Lofi drums/sounds

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
juodas
Indirection
Lofi drums/sounds

Post by juodas »

Allright guys, how you doin?
I need some help with a production, and i'm trying to achieve that lofi/vintage sound in drums and overall sounds, any advice or tips how to achieve it?
few examples in here:
https://www.juno.co.uk/products/charles ... I1Ggms7rQM
youtu.be/-pGvRLFf08c
I think it's hard saturation, however everytime i'm pushing to it i can't achieve similar sound it seems like something is missing, any advice or tips would be really appreciated.
Cheers ;)

acesd619
Gnasher
Re: Lofi drums/sounds

Post by acesd619 »

D16 Decimort

psicomagia
Alf Garnett

Post by psicomagia »

KClip 3 has some really good modes that you chould achieve this in the mixes. From subtle mastering clipping mode (soft or hard, you get a knob to control that) to germanium diode to tape and tube sat. U-he Satin is really nice as well. On the hardware domain I'm using the Analog Heat in Saturation mode, along with it's envelope follower and in-built filter and eq. It is very satisfying IMO.

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Are you completely ITB or using hardware/hybrid setup?
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

There is saturation and then bitcrushing. Bitcrushing is what comes to mind with lo-fi/old school. I think some DAW's have this built in as a module but that D16 is a beast.

https://www.attackmagazine.com/techniqu ... e-samplers

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:34 am
Are you completely ITB or using hardware/hybrid setup?
In the box, i’m Trying to achieve that sound with livestock plugins, but it seems i need to spend some cash on vsts

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

juodas wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:34 am
In the box, i’m Trying to achieve that sound with livestock plugins, but it seems i need to spend some cash on vsts
Doesn't Live come with something called Redux? Might be worth trying in a processing chain. Anyway, thanks for inspiring my next project!

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

I,m using redux but it’s doesnt sound good enough or i’d Just need to play more around with it, but I think I know what I need to do now.
Goodluck with your project!
Last edited by juodas on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

cant listen..

but you can get interesting textures& results by pitching up sounds by an octave.. applying fx, resample. then return to normal pitch. works 'best'; depending on how subtle you want it.. around/ between +2 to +5ish. experiment.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

To my ears I reckon a lot of "lofi house" producers just make a basic tune and saturate/compress the hell out of the 2bus, shelf off the high end then slam it into a limiter which ends up sounding like poopoo. I've been experimenting with dirtying up drums and doing something along these lines has worked out pretty well for me:
  • SoundToys Radiator on the "noisy" setting and parallel Devil-Loc to get the drum bus pumping and breaking up.
  • Mix and bounce loops with reverb.
  • Tal Sampler for a touch of jitter and some bit-reduction
  • Record it onto cassette on my 4 track Tascam - EQ/drive there a bit then record back into Logic from tape at a higher pitch and tempo.
  • Pitch and slow it back down again on the computer - kinda draws out all the artifacts of the tape a bit more and gives it a warble thanks to the grim 10 year old cassette.
  • EQ and mix/compress with the pre-Soundtoys original to bring back some sparkle and punch.
  • Resample and subtly EQ into a saturation plugin like Decapitator.
  • Very important - stand up and have a little dance to dutty new drums. :lol:

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

HowieRis wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:35 am
To my ears I reckon a lot of "lofi house" producers just make a basic tune and saturate/compress the hell out of the 2bus, shelf off the high end then slam it into a limiter which ends up sounding like poopoo. I've been experimenting with dirtying up drums and doing something along these lines has worked out pretty well for me:
  • SoundToys Radiator on the "noisy" setting and parallel Devil-Loc to get the drum bus pumping and breaking up.
  • Mix and bounce loops with reverb.
  • Tal Sampler for a touch of jitter and some bit-reduction
  • Record it onto cassette on my 4 track Tascam - EQ/drive there a bit then record back into Logic from tape at a higher pitch and tempo.
  • Pitch and slow it back down again on the computer - kinda draws out all the artifacts of the tape a bit more and gives it a warble thanks to the grim 10 year old cassette.
  • EQ and mix/compress with the pre-Soundtoys original to bring back some sparkle and punch.
  • Resample and subtly EQ into a saturation plugin like Decapitator.
  • Very important - stand up and have a little dance to dutty new drums. :lol:
Oh my that’s really long process, to much hassle :D, however I agree with a last point it’s a most important thing to do :D

museumoftechno
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by museumoftechno »

Loving the idea of recording audio to tape, speeding it up, resampling then slowing down.... also recording audio, pitching up, resampling then pitching back down.

