Any Allen&Heath QU series users here? Need a new interface.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
xonetacular
Gnasher
Any Allen&Heath QU series users here? Need a new interface.

Post by xonetacular »

Been asking around for opinions and still torn.

I want a new interface with 32 analog ins. I just sold my midas f24 which was annoying with firewire drivers/support, and I had it filled anyway. Budget a little over 2k.

I can get an allen and heath QU 32 for a little over 2k and it has a 32 channel interface with class compliant usb. Just not sure how it will perform with latency when multitracking, but at least no need to worry about driver support being class compliant. It's also advertised to work as a DAW controller, so I could have 32 motorized faders controlling ableton. I can't find any demos or info of how it works with ableton as a controller, but I know a lot of motorized fader controllers are lacking with ableton so I'm skeptical. I really wish I could see a demo of it controlling ableton. It's really just a bonus that it's a powerful full self contained mixer and I could mix on it if I wanted to.

Other option is to go mixerless and get dedicated interfaces. Was looking mainly at a Motu 1248 with a Motu 24ai linked via AVB which would give me 32 inputs. The 1248 has USB and thunderbolt, so it's intriguing since I could use thunderbolt once I'm upgrade my studio computer which should theoretically be lower latency. It would also allow me to expand for more io with AVB later if I wanted. If I did this I would still like to add a motorized fader controller for ableton, so this option would be a little more expensive and I don't get a bonus fancy huge mixer.

terryfalafel
Component
Re: Any Allen&Heath QU series users here? Need a new interfa

Post by terryfalafel »

No idea about the Allen & Heath I'm afraid, but I've got the MOTU 16a from the same line as the ones you're looking at. I'm really happy with it. I connect it using usb, with the 16 analogue ins and outs as sends and returns for Cubase, and then I have a little DAC which I connect via spdif to the 16a for my monitors. It's not a cheap line of interfaces, but they sound good and work properly.

Just had a look at the qu32 and it looks pretty amazing though. And not too expensive really considering what you're getting....

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

What's the latency like with the 16a over usb?

Yeah it's a tough call still.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

whatever I bought the qu32. hard to pass up for $2080 so figure it's worth a shot to try and wouldnt lose any money if it doesnt work out and I sell it.