How do you guys play/generate the notes in your tracks?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
How do you guys play/generate the notes in your tracks?

Post by dubdub »

I'm talking about the actual notes played, ie. the MIDI information, not the sound. I'm curious because I feel like I still haven't found the perfect interface to play in the notes for my tracks. I've never liked the traditional (hardware) piano layout very much, it's design is quite arbitrary to a layman and it always takes my back to my forced piano lessons when I was like 8 years old and I can't write anything decent when I'm in front of one :lol: On the other hand, drawing in notes on the piano roll doesn't feel tactile and spontaneous enough. I've taken a liking to playing stuff on the Push recently, it's layout is quite nice because it's the same for every scale and the chord shapes are also transferable everywhere. Still thinking about buying a Kordbot though, I like the hex-ish interface, feels very techno. I'm not sure if you can add notes to any chord on it though, which would be a dealbreaker.

I like step sequencers sometimes but I personally I often feel like step sequencers and more keyboard-ish layouts don't mix that well because step sequencers tend to produce more dissonant and "wrong" note sequences whereas more traditional interface tend towards more traditionally consonant sequences and harmonies.

So, how do you guys do it? Do you play everything in live on a traditional piano keyboard? Or do you use alternative layouts like on the PUSH or the LinnStrument? Are you into piano-roll composing? Do you use hardware/software step sequencers? How much of the midi/note information do you quantize edit in the DAW afterwards?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: How do you guys play/generate the notes in your tracks?

Post by Lost to the Void »

I think of a melody, then sometimes I`ll play it out on a keyboard if I can`t get it clear in my head, then I plot it out on the piano roll. Easy peasy.

Never use step sequencers, they suck for melody, unless you are a "punch in random notes then dial in random pitches" kinda guy. But are ok for drums I guess.

I definitely want a kordbot.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

When writing on hardware, Cirklon sequencer. When on software, the Cubase piano roll. I play in chords and stuff but use the keyboard a lot less for recording MIDI than sequencing directly.

I used a Doepfer MAQ16 / 3 before the Cirklon. That was brilliant fun for wonky techno and happy accidents but was a pain to take an idea or melody in your head and then program it.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Different approaches depending on mood.

Often I hit keys on my MIDI keyboard and record it quickly and shape the sound till I get something that is interesting
enough to trigger a melody, chords or sequence in my head.

Or just hitting rec and jamming away (or have a distinct melodic idea in mind) on my MIDI keyboard.
Then use sections I like most, rearrange / cut / paste sections in a piano roll.

Or step sequencing for machine-sounds. Not in a piano roll but on a synth / machine.

Or get a certain tone out of the type of sounds just happening and play a melody inspired by that.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:I think of a melody, then sometimes I`ll play it out on a keyboard if I can`t get it clear in my head, then I plot it out on the piano roll. Easy peasy.

Never use step sequencers, they suck for melody, unless you are a "punch in random notes then dial in random pitches" kinda guy. But are ok for drums I guess.

I'm still waiting for that 3 hour Kordbot video that explains all the features in detail, Youtube is surprisingly thin on this thing.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

qu-bit octone.
octatrack.
logic stock midi device/effects
reaktor sequencers (very basic ones that come with it)

simpler the better.

gtsm
fake

Post by gtsm »

I guess you have to at least somewhat familiar and comfortable with the keyboard to be able to transfer a melody from your head to a track. Otherwise, it's just noodling and shooting in the dark mostly. OTOH, sometimes completely random methods work too - sometimes I will just hit totally random keys on the keyboard in a random order and later find a short loop that I like. This works for rolling basslines best. Also, there's this audio to midi function in ableton which can generate midi notes from your humming or other audio sources.

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

I use my keyboard (on whitch I type) as a midi keyboard to find a melody. Once I found something I like, I draw it in my pianoroll with y mouse. This is temporary till I get myself a midi keyboard again...

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

It depends on the sound.

I draw drums and percussive sounds on the piano roll.
I use the keyboard of my laptop or my Minilogue for things like pads, stabs and more melodic sounds.
Sometimes I have a clear melody in my head that I try to play out, other times I just record some notes and pick out sections I like.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I use a bunch of different methods, Push, keyboards, step sequencers...
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

midi key board mostly.
i try to find a simple sequence and then start to process the shit out of it with delays to create a groove. then when i have something satisfying i may change the notes in the midi clip. can get interesting results like that.
this is some trial & error / lucky accident method because

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I think of a melody, then sometimes I`ll play it out on a keyboard if I can`t get it clear in my head, then I plot it out on the piano roll. Easy peasy.

I'm still waiting for that 3 hour Kordbot video that explains all the features in detail, Youtube is surprisingly thin on this thing.
Yeah, weird huh?
New Shit

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah watched that yesterday.
Definitely want one.
New Shit

Shift_24
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Shift_24 »

I usually draw the notes directly with mouse, but I think it depends if you're focusing in some more melodic stuff or just a loopy simple melody (I'm in the last group)

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

Drawing in piano roll, or using microbrute's very limited sequencer, sometimes I also play on a midi keyboard and record using the quantize function in ableton

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

RS7000 or Zaquencer. Input to those 2 sequencers coming from a synth (with or without arp enabled).
Doesn't matter really what device; I just have a preference for a hardware sequencer.
Drawing notes with the mouse doesn't feel like making music for me.
I don't like that way of working because I'm on the mouse for most of my working hours.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

95% of the time I play the keys for bass and melodies. For drums usually prefer XOX and placing notes on the grid.

Somethings just have to played in by hand to get the groove right, esp bass and percussion. Been wanting to buy some real pads like the new Nord Drum.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I'm so bad at keeping time, when I have to play anything but guitar. I usually play the MIDI in and then correct the recorded midi in the piano roll (because it's boogers!). And then if I want to add some voicing I draw that in.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

This is me
over9000 wrote: Image
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....