Anyone done a mixdown on a club rig?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Cloaked
hunger marcher
Anyone done a mixdown on a club rig?

Post by Cloaked »

So I always wanted to rent a big rig to test my tunes out, but then I realised I have access to a decent system where I work. Not massive but a small function one setup I think.

I'm considering taking stems in and doing a mixdown. Anyone ever done this? Of course you will lose details, but for club tunes surely this is the holy grail?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Anyone done a mixdown on a club rig?

Post by Lost to the Void »

I occasionally test my stuff out on the rig in the warehouse (test pressings generally).

It's only ever a test, never do my mixing or mastering on it, because unless it's a very very hi fidelity soundsystem setup in absolutely perfect circumstances, it's just not a reliable reference.
So generally, not a good idea.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:08 pm
I occasionally test my stuff out on the rig in the warehouse (test pressings generally).

It's only ever a test, never do my mixing or mastering on it, because unless it's a very very hi fidelity soundsystem setup in absolutely perfect circumstances, it's just not a reliable reference.
Would you ever go back and alter a mix based on what you heard in such a test?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:31 am
Lost to the Void wrote:

Sometimes, I do a lot of weird and not recommended things with my low end, so sometimes it`s good to see how that works at high high volume, but if I do end up making a change it will tend to be fine tuning, and it always needs to sound good primarily in the mastering room over anything.

So I am more likely to take a mix in to the mastering room for a reference, than on to a rig.

It`s good to get an idea, if you can, to check physical impact on a rig or large system.
New Shit

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

good advice. i wonder though how a full mixdown would come out when done on a rig. it might sound rubbish on other systems, but for club tunes, who cares? it'd be a ballsy move to not give a shit about home listening at all.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Cloaked wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:15 am
good advice. i wonder though how a full mixdown would come out when done on a rig. it might sound rubbish on other systems, but for club tunes, who cares? it'd be a ballsy move to not give a shit about home listening at all.
But club systems vary immensly even with each other depending on the setup and the size/shape of the room. When you play music that loud in a big space you are dealing with huge acoustic idiosyncracies. It might sound good on that rig in that room but garbage on others. Would you do a mix with the monitors cranked in a weird room and no treatment? That's bascially what a mix on a club rig would be like.
Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:03 am
dubdub wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:31 am
Lost to the Void wrote:

It`s good to get an idea, if you can, to check physical impact on a rig or large system.
I wonder if a subpac can at least somewhat adequately fill that role? (never used one). Although you are obviously dealing with an idealized bass response, rather than a real world one which has to deal with all sorts of acoustics.
Last edited by dubdub on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

I don''t see the point to that. Surely if the mix sounds good for home listening, it's gonna be close enough to sound great through any club system (and at home or in a mix) than the little bit you gain from gearing the mix to suit a specific rig...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Cloaked wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:15 am
It would be as unreliably good or bad as mixing it on any other non reference system.
You could mix on your car stereo too.

To answer your question of how a full mix done on a rig would come out, the answer is, depends on the sound system, how it is set up, the room it is in etc.

Home listening is irrelevant, as a non reference system it could mean that mixdown would sound shit everywhere but that one club system you mixed it on.

This is why we use reference monitors in production and mastering.
New Shit

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

Ehhhhh, I would use it as reference, but not as the truth. Each club has a different setup.

lauren
Pig

Post by lauren »

I think it doesn't matter on the size of the rig or whatever, it's about learning how sound changes in different environments and using that information to achieve the best mix.

that said, feels fucking great to pound out your own stuff on hench systems