The apprehension engine

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
DixieWhiskey
BAD
The apprehension engine

Post by DixieWhiskey »

So the other day I came accross this:

youtu.be/lzk-l8Gm0MY

and I immediately started thinking how it would make a great source of samples, and how it has, at least to my ear, a definite "techno" character to it.

So I figured I would ask the merry fellows from subsekt if they knew of any other acoustic instruments (that aren't strictly percussion) with a similar concept: namely that of being designed around the exploration of a wide range of timbres instead of the traditional approach of making pitch the main means of expression while timbre remains relatively limited

tsaro
Lifer
Re: The apprehension engine

Post by tsaro »

This thing makes some interesting sounds, kind of reminds me of the Anarchestra. Their instruments are a bit less elaborate, but they have a lot of them. The site still works, not sure if it's still open to the public though since it looks like it hasn't been updated for quite a while. http://www.anarchestra.net/index2.php
youtu.be/_yJSSnu3Le0

Also something I came across last week, that's kind of unique, is the mixtur trautonium.
Found a cool vid by one of the few people who could play it, while operating the device the guy looks (and sounds) somewhat like a mad scientist :lol:
youtu.be/-tQQEChMq1A

I went looking for this after rediscovering an old plugin, the neumixturtrautonium, and remembered that it was based on some crazy machine. You can still download it from archive.org, win32 vst only though: https://web.archive.org/web/20070223073 ... onium.html
how far do you want to go

DixieWhiskey
BAD

Post by DixieWhiskey »

These are very interesting. I could definitely see myself sourcing recordings for sound design from some of the instruments in the first video. That's the kind of thing I was talking about. I would still like to see one that's as "refined" in terms of design as the one I posted though. But yeah thanks for sharing that

The second video I wouldn't say meets the criteria since it's a synth after all, not really an acoustic instrument. Still pretty cool.

Thank you for sharing voodoo

DixieWhiskey
BAD

Post by DixieWhiskey »

I'm downloading the plugin now, I guess I'll whip out reaper 32 bit and rewire it in ableton so I can play with it

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Yeah it's probably not going to be easy finding anything similar to that apprehension engine thing, even if only because of the skills (and mindset) needed to pull off that sort of thing.

Even though it wasn't what you were looking for, because the sounds are generated electronically, sonically they seem to fit in a similar category (at some level, at least). This thing was way ahead of its time, and it's a pity not more instruments were built that went in the same sort of direction.

Here's an album with Oskar Sala on the mixturtrautionium, it's a bit more abstract/experimental.
youtu.be/UTalzWzGACQ

DixieWhiskey
BAD

Post by DixieWhiskey »

nice. interesting textures in there

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Here's something that you might be interested in, based on the same principles as that apprehension engine thing.
youtu.be/b7G1BDhRpZ4
You can (pre)order a diy kit from them here: https://www.exploding-shed.com/
Seems easy enough to experiment with it a bit if you'd want to expand it.

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

vo0doo wrote:Here's something that you might be interested in, based on the same principles as that apprehension engine thing.
youtu.be/b7G1BDhRpZ4
This is awesome! It's like a hardware version of the sounds I always end up making and loving in Metaphysical Function. The developer mentions during the superbooth presentation that he's making Einsturzende Neubauten-like sounds with this... 150 seems a bit steep but I'll definitely take a closer look at this contact mic thing. Might just have to build my own box.

DixieWhiskey
BAD

Post by DixieWhiskey »

vo0doo wrote:Here's something that you might be interested in, based on the same principles as that apprehension engine thing.
youtu.be/b7G1BDhRpZ4
That's awesome thank you
Den Bosch wrote:150 seems a bit steep but I'll definitely take a closer look at this contact mic thing. Might just have to build my own box.
Yeah it just dawned on me that it's definitely something that you would get so much more out of if you were to build one yourself instead of buying an already made instrument or a kit. I bet I could make at least two custom units with that amount of money. They probably wouldn't turn out to be that pretty but who cares. And the contact mics are something that's missing from the one I posted but I think it would be kind of an essential thing to add.

victer
Pig

Post by victer »

hey,
this one had some buzz a few times ago. It does sound a bit more traditional though. Anyway i'd just leave this here
youtu.be/j_LW-eUYt7Y
facebook.com/bepulsed

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

While we're here:

youtu.be/ptRmDeoQQlw