.
You need to have a bit of knowledge: how to connect the synth, learn about midi (program changes, control changes, sysex (no this is not some kind of kinky sex :D )) and the interface of the synth, a some other stuff.
You can struggle with midi jitter, sloppy clock, audio latency and issues to integrate it into a hybrid setup but at the end hardware can we very nice :geek:.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

To me, hardware totally crushed my output (plus the "quality" of my output). I suck more than ever to finish things and learn how to use the units takes even more time on top.

BUT it brought back the fun to my hobby. I was sick of fiddling around with automation lanes and editing stuff. DAW work just bored the fuck out of me. Nowadays, I rather crack a bottle of brew, fire up the machines and jam around for two hours and fuck off than push the mouse around and come up with "your next generic techno stomper wich the world don't need".

Tweaking knobs on a synth/drum box just makes me happy and is to me what the daily work out is for others.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Mono-xID wrote:To me, hardware totally crushed my output (plus the "quality" of my output). I suck more than ever to finish things and learn how to use the units takes even more time on top.

BUT it brought back the fun to my hobby. I was sick of fiddling around with automation lanes and editing stuff. DAW work just bored the fuck out of me. Nowadays, I rather crack a bottle of brew, fire up the machines and jam around for two hours and fuck off than push the mouse around and come up with "your next generic techno stomper wich the world don't need".

Tweaking knobs on a synth/drum box just makes me happy and is to me what the daily work out is for others.
This pretty much sums it up Mono! I feel your pain ;).