What is some currently interesting/innovative hardware?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
td3l
reverse genius
What is some currently interesting/innovative hardware?

Post by td3l »

So many damn reissues these days. These are all well and good, but what are some pieces from the last 5 years or so that actually break new ground and can't be sufficiently substituted by software? Synths, drum machines, whatever.

(No Eurorack -- that's its own separate beast)

Makenoise 0-coast is on the shortlist, I think. What are yours?

xonetacular
Gnasher
Re: What is some currently interesting/innovative hardware?

Post by xonetacular »

ob6/p6 are pretty great. Not so much new ground, but they are unique in that they offer a sound you could only get before buying much more expensive and temperamental vintage synths while still being their own thing.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

xonetacular wrote:ob6/p6 are pretty great. Not so much new ground, but they are unique in that they offer a sound you could only get before buying much more expensive and temperamental vintage synths while still being their own thing.
Those do look/sound real nice, but they're overpriced for what they are IMO. At $3k you're well into vintage poly territory: Jupiter 6, all Junos, P600, etc are all within reach. OB6/P6 should cost $2k max. DSI is just banking on the nostalgia factors.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Deepmind 12 is pretty interesting modernisation based around the 106.
Maxibrute is insane mono, the possibilities with it are incredible.
Both new Dredbox, the Abyss and NYX have some very interesting features.
Gotharman anamono X is a crazy analog with interchangable filters.
The minilogue has quite a unique sound and features, not exactly new ground but new features, and a modern classic.
Novation peak is a nice hybrid synth.

Actually there is a bunch of stuff out there.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

td3l wrote:
xonetacular wrote:ob6/p6 are pretty great. Not so much new ground, but they are unique in that they offer a sound you could only get before buying much more expensive and temperamental vintage synths while still being their own thing.
Those do look/sound real nice, but they're overpriced for what they are IMO. At $3k you're well into vintage poly territory: Jupiter 6, all Junos, P600, etc are all within reach. OB6/P6 should cost $2k max. DSI is just banking on the nostalgia factors.

I paid around $1800 for a new ob6 desktop, you can find deals. I wouldn't pay 3k but I don't want a keyboard version anyway.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

the e02 got me looking at the other studio electronics stuff, and the boomstar 4075 looks/sounds really good with a big range. just seems expensive at retail but ill look out for a used one.

youtu.be/teOEVET4Zwk

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Lost to the Void wrote:Deepmind 12 is pretty interesting modernisation based around the 106.
Maxibrute is insane mono, the possibilities with it are incredible.
Both new Dredbox, the Abyss and NYX have some very interesting features.
Gotharman anamono X is a crazy analog with interchangable filters.
The minilogue has quite a unique sound and features, not exactly new ground but new features, and a modern classic.
Novation peak is a nice hybrid synth.

Actually there is a bunch of stuff out there.
Anamono X looks real interesting, and I like the look of all the Dredbox stuff for their price range. The Deepmind and Novation stuff though, I have a hard time feeling like I couldn't just get most of the same results in Dune 2. Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit?

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

xonetacular wrote:the e02 got me looking at the other studio electronics stuff, and the boomstar 4075 looks/sounds really good with a big range. just seems expensive at retail but ill look out for a used one.

youtu.be/teOEVET4Zwk
Boomstars look and sound great, but they're more vanilla than what I'm looking for ;)

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Btw, I realize I'm being picky. I'm not knocking any available instruments, I'm just curious where the cutting edge sits these days. I would love to look at something and say "shit yes I need that" rather than "eh, I can cover most of that ground in software already."

SixOfOne
non reader

Post by SixOfOne »

Makenoise 0-coast is Eurorack!

I don't think there is any hardware that you couldn't substitute with software these days, in terms of features anyway. Just depends on how good you are at programming a vst to do what you want. Or if you want to replicate something really obscure you have MaxMSP.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

It's not technically eurorack but it's basically a eurorack module in a standalone box. you could take a number of modules and put them in a mini skiff- it's not that special in comparison. I really don't like anything make noise though.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

td3l wrote:Btw, I realize I'm being picky. I'm not knocking any available instruments, I'm just curious where the cutting edge sits these days. I would love to look at something and say "shit yes I need that" rather than "eh, I can cover most of that ground in software already."
Well, anything where proper knobs and buttons adds to the fun then?

I'd probably be inclined to pick up any of the synths mentioned in this thread and then an interesting selection of hardware fx. That should be enough to get into the ballpark of interesting / innovative...

