New BBD delay plugin

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
New BBD delay plugin

Post by dubdub »

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7#p7015737

Just as heads up for anyone in love with that sweet BBD sound. It's fairly cheap (30 bucks intro price) and sounds very warm and analog. Compared to Dubstation the delay circuit sounds more lo-fi with audible distortion and seriously cut off highs, although feedback is a bit more gentle and doesn't really go into total overdrive. However max feedback provides a fairly nice crunch.

Even as a delay maniac I'm somewhat picky with delays so I don't end up with a million but I might pick this one up, even though the emulation is a bit limited (adjustable amount of noise and LFO depth would be nice).

The_G
Artificial Hazard
Re: New BBD delay plugin

Post by The_G »

Going to try this out today. Love BBD delays.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Hmm...on first try, don't love it. But maybe it just needs some coaxing.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Well, this kind of stuff is always highly subjective, isn't it.

112db also did a BBD delay recently, which I thought was nice but I preffered Dubstation over it - https://www.112db.com/mikron/delay/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Between dub delay and echo boy everything is covered. Would be nice if some more zany delays like filterscape appeared.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I don't know about 'everything is covered'. This thing has a tone that is different from Echoboy and Dubstation. I will admit that it's not a huge difference though, you have to be a bit of delay fetishist for it to matter. Everyone has their little obsessive thing, for me 3-4 compressors are more than enough, other people will hoard dozens of them ;) Btw, the developer just added self oscilliation to this plugin.

You mean MFM2 instead of Filterscape, right? There's a decent amount of more recent delays that do more zany stuff. The Unfiltered Audio stuff does more crazy delays very well. There's also the new UltraTap from Eventide. Tekturon from D16 and Objeq Delay from AAS. UVI Relayer.

What is missing IMO is more vintage digital modelled delays. Apart from PSP 42 and Soundtoys Primaltap there's not all that much. UAD just did a Korg SDD-3000 plugin but it's UAD only, meh. I really want someone to do the AMS DMX.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Echoboy has about 20 something different tones based on the various emulations. It takes ages to explore the differences in the way the saturation network works, especially with all the separate decay and eq settings. It`s mind blowing when you dig in.

I love delays, probably my 2nd fave effect, but most of the software ones are kinda poop, or I just eliminated them when I got echoboy.
Softubes valve delay is kinda nice, but ultimately I don`t find it useful.

No I mean filterscape, it`s got delays in it and you can get crazy crazy delay loops getting them to interact with the morphic EQ filter and step panning etc.

There was another kinda dirty delay released recently and I`ll be fucked if I can remember who released it, it was in my news feed and I meant to check it out
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Oh have you tried Echotaps from SKNote?
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

This is supposed to be good as well

youtu.be/y9lL-Hj2ap0
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Yeah, I have Echoboy and yes, it's incredible flexible but it still doesn't do everything, there's a certain kind of basic tone to it, it always sounds like Echoboy, especially the feedback. Many of the emulations aren't even that accurate. It still sounds great, mind you but it if you want something that really sounds like a tape echo or a BBD instead of just 'kinda analog' you need other plugins.

I did buy the Dub Machines thing but I currently don't use it. I prefer Audiothing Outerspace, the feedback on that thing is just spot on, best in software land IMO as far as tape delay goes. Also has a great gritty preamp emulation that reacts dynamically. The closest thing to a real 201 as far as plugins go.

By 'another kinda dirty delay' maybe you mean the Audiority Echoes thing (Binson emulation)? It sounds nice, very smooth. A bit CPU heavy though and it sums to mono. The dev is thinking about adding so panning options to the different heads though.

I did see the Sknote thing but it's still in Beta I believe. There's no demo as usual with Sknote and I haven't read any reviews online so I'm not sure if it's even any good.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

SKNote hasn`t done anything bad yet, so I imagine it is pretty good, I just buy his new shit when it comes out, not got this yet though.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Ah yeah, Audiothing, didn`t like that, transients were way too snappy for a tape emulation, I thought it was too digital in that respect, it just sounds like there is a low pass closing over rather than the transients smearing out. I did like the feedback though.
I don`t think many people have done tape delays that actually sound like tape, only an approximation. but then there aren`t many tape emulations that sound like tape either.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Audority yeah that was the one.

Wow, sounds really good based on the audio on the page, not surprised it`s a cpu hog
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I see what you mean with the Audiothing one, I kinda like that though since I tend to really smear my transients already lol. They did an update where you can EQ the feedback circuit seperately and add pre-emphasis and ducking. That way you can make it sound much more like a usual worn-out Space Echo, the one he modelled the defaults after was in rather pristine condition.

The Audiority one definitely nails the transient smearing, it makes everything sound super smooth. CPU hog is relative, on my i5 one instances of the Audiority Echoes takes about 8%.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah I think I'm gonna buy it.
I d a lot.of.resampling by delays.
Run percussion through a delay on 100% mix and resample it with the transients smeared out.
New Shit

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

Brainworx also has a new delay not cheap

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... y2500.html

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

ekwipt wrote:Brainworx also has a new delay not cheap

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... y2500.html
Yeah, amazing too.
transient shaping inside the delay, awesome..

There`s more than enough delays out there, could do with some decent spring reverbs, there`s not many out there.
New Shit

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

On the delay vibe, I used to REALLY love the delay designer in Logic. Is there anything out there that is akin to it?

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Lost to the Void wrote:Audority yeah that was the one.

Wow, sounds really good based on the audio on the page, not surprised it`s a cpu hog

I got Echoes on intro and been using it all the time since. It is a cpu hog but worth it for the sound, very unique.

I agree with you dubdub on the vintage digital delays. I also love the audiothing outerspace as well it's a great plugin and with the back panel it can sound a lot dirtier.

I demoed this bbd and did like it but not going to get it, I have my delays covered and would rather explore what I have for now! The thing I like most about this is the chorusing effect with a fast delay time and the lfo engaged.

I'm using the audiority one, outerspace and Tal Dub X which is probably my favourite of the bunch as it's so quick to use and uses barely any cpu. Well worth checking out the TAL out.

As to the sknote I will try that out when the vst is dropped as I love sknote stuff and it looks like it can do a whole bunch of weird delay effects.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I've been looking for a BBD that's a bit dirtier so it feels a need for me. I also really like the stereo mode. Even if I don't end up using it long-term, at only 25 euros it's not that big of a deal.