Randomer on his kick drum making process

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
THX_1138
BAD
Randomer on his kick drum making process

Post by THX_1138 »

youtu.be/4_rrfFToc-0

Interesting - I'm sure this is something that has been asked about a fair bit online.

The thing that struck me about this is the use of youtube samples (and pretty lo res ones at that), to construct the meat and spuds of a track.

Mastering engineers - how do you feel about this? This seems to be something that's constantly labelled a big nono, but it doesn't seem to be a hindrance to him.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Randomer on his kick drum making process

Post by Mattias »

Using recorded random sounds put in samplers and mess around to create kicks? Love that stuff.
This doesn't create any specific issues in mastering. Why would it be considered a big no? Never heard of that before. Most everything works if you know what you're doing.

Happy creating!
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

THX_1138
BAD

Post by THX_1138 »

Well that's good

I suppose it's cropped up a lot over years of reading music forums, and more recently I've been starting to produce Hip Hop beats and the whole 'e-digging' thing is a real bugbear of some people. A lot of people seem to argue that samples sourced from youtube are never going to sound good.

I guess it depends on what you do with them...

In thought it might cause issues working with stuff where certain elements of a track have been sourced from youtube, but maybe once they have been through mangling sound design processes, it no longer really matters.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

IF it works it works, the end result is what matters, no reason why this would be an issue for mastering.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

THX_1138 wrote:Well that's good

I suppose it's cropped up a lot over years of reading music forums, and more recently I've been starting to produce Hip Hop beats and the whole 'e-digging' thing is a real bugbear of some people. A lot of people seem to argue that samples sourced from youtube are never going to sound good.

I guess it depends on what you do with them...

In thought it might cause issues working with stuff where certain elements of a track have been sourced from youtube, but maybe once they have been through mangling sound design processes, it no longer really matters.
Youtube is a great resource for all sorts of stuff, I guess what most people think of when you mention sampling off Youtube, is some drumbreak off a Youtube clip or some musical intro or whatever and then using that sample as a front end piece in your own tune. You not gonna want transient smeared drums or wishy-washy hats if you want to use it as the main drum element in a mix when alternatively, sourcing the same break from vinyl or CD is going to give you the best possible sound. It's probably along that sort of line people tend to say these things, but then your best bet is to ignore anything that you read other people say in regard to that sort of thing and let yourself be the judge.

Anyway, the die - hard crate diggers are probably knocking people sampling from Youtube instead of going out 'digging' and build up extensive vinly collections because their one-time golden resource is now suddenly accessible by anyone with an Internet connection and audio recording capability. :lol:

I really like using samplers and I'm into the character of some of the older ones as well but in terms of food for them, anything is fair game. Throw it in, see what happens, harmonically rich source sounds have plenty of spectal information to carve away at.

Any Kontakt users here?

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Thanks for this.

I'm now at a stage in my production I could see myself experimenting and literally thinking out of the box

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

Interesting approach. I tried his technique and got something pretty similar using a sample of John Cleese banging a parrot on a countertop... Bottom end's a mess though. He didn't mention anything about layering with a more meatier kick did he?

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Den Bosch wrote:Interesting approach. I tried his technique and got something pretty similar using a sample of John Cleese banging a parrot on a countertop... Bottom end's a mess though. He didn't mention anything about layering with a more meatier kick did he?
Haha.

Well just try to add a 808 kick beneath your sample and send them both to a bus and compress / saturate them a bit together.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

Den Bosch wrote:Interesting approach. I tried his technique and got something pretty similar using a sample of John Cleese banging a parrot on a countertop... Bottom end's a mess though. He didn't mention anything about layering with a more meatier kick did he?
:lol:

make it some super fat, in ya chest punchy thing or that parrot will have died in vein. R.I.P Fawlty Towers

His sample had transients, he edged in on the sample start time to get to the one he wanted. I guess if you wanted to try that, just sample a lot of noisy thing which come in suddenly, you'd soon get to know what will work better than others. He liked what he wanted to a Bowling ball hitting the alley, so you got the crack and the noise & rumble/decay. Horror flicks, by their very nature emply scare tactics with sudden loud transient info, it's normally some sort of tom type sound with a discordant note cluster but for smacking transient info? who knows?.

At the moment, I have GAS for some sort of pro recording device as I think what Lost To The Void said is bang on the money. I wanna get one and start fuckin up my neighbours wheelie bins and all sorts. 8-)

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Apologies.. didn't look at the video link at the start of the thread. Thought it was the old machinelove RA vids. Was going to post it as I just saw it flashing up on my YT feed.

Cool, thanks for posting. Badass walkthrough there. Really enjoyed looking at it.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Interesting video, nice recommendation :)

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Thanks for the post THX_1138 . Being in a bit of a creative lull at the moment, it's nice to see something interesting to help get things going again.