What are the general techniques behind re-edits like this?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Plyphon
endless
What are the general techniques behind re-edits like this?

Post by Plyphon »

[ Warning - disco house content! ]

Heya,

So this record is doing the rounds in sets from Ben UFO etc right now:

youtu.be/pT-t_rZoNLA

Thanks to diligent YouTube sample hunters we have the sample here:

youtu.be/sXzl8a8cJSA

Is anyone able to walk me through the general techniques between flipping a record like that? Even if it's at a high level, that's fine. I just can't seem to think how to go from that original that has drums all over it to that flipped, slightly broken up version that's faster with a more modern mix.

I know certain warp functions can retain pitch - I guess that's how you get the speed, but how do you eliminate the already existing percussion?

Any help, appreciated!

winston
unsure
Re: What are the general techniques behind re-edits like thi

Post by winston »

the first 18 seconds of the Kornel Kovacs track give you all you need to know: filter the sample. the original doesn't have much percussion happening, only a snare and a hat, and most people would try and use the percussion in the sample in their track.

-if you really don't want a drum sound, you can chop round it but this would make it pretty time consuming and require some real creativity which a lot of people don't have.
this video and others shows an example:
youtu.be/NZboBQ6rDrU
-you could use ableton live to get it to the speed you want. i use traktor to change the tempo of the track.
-filter or eq off the bottom end of the sample. eq the rest how you want it.
-find the notes of the bassline so you can use those notes to recreate or modify/make your own bassline.
this video is a good of example of what filtering can acheive
youtu.be/ofor4C8ulT0
once he had the sample, he just added new elements to it. it is really a simple concept. not so easy to get a cracking track though.

Plyphon
endless
Re: What are the general techniques behind re-edits like thi

Post by Plyphon »

Thanks for that dude - now I listen with that in mind I can really hear the hard low and top end EQ on that the sample, it really sits in the middle only.

> not so easy to get a cracking track though.

Yeah, probably the toughest bit!

I might try and remake the disco/sampled bit though later on. The elements he added on top are lovely also. Cheers!