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

SixOfOne wrote:Makenoise 0-coast is Eurorack!
0-coast is as Eurorack as my Dominion 1. It's a complete standalone synth with Euro-capabilities. Nothing more nothing less.

Nice topic as I was on the hunt for a while for a synth to complete my OTB set-up. Currently I have the Analog Rytm, Octatrack and the MFB Dominion 1 and I'm very happy with these devices so far. So all I needed was either something more "out there" stuff or a nice poly to complete all my needs.

My best mate works for Ableton and they got shitloads of synths at their office. Occasionally I pick him up from the office for a pint and I can play around with all the gear.

I tested loads of stuff the past months. Lots of Dreadbox stuff like Abyss and NYX. Nice synths for sure but the Abyss, to me it's the poly version of the Mother 32. A one trick pony with a VERY sweet sounding trick. But for that money I just want more flexibility and more possibilities.

Tried the 0-coast but didn't like it at all plus the build quality is crap.

NYX is cool but I can do most of these sounds with the Dominion 1 feed into the Octatrack for additional filtering and a nice Reverb already. So it was a pretty disappointing hunt.

Then I tried the Novation Peak and I nearly pulled the trigger and bought it. I really don't know why I don't bought it in the end because it's a fuckin nice poly with lots of possibilities and a nice sound but my gut said no.

After playing around for a week I decided to buy a Modor NF-1. Nice Digital poly with VA,FM,Additive synthesis, very good sounding FX and the 2 filters are very nice. A multimode filter plus a vowel filter which you can run in parallel or in series. I got some really nice otherworldly and digital sounding pads out of this box. Sounds I weren't able to create on other synths. 8 voices polyphonic is enough for me as well so this exactly what I was looking for.

I don't know if it's that innovative but from all synths I tried properly over the last month's, this was the most interesting by a far mile.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

I'm gonna get a DSI mopho in a few days cos the only bad thing I was able to read on the net was the knobs and the low possibilities that the hardware has.

I don't care cos I only use the PC so.... gonna use that soundtower editor like a vst but with that DSI sound 8-)
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I think you are bypassing the stuff both the NYX and the Abyss can do that are quite unique to them.
The individual glides for example, on the NYX,, can't be done with the Dominion.
Both those devices have some quite unique features hidden away, of course they sound great out of the box, but they do have some clever tricks up their sleeves.
They are a bit pricey but the sound quality of them is so fucking good. I don't think anyone is making oscillators that sound as good in the price range.

Those modor things are kinda interesting though, seen a few going cheap used but something keeps stopping me from buying, they have a nice sound.
Nothing you can't do in software of course, but they are quite nice.

Bastl do a granular sampler that's pretty interesting.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

sergiobR1 wrote:I'm gonna get a DSI mopho in a few days cos the only bad thing I was able to read on the net was the knobs and the low possibilities that the hardware has.

I don't care cos I only use the PC so.... gonna use that soundtower editor like a vst but with that DSI sound 8-)
The mopho is meh in all departments really. Useless noblesse hardware, kinda boring sound, much better out there for the money.
New Shit

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
sergiobR1 wrote:I'm gonna get a DSI mopho in a few days cos the only bad thing I was able to read on the net was the knobs and the low possibilities that the hardware has.

The mopho is meh in all departments really. Useless noblesse hardware, kinda boring sound, much better out there for the money.

hmmmm I want a monophonic synth. Could you recommend me something for that price ? monologue ? minitaur ?
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

SixOfOne
non reader

Post by SixOfOne »

Mono-xID wrote:0-coast is as Eurorack as my Dominion 1. It's a complete standalone synth with Euro-capabilities. Nothing more nothing less.
It's a collection of Makenoise modules grouped together in a desktop box. Also happens to be easily mounted into a eurorack case. I didn't know the Dominion 1 could be mounted as easily

youtu.be/eRAterQB2us

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

SixOfOne wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:0-coast is as Eurorack as my Dominion 1. It's a complete standalone synth with Euro-capabilities. Nothing more nothing less.
It's a collection of Makenoise modules grouped together in a desktop box. Also happens to be easily mounted into a eurorack case. I didn't know the Dominion 1 could be mounted as easily

youtu.be/eRAterQB2us
Mother 32 can also be mounted in Eurorack. That doesn't make it a Eurorack module though. 0-coast has patch/CV capabilities but it is also not a module--it is a standalone single voice synth.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Modor looks cool. Kind of like a Blofeld on steroids and with more knobs. Really dig the inclusion of a format filter too.