Infinite sustain with Midi in a DAW

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Infinite sustain with Midi in a DAW

Post by dubdub »

Ok guys, very stupid question right here: When I'm trying to make a pad and have a sustained chord in a MIDI clip (Ableton) it keeps retriggering the attack every time it loops around. What I want is infinite sustain, like you'd get on a keyboard when you hold down the keys forever. If I change the starting point of the loop it works for a moment but when I start-stop, the sound doesn't play, because the attack never gets triggerd. I don't want to record to audio. I think there was a M4L device for this but surely there has to be an easier way?

Martin
clown
Re: Infinite sustain with Midi in a DAW

Post by Martin »

Move the loop starting point instead of the starting point, not at the computer but think that should work

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Been in that situation myself few times but was too lazy to google it so I would always make my way around it.. like decay of reverb and attack/release will get you there.. I know its not the "right" way but still..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Make the loop shorter than the note.

If make a note that runs for 8 bars but have the loop start at bar 2 and finish at bar 6 (but have the sequence still start at 1.1.1.
The midi note will sustain indefinitely providing you do not retrigger the clip.

Also if your notes in a loop carry over the end of a loop, then you need to copy their tails over the start of a loop to ensure the note sustains for as long as you want it to.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The loop thing kinda works, thanks!