@juodas, I was wondering if there might be a minimalist version of that workflow... recording EG your drum buss through a bit of glue compression, gentle saturation and redux... then pitching that up an octave (repitch warp mode?), resampling again and then pitching down, and seeing what you get? Maybe an approach like that might get you something worth mixing in with the original audio? I know it's still a process, but you might be able to streamline it a bit by having Effects Rack presets with your lofi effects, and... maybe saving clips for the track parameters?

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Yes I was exactly what I was thinking an give an go when I’m at home, stuck in job now...

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

juodas wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:51 am
Oh my that’s really long process, to much hassle :D, however I agree with a last point it’s a most important thing to do :D
museumoftechno wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:25 pm
Loving the idea of recording audio to tape, speeding it up, resampling then slowing down.... also recording audio, pitching up, resampling then pitching back down.

@juodas, I was wondering if there might be a minimalist version of that workflow... recording EG your drum buss through a bit of glue compression, gentle saturation and redux... then pitching that up an octave (repitch warp mode?), resampling again and then pitching down, and seeing what you get? Maybe an approach like that might get you something worth mixing in with the original audio? I know it's still a process, but you might be able to streamline it a bit by having Effects Rack presets with your lofi effects, and... maybe saving clips for the track parameters?
Yeah to be honest I mask my lack of genuine musical talent with long winded processes that make me sound clever :lol:

@museumoftechno 100% you'd absolutely get good results like that and my method could easily suck all the joy out of a session but I myself find multiple stages of more subtle saturation and compression especially with the tape resampling = more vibey "lofiness".

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

i recently recorded 30 + kicks onto 4 track cassette.. then back into live.

Doing this will take away some of the lows as well as the hi treble stuff. you can boost the highs a bit going in to the machine if you like.. but found some nice sounds from them. no point boosting lows too much as it could distort like a big muff :)

not sure about recording anything too long.. like a loop etc.. as you need to be confident about your machines motor & belts. unless you want it wobbly.

you can always record the hiss & layer it over a 'daw' track or sample. MPC hip hop trick there for y'all.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I wouldn`t go to bit reduction as my go to for the type of sound linked.
Especially the video linked in post one.
This kind of "vintage" sound is trying to mimic very early house that`s run from tape to master.
What they`ve done, at least in that video, is sort of emulate tape, either with a not too good plugin, or just separate EQ, but the top end is rolled off, a characteristic of a machine that`s needs calibration, I think they`ve overdone it, and it sounds a little unnatural, however, listen to the kick, there`s bags of punch bot the initial snap of the transient is well rounded (and again, sloped off on the EQ). That`s very much a tape-like characteristic.
There`s also some indication of breakup and signal degradation in general, so saturation and analog clipping would do here.
You could possibly bit reduce the claps and stuff down to 8 bit, but I would forgo bit reduction for something like RX950 which emulates an old akai 950 converter, rather than just any old random bit reduction.
There`s also
112db Morgana which loosely emulates the converters and path of an old Mirage
TAL sampler and TAL DAC which emulate the eccentricities of a selectable number of samplers.

It`s more to do with preamps/DAC`s combined with bit and rate reduction.
Then tape emulation, maybe desk style overdrive (SDRR is good for this)

Then it`s about less precise EQing (and that will require a much more musical choice of sounds).
think 3 band para or fixed baxandall, hi pass and low pass rollofs. Keep the EQ very simple.
If you have no signal noise you might want to add some to some channels, there are plugins you can use, or maybe just download various types of signal noise and run em as loops (but use some sidechain compression on them so that they remain dynamic to something in the mix so it`s moves more naturally)

Then slam it all through a compressor hehe
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:46 pm
You could possibly bit reduce the claps and stuff down to 8 bit, but I would forgo bit reduction for something like RX950 which emulates an old akai 950 converter, rather than just any old random bit reduction.
Funny story. I once participated in a song challenge in which everything had to be processed with that RX950. My experience wasn't that great. I had too much going on in the mix for that kind of processing which resulted in an unpleasant mess. Needless to say I wasn't convinced to need more than that SP1200 preset in Decimort along with everything else it does. I don't lean towards a particular sound though anyways. I would say it's worth a try and the potential is definitely there.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Probably used RC20 by xln audio
No Bass Lines For Me!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

OHADOHAD wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:11 pm
Probably used RC20 by xln audio
heh, but that thing has such a definite sonic stamp, I don`t think it is.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

acesd619 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:46 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:46 pm
Funny story. I once participated in a song challenge in which everything had to be processed with that RX950. My experience wasn't that great. I had too much going on in the mix for that kind of processing which resulted in an unpleasant mess. Needless to say I wasn't convinced to need more than that SP1200 preset in Decimort along with everything else it does. I don't lean towards a particular sound though anyways. I would say it's worth a try and the potential is definitely there.

No reason why too much in the mix would be a problem with this plugin if you use it right and EQ well.
New Shit