How to use your TR-8 as a great midi controller

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Andre_Crom
rescued
How to use your TR-8 as a great midi controller

Post by Andre_Crom »

Hey,

half of you probably know this, but i did not until a friend just told me about it and i love it:

the TR-8 makes a really nice midi controller for your sampled drums. Much more fun and intuitive than using your mouse, or even a Beatstep Pro (which i used for this before some times)

Here's how:

1. connect the TR-8 with a USB cable to your computer
2. in Ableton, go to Midi preferences and activate "track" and "remote" inputs
3. open for example the ableton drumrack (many drumracks have the sounds (kick, snare, clap...) pre configured, as the corresponding pads are named on the TR-8, so that you automatically have the "right" sounds on the incoming notes. Same with Drumazon, and many other drum samplers or synthesizers). This, for me, is a huge advantage over e.g. the Beatstep pro or a generic midi pad controller.
4. incase you want to use your own libraries, and for example have a selection of 20 hi hats in one sampler which you quickly want to skip through: you can have the TR8 triggering the same note, but have your sampler play a lower or higher one, by using an ableton pitch device, and just hitting the up/down arrow on it).

Hope this helps, Have fun!

A.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: How to use your TR-8 as a great midi controller

Post by Críoch »

Yeah.. incredible layout. It's a great controller.

Pity about the outs / pattern chaining though lol - expensive controller :( :lol:

I miss the 909 sounds from mine.. but the boutique is too small & restricted with it's 2 outs.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

I know this video:

youtu.be/ztJ1vl1EM-U

dynamic
BAD

Post by dynamic »

I know this video... In the description there's a link for an Ableton Live device to use it as you mentioned :mrgreen:

youtu.be/n-fivo8aoNA