GENELEC 1031a VS ATC SCM20 asl.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
aledotm
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!
GENELEC 1031a VS ATC SCM20 asl.

Post by aledotm »

Hello guys.

So, I'll get straight to the point. I found a good deal for both Genelec 1031a and ATC SCM20 asl (the first grey model).
I tried them both at the shop today and the Genelecs (I was actually looking for a pair of them) sounds good overall, nice low end good low mids, harsh highs. Not so crazy about the 2khz area. Then the guys of the shop turned on the ATCs and...damn the mids were sitting right in front of me and i could spot literally every single element in the mix. The problem are the low frequencies in my opinion, not so crazy about them, they don't seem to get as deep as the Genelecs. Has any of you had previous experience with those monitors? Would be great to have a general feedback.

Thank you so much in advance,

A.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Re: GENELEC 1031a VS ATC SCM20 asl.

Post by msl »

ATC over Genelec any day of the week for me. The 1031's are quite old at this point also. The newer bigger Genelecs with dsp are pretty nice, but there is something I just don't like about the Genelec sound in general.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah.
ATC do it right, big fuck off overpowered Class A/B Fet amps in their nearfields, closed box, super tight in the time domain, very accurate mid range.
Slim on bass, but nearfields aren`t supposed to be bass monsters anyway.
Fidelity wins over frequency range in nearfield land.
Not a fan of their big ass monitors for mastering, but their nearfields are bang on top class.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

aledotm
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by aledotm »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I bought the ATCs in the end. :) Tremendous speakers. Really had no doubt after hearing them the day after with fresh ears. Yes the new Genelecs aren't bad specially the ones with room correction system, but I'm really not so crazy about the mid highs.
Fidelity wins over frequency range in nearfield land.
Couldn't agree more on this.
Thanks again!!