Ableton Audio/Midi FX Racks

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Ableton Audio/Midi FX Racks

Post by dubdub »

Do you guys use any FX or Midi racks regularily? I've never really used this feature until very recently. I found some cool racks online which chain Arps and this really cool one which does a nice, paulstretch-esque timestretch - https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157703

I've also been fucking around with building some of my own racks but I'm not very creative when it comes to building stuff so maybe you guys have some cool ideas :)

jacksonick
reverse genius
Re: Ableton Audio/Midi FX Racks

Post by jacksonick »

I love using parallel chains of max midi fx then editing the result.

Neal
fake

Post by Neal »

I use effects racks quite a bit, helps for A/B against the original sound source, saves having to turn each effect off.

1nfinitezer0
Tiesto

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

Yes, some incredible things you can do. Search the Ableton forums for Angstrom's old posts, specifically the generative music racks he made. There's oodles of tricks that you can do with randomization, using the velocity tool as a filter and splitter, and so on.

FX racks I use to multiband stuff constantly. You can also use the chain selector to get transforming variations on sounds. Good for performance to have a single macro knob to sweep through the chains, and then 1-3 other knobs mapped to the parameters on the effects on each layer. Essentially for building DJ style or dub-out performance effects.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

could you explain how to split stuff into single bands? iam in a situation right now, where i could use it.
Iam having 3 different layers, with different sounds of the same arp sequence, now it would be nice to process the layers even further. i tried with eq, but i would like to have new effects on the single layers..

Thies
Pig

Post by Thies »

Juste use an audio FX rack split it up in 3 chains and put the FX you want after the EQ's in the chain