Does your Macbook get too hot/loud? Here's the solution

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Andre_Crom
rescued
Does your Macbook get too hot/loud? Here's the solution

Post by Andre_Crom »

Just replied to another Macbook thread here which reminded me of a problem i had (and solved) when i got my new Macbook 15 inch Retina. Secondhand that is, from 2013.

Following years on a super quiet 13 inch MBP, i got the 15 inch one, and initially it became extremely loud, the fans sounded like a helicopter, even when only working with 30 % or so CPU load.

I googled about it and found that it appears many people with 15 inch MBPs report the same problem, while many others don't... Apple seems to not care about solving it.

It seems the problem comes from the CPU running on Turbo Boost by default, which causes your CPU to overclock.

This makes it faster, but also WAY hotter, and the way how it's activated seems to be very dumb - using it even when you don't need the power.

If you have the same issue, get Turbo Boost Switcher. In the free version you have to manually activate it (switching off the turbo boost), in the (10 €) paid version, it autostarts.

Since i use this plugin, my machine runs only on the 2.6 GHZ speed it was designed for, but that's more than enough power for anything i use it for, and it stays super silent.

Oh, and it also extends your battery life, and possibly longterm health and life of your CPU.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Does your Macbook get too hot/loud? Here's the solution

Post by Lost to the Void »

Throw it in the sea?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.