Tips on decent techno production tutorials? (paid or free)

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
monot
Interact. Don't Spam.
Tips on decent techno production tutorials? (paid or free)

Post by monot »

Hi folks.

I've strayed a bit from DAWs while noodling with hardware the past few years, doing the odd liveset but not really properly recording/producing/finishing anything. I had used ableton in the past to make techno but never watched too many tutorials, just sort of experimented. This meant I invariably came up with messy loops or half tracks that were abandoned.

I am now dedicating some time to ableton again, but this time I want to get a bit more of a grounding in techno production instead of fucking about. Any tips on decent tutorials available online? I know that I'll learn something new by watching any tutorial, but for typical pounding warehouse-ey style techno are there any tutorials people have come across with relevant techniques? I'm pretty proficient with ableton, but my mixing/arrangement skills need plenty of work and I need to learn how to work better with low end sub stuff.

Many thanks in advance! :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Tips on decent techno production tutorials? (paid or fre

Post by Lost to the Void »

No, there is literally nothing.
No one here talks about production, it's not important.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

If you really keen on, there's free series of techmo production on sonic academy youtube channel

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

Lol @ Void.

I recommend browsing through the Archive subforum. There's tons of useful info in there.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

This forum has the best techno production advice you're going to get on the internet, paid or free. Just spent a few weeks reading every post by Void and Mattias :lol: (seriously)

If you really want video stuf... I don't know, all the Point Blank videos with JC (the half-balding french guy) are quite good.

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

Literally just look at the few threads above yours.
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

monot
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by monot »

Ah, yes sorry I should have stated that I meant videos. I'll check out the threads. I used the search feature but did not check these. Thanks for the others tips too folks!

Rickskii
brown envelope

Post by Rickskii »

Johannes is OK on Youtube, Echoplex has one on ADSR, Sonic Academy have several.
However......these are all Techno in it's loosest, pop kind of way.
That is NOT the type of Techno that is pedalled in here.....

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

You'll learn much much more reading the threads on this forum than watching some half-assed techno tutorials on youtube, which a lot of the time teach ways to make the most mundane muck classed as 'techno' because theres a reverb on the kick drum.

This forum is the holy grail for legit techno production advice.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Good productions skills are universal.
You don't need techno specific stuff.
In fact if that's all you do look at, you end up painting yourself in to a small box.
Good skills can be had everywhere.
Pensados place on YouTube for example. Never does techno, but invaluable production tips.
New Shit

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

monot wrote: typical pounding warehouse-ey style techno
post an example of what you're looking to make. probably every part of its sound is in the archive, but i get that you want some videos, i also find them easy to understand as you watch and know instead of visualising it (unless you are able to follow along with daw open)

monot
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by monot »

Lost to the Void wrote:Good productions skills are universal.
In fact if that's all you do look at, you end up painting yourself in to a small box.
Pensados place on YouTube for example. Never does techno, but invaluable production tips.
Thanks for the tips. That makes sense. I have a degree in production/sound engineering, a lot of which focused on bands, so that's why I was asking about more specific relating to techno production using synths/plugins. I see now there's a wealth of info on interesting videos within the archives. I'll give the Pensado videos a look too!

monot
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by monot »

winston wrote:
monot wrote: typical pounding warehouse-ey style techno
post an example of what you're looking to make. probably every part of its sound is in the archive, but i get that you want some videos, i also find them easy to understand as you watch and know instead of visualising it (unless you are able to follow along with daw open)
I stated something generic like "pounding warehouse" as I didn't think there'd be tutorials that are too specific to what I'm into. I'm really into hypnotic kind of stuff, anything on Polegroup really.... Reeko, Exium. I fall down a lot with mixing the low end: the kicks on the 1's along with the filtered rhythmic subby rumbling toms/kicks (or bass) on the 2's 3's and 4's (*edit* of 16th notes). Making everything fit without sounding to muddled & choosing correct sounds. I'm only scratching the surface of the archives but I'm sure I'll find what I need there.

