Headphone Amp question

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
NAO
Suspect Handshake
Re: Headphone Amp question

Post by NAO »

I'm using the Apogee Groove with my AKG 712's. It ticks the light and portable box..

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/groove
winston wrote:good recommendations here. i am also looking for a portable headphone amp for akg 702s, which are just way too quiet coming from laptop. i need something light and portable as i'm living from a suitcase. checking out the ideas from this thread.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

Recommending again the behringer monitor2usb. Paid $135 new and sounds just as good as the $800 SPL and has a nice integrated interface. One of the instances where they got things right and I have no problem having behringer in my chain.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

NAO wrote:I'm using the Apogee Groove with my AKG 712's. It ticks the light and portable box..

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/groove
winston wrote:good recommendations here. i am also looking for a portable headphone amp for akg 702s, which are just way too quiet coming from laptop. i need something light and portable as i'm living from a suitcase. checking out the ideas from this thread.
that looks about the right size and has decent comments about it online. i'll see if i can get that somewhere, thanks for the tip.

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

xonetacular wrote:Recommending again the behringer monitor2usb. Paid $135 new and sounds just as good as the $800 SPL and has a nice integrated interface. One of the instances where they got things right and I have no problem having behringer in my chain.
I did check that out on your first post just didn't reply. I've not heard of this one before, will certainly consider it and check it out of I can, thanks. Also no problem with whatever brand in the chain as long as it's doing the right thing.

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

CRDM wrote:
xonetacular wrote:Recommending again the behringer monitor2usb. Paid $135 new and sounds just as good as the $800 SPL and has a nice integrated interface. One of the instances where they got things right and I have no problem having behringer in my chain.
I did check that out on your first post just didn't reply. I've not heard of this one before, will certainly consider it and check it out of I can, thanks. Also no problem with whatever brand in the chain as long as it's doing the right thing.
Just having a read about and this one sounds very good from what your saying and it's got good reviews everywhere. So it's their version of the spl. The headphone out is what I'd be using now, having the monitor outputs on it as well is a bonus for when I invest in some speakers again when I have the space.

Similar price to the project headbox suggestion. This ones a real possibility, thanks for the heads up.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Ah shit I just realised that Pro-Ject Headbox S can accept (digital) audio over USB. What a twonk.

I've been putting off buying one because I thought I'd have to do some complicated RCA chain from my Focusrite to the headbox and then from the headbox to my monitors (to have all things connected if I needed).

But I can just swap USB devices in my OS depending on what I want to use. Argh. What a nobber.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

You know what - I knew I wasn't going mad -

This version has no USB input:

I believe this is the "Pro-Ject Head Box S" version.

The "Pro-Ject Headbox S USB" version, as the name suggests, has USB

As found here:
https://www.rubadub.co.uk/pro-ject-head ... gJQc_D_BwE

Right.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yep, headbox S is just a straight amp, no digi in the way.
I have one, it sits between my soundcard and monitors via the loop it has (in the production room).

HEadbox S USB has a class compliant DAC.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

CRDM wrote: Just having a read about and this one sounds very good from what your saying and it's got good reviews everywhere. So it's their version of the spl. The headphone out is what I'd be using now, having the monitor outputs on it as well is a bonus for when I invest in some speakers again when I have the space.

Similar price to the project headbox suggestion. This ones a real possibility, thanks for the heads up.
Yeah it's a really good deal, plus you get two independent headphone outs. I always use both for something either two headphones or one to feed an audio interface for my phone when making videos.

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

I'm leaving the uk soon and want to pick something up before I go and I'm now ready to make a purchase.

As I have no audio interface, (sold my 8i6 earlier in the year), I've been wondering if getting an all in one usb audio interface would be a sensible purchase. With an input or 2 and some outs for monitors if I end up getting a small pair. I am most concerned with getting good performance from my AKG 702 so I just wanted to post again here to see if anyone knows...

Is there a sub £200 audio interface that has a headphone amp as good as something like the monitor2usb or headbox usb? Or is it my best bet to get one of these purely for headphone performance?

I was thinking that using audio drivers that aren't just ASIO4ALL with ableton would be a nice bonus as I remember getting better performance from my 8i6. I was looking at something like this Audient ID4, apparently it has a decent headphone output, that doens't mean much to me though. Would be cool if I had the money to just order a few things and compare but I'll have to go by recommendations.
[url]ttps://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/audient-id4-usb ... gLKZfD_BwE[/url]

Any suggestions appreciated.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

kind of a noob question here:
could i also use a headphone preamp to sit between my audio interface and the headphones?
just with a jack cable connection?