Will be selling my nearfields soon

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Will be selling my nearfields soon

Post by Lost to the Void »

Just a heads up, I'll be selling my current nearfields shortly as I am upgrading.

These things are pretty obscure, but truly amazing monitors, relatively rare in UK as they are a US audiophile company.
Definitive Technology Studio monitor Sm55's. 2.5 way monitors, they outperform Amphion One15's and easily stand up against the One18's (and cost less).
The top end is diamond accurate, very pure, mid range is super super tight and free of distortion so compression is very easy to tune when mixing (woofer design is super nifty), great time domain response as no porting, and the massive passive radiator on the top of each monitor throws the bass extension pretty low.
Everything I have mixed in these *in an untreated room* has translated stunningly to the mastering room (or other mastering rooms) and has needed little adjustment. I just released a really well acclaimed new release that got great reviews and featured on RA, on a much respected very historical label, which was mixed on these monitors (anon project so I can't tell you what).

So why am I getting rid of them?
Well having 2 studios means I am just getting used to the sound of mastering monitors so much now I find myself really wanting the extra detail and accuracy that a good true 3way system provides, so I have bought some 3way monitors, closing down the difference between the sound in my mastering room from the sound of the production room (but still keeping the production room in the nearfield domain). Going 2.5 way with the Deftechs set me on this path....

So. These things sell new between £700 - £800 but I will take offers on them (as new condition, no marks, original boxes and wrapping etc) here before I put them up on eBay or something.

This is just a heads up (if anyone is interested of course), I won't put them up on the classified part of the forum until my new monitors arrive.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.