Few examples of tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Ml6U_FaZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuzSGkx ... jw&index=8

I love the resonant tom sound that pervades throughout in this one but can't quite emulate it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UivaaDI ... w&index=17
Last edited by monot on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote: Pensados place on YouTube for example. Never does techno, but invaluable production tips.
Invaluable production tips, like infomercials on how to buy vodoo cables and use LANDR on your drums? :lol: Dude has very low standards when it comes to selling out.

youtu.be/aQTAy1eAq98
youtu.be/vaGE-zDoxuY

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

lol dubdub :D

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

monot wrote:
I stated something generic like "pounding warehouse" as I didn't think there'd be tutorials that are too specific to what I'm into. I'm really into hypnotic kind of stuff, anything on Polegroup really.... Reeko, Exium. I fall down a lot with mixing the low end: the kicks on the 1's along with the filtered rhythmic subby rumbling toms/kicks (or bass) on the 2's 3's and 4's (*edit* of 16th notes). Making everything fit without sounding to muddled & choosing correct sounds. I'm only scratching the surface of the archives but I'm sure I'll find what I need there.
there is a pretty decent youtube channel which would give you techniques for the low end
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkL_BZ ... a_OBi16hIw

you'll have to search for the techno stuff, as there's lots of other genres on it too. the descriptions of the videos usually have timestamps so you can jump to whatever interests you and you don't have to watch someone choosing high hat samples.

monot
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by monot »

Much obliged for that tip, Winston. I'll have a look now. Cheers!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

monot wrote:
Thanks for the tips. That makes sense. I have a degree in production/sound engineering, a lot of which focused on bands, so that's why I was asking about more specific relating to techno production using synths/plugins. I see now there's a wealth of info on interesting videos within the archives. I'll give the Pensado videos a look too!
What on earth do they teach you in these degrees?
The amount of guys I`ve spoken to who come out of music production degrees and don`t even know how to EQ or mix (not pointing at you specifically here) is weird.
One girl I know came out of a degree, then did a masters, and she was asking me how compression works. I was so stunned I just couldn`t answer.
And now she teaches production at a fucking college!!
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote: Pensados place on YouTube for example. Never does techno, but invaluable production tips.
Invaluable production tips, like infomercials on how to buy vodoo cables and use LANDR on your drums? :lol: Dude has very low standards when it comes to selling out.

youtu.be/aQTAy1eAq98
youtu.be/vaGE-zDoxuY
Yeah people were asking him how much Landr paid him.
He`s done that for a few other products as well.
The man likes money.....

First comment on that power chord video is by good old Ethan Winer
Any change that is audible is measurable. It's trivial to prove that a replacement power cord improves fidelity by measuring the output of the connected audio device with both power cords. But the people who sell these "placebo based" products never do. Or of they do the data is either fraudulent or incompetent. Shame on Dave for falling for one of the oldest scams in audio. More information, including a detailed explanation of what affects audio fidelity and what does not, is in two AES workshop videos you'll find on my own YouTube channel.
Hahaha, that cleared that shit up.

Still, the guy is a damn fine engineer and knows his shit.... I`ve picked up plenty of useful stuff from him.

Weirdly, a lot of these older guys (and some younger ones) swear by a lot of these audiophool myths. Lots of mastering engineers too. It`s actually quite surprising.
New Shit

monot
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by monot »

Lost to the Void wrote:
monot wrote:
What on earth do they teach you in these degrees?
The amount of guys I`ve spoken to who come out of music production degrees and don`t even know how to EQ or mix (not pointing at you specifically here) is weird.
One girl I know came out of a degree, then did a masters, and she was asking me how compression works. I was so stunned I just couldn`t answer.
And now she teaches production at a fucking college!!

Well to be fair, I majored in coding (Csound, Pure Data etc.) so (thankfully) my so so mixing skills went under the radar for my final grade. It wasn't a strict sound engineering degree per se, but I get what ya mean.