Convolution Reverb Plugin

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
thekidhenry
Interact. Don't Spam.
Convolution Reverb Plugin

Post by thekidhenry »

Good afternoon folks,

Can any of you recommend or share some knowledge on Convolution Reverb? Do you use it? Share some of your favorite Convolution Reverbs plugins?

thanks!

intrusav
Rolf Harris
Re: Convolution Reverb Plugin

Post by intrusav »

Yeah, must look into this too. Meant to about, eh, 3 years ago! Think there was a decent discussion on it here before. Will have a look ..

http://subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t ... onvolution

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

I don't really "get" convolution reverbs anymore, given the amount of great algo-driven ones. At least for the sake of reverberation. But maybe I'm missing something.(?)

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

Yes, someone please care to explain. I feel like I have all my reverb needs covered with my Eventide Space. Am I missing out on something?

aliasweber
Unartful

Post by aliasweber »

if you've got ableton suite there's an included convolution reverb max device which is pretty neat, where you can load your own impulse responses.

Neal
fake

Post by Neal »

aliasweber wrote:if you've got ableton suite there's an included convolution reverb max device which is pretty neat, where you can load your own impulse responses.
Was about to suggest this. Great for adding depth to tracks.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Yeah, Convolution verbs are cool if you'r trying to recreate a "real" space but since in techno there is no reference to what a "real" space is you might aswell go for algorithmic verbs which, generally speaking, have more interesting textures.

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

Went through a phase of collecting IRs (plugin of choice was Space Designer) but really... Now I use Toraverb for mad dense ultra long tails and Valhallah Vintage for absolutely everything else. Couldn't ask for more. ProR is apparently worth the money but I won't let myself demo until my recent cash splurging is a distant memory.

Convolution feels like something that should yield more pleasing results than it ever does. :(

thekidhenry
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by thekidhenry »

rktic wrote:I don't really "get" convolution reverbs anymore, given the amount of great algo-driven ones. At least for the sake of reverberation. But maybe I'm missing something.(?)
Interesting reply! can you please elaborate more on "algo-driven" methods?

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

IMO The Max for Live convolution reverb is all you ever need. It has an infinite amount of possibilities.

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

Neal wrote:
aliasweber wrote:if you've got ableton suite there's an included convolution reverb max device which is pretty neat, where you can load your own impulse responses.
Was about to suggest this. Great for adding depth to tracks.

yeaah this is it.

Pros and cons of this m4x device : everything is heaven-like until you want to give more or less decay to it.
Actually there's only 1 use I give to this device (and it's not a small thing) I can use it as a bus reverb and leave it as a acoustic-like reverb on a bus to your mix.

If u want to manipulate decay with a reverb use another one. that conv revb m4x device is good for shorts decays. you load the sample u fkng want (literally, but a real response is better.) and then the magic comes.
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Never really had a problem adjusting decay with Reverberate, not really sure what that's all about tbh. Not used any other convolution verb in ages, seems to me though that should be a standard feature....

Been using the same set for a while now (10 years or so) consisting of various models bricasti, tc, lex etc.
Still reach for them every once in a while when I can't get a regular reverb dialed in the way I want, so it's nice to have extra options beyond that. Though since I rediscovered Ariesverb I don't think I've touched them..... That plugin is fucking amazing if you ask me.
how far do you want to go

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

Have someone used TVERB from eventide ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KA6QSlMZ0Y
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

Reviving this old thread because...

#LatePass

I finally tried a convolution reverb again (Ableton's Max4Live Convolution), and I think it could be a good solution for me and just wanted to share my experience and thinking (and take any suggestions).

I use a mix of hardware and software in general, for reverbs I have been using:
Alesis MidiVerb II - It's crazy to me this rack is $50, it sounds damn good and has a nice dark sound that's perfect for drums but it's admittedly limited
Ensoniq DP/4 - I am still exploring, but so far I only like a few of the reverb patches. A lot of them tend to be metallic sounding, but as mentioned I need to spend more time.
Eventide UltraVerb - I have been using this a bit, but somehow it always feels too bright
Valhalla Vintage Verb - Also a staple, but I have found it always seems a bit muddy, like the sound is focused on low mids and high mids

I love hardware, and was considering a slightly nicer reverb to give myself variety from the MidiVerb but had to be honest that 1. I really can't afford it 2. I work on music a fair amount while traveling. So far, plugins haven't given me that glued together sound like the hardware does so I tried convolution again.

The Max4Live Convulution is dead simple but has some useful controls. I have tried Impulses from two different vintage Lexicons and I think I may be cured of the desire for more hardware (for now at least). Ultimately, I think what I like is that the impulses are capturing the hardwares convertors, and bandwidth limitations which naturally make the reverb a bit darked and sit a bit easier (without as much EQing).

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. If anyone has any Impulse suggestions I would gladly take them.

I can say that the SignalToNoize Impulses (Lexicon, recorded to reel to reel) sound really good.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

rktic wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 am
I don't really "get" convolution reverbs anymore, given the amount of great algo-driven ones. At least for the sake of reverberation. But maybe I'm missing something.(?)
Creativity man.
You can load any madness up as an impulse response...

2ndly, utterly accurate recreations of spaces and algorithm can only approximate.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

tubeside
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by tubeside »

I like convolution reverb (I use the one built into logic) to emulate other reverbs, such as classic lexicon or ensoniq units. There are tons of interesting impulses you can find for free on the internet, or make yourself pretty easily.

division
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by division »

I like „Reverberate Core“ most. It‘s able to use your Nvidia graphics card to do the convolution!
Link: https://www.liquidsonics.com/software/reverberate-core

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:29 pm
Creativity man.
You can load any madness up as an impulse response...

2ndly, utterly accurate recreations of spaces and algorithm can only approximate.
This. The logic convolution reverb had some really creative presets and manipulation methods as well to point out that IR is more than just getting the real sound of a space. You can do some mad shit with it.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

division wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:56 pm
I like „Reverberate Core“ most. It‘s able to use your Nvidia graphics card to do the convolution!
Link: https://www.liquidsonics.com/software/reverberate-core
Genius, can imagine this being hit and miss from a programming side, with dif setups (maybe)

Masari
sad bastard

Post by Masari »

The only convolution reverb i have and use is the one from Max For Live called ... ( snare rolls ) Convolution Reverb ... and Convolution Reverb Pro.