Those low Porc ?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Re: Those low Porc ?

Post by over9000 »

thx for the inputs on the field rec topic. ive been thinking about this for some time, and i would really like to learn to use found sounds. as iam outside alot, i think it would be fun to go sound hunting somewhere in the woods or the city!
anyway i have a question, what would be a good field recorder with a limiter to record from a dj mixer also? i looked at the tascam dr40 and it has xlr input and a limiter, which is what i need then i guess? does anyone have experience recording from a device/mixer into the field rec?
shouldent be that difficult, but i prefer to ask before i spend the money.

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

Lost to the Void wrote:Best kick drums I have made were me hitting an empty dumpster with a knobkerrie (a Zulu club weapon I take with me when on recording expeditions) down an alley between high buildings.
The reverb and the boom are awesome. Pitched down and compressed its a club ruiner.

Fridge doors are great too.
Stick your recorder inside the fridge and slam it. You get a lovely dry "whump".
Sounds friggin awesome, if it wasn't for the missus's birthday next week I think I'd have to get something now. I know nothing about what to expect at all yet but already I have been fantasizing and imagining ideas, specifically, some sort of 'beater' drum-stick. I'd imagine you can get some variations on a hit using different objects although I'd probably get arrested walking round with a zulu club weapon. :lol:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Well the zulu club is a historical object, so you can walk around freely with it.
I always keep it hanging next to my front door (you never know right?).
Sometimes I stick a thick sock over the end to take so e of the harshness of the hit away.

It's worth investing in some drum beaters. Get some rubber ball ended ones and some larger felt ball covered tympany drum style beaters.

Saw a broom stick into 1\3 for something with nice weight and heft too.

There is so much useful stuff in your house alone to record, but I like to go out on sound gathering days to different parts of the city and find stuff to hit.

At home.

Oven racks, grill racks.
Oven doors.
Radiators.
Chopping board.
Pots, pans etc.
Sharpen knives.
Shake cutlery.
Washing machine drum.
Washing machine, dishwasher etc when running.
Bannister's, hand rail.
Creaky door hinges.
Vacuum cleaner. Sucking end, blowy end, motor housing.
Creaky door knobs (when turned)
Knock on doors with various weight objects.
Shower when running.
Bath.
Splashing and dropping things in to bath.
Sandpaper on things will give you the best natural shakers ever. Make your own rythms and record them as you play whatever it is you sand.

Build a drum kit out of odd objects and play some beats (if you can)

Then go to the tool shed and marvel at the world of sound generating wonders you have in there.

Resampled, granulisers, reprocess etc.
Load as wavetable or whatever.

Sampling is one of the most fun forms of synthesis.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

I guess anythings fair game, - at least until I get an idea of what generally works. Gonna come back to visit this thread once I come to buying something, thanks for tips and insight. :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Once you get in to contact mics, things you think will sound great will be boring, things you think will be lame end up amazing. It's fairly unpredictable.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.