Novation Launchcontrol XL

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Novation Launchcontrol XL

Post by Críoch »

Hi guys,

Considering picking up one of these. I like how you can create custom mappings & recall them. Millions of knobs. Know there's a MK2 version that's black & has slightly different software( for logic & PT possibly)

Anybody have one? If so, would appreciate your thoughts.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Pelecaras
Lifer
Re: Novation Launchcontrol XL

Post by Pelecaras »

i have one mate, solidly built, nice sized pots and sliders, plenty of mapping options...works seamlessly with live.
not too pricey either john,
FUCK-WIT

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

That's positive! :)

Thanks for that . I have a small korg nano for jamming... But I the idea of the extra knobs & mappings. It has the potential to be used as a drum rack controller & maybe even as a 'hardware' step sequencer. I'm hopefully getting a Push 2 at some point.. so the extra controls might be usefu.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

no problems john, it's great for jamming mate, I get a few clips together and just bring elements in/out using the sliders. really nice for getting the backbone of arrangments.

i'm really interested to know how to use it to control drumreack and as sequencer too. is that a hack or official firmware?
FUCK-WIT

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I'm using it, too. I'd say the faders could be build better, but hey, that price is great. Other that that it's solid and a great solution for controlling ableton live. That factory preset works seamlessly and it's super easy to build your own, project based, user presets. I use it mainly for jamming out some arrangements. Like Pelecaras, do fade ins and outs, map fx to some knobs and so on. Even while producing loops and stuff it can be handy for arming your tracks, soloing, muting.. I have combined it with a launchpad mini, so i can jam out clips while controlling their parameters and fx with launchcontrol.
:geek:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

That's good few positives.. thanks a lot for the replies.

It looks like a great system.. setting all up, the daw control & assigning user mappings.

I'm on the fence slightly as I had one of those nocturns years ago & it was a piece of shit. Endless encoders are nothing but trouble in anything I've ever had. Had to replace them in a synth too. Either they aren't accurate or they ghost data.

I've watched most of the vids online at this stage & it sure looks handy as fuck. Thanks again men!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I have one, which I don't use very much but for the price you can't complain. It's fine, I just prefer the automapping and display of parameter values on the push.

Bocaj
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Bocaj »

I never understood why there isn't more controllers filled with knobs. I'd dream that one day Behringer will make an updated BCR2000. Really can't believe they haven't yet, what with it's cult like status and all.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The controller market is kind of dreadful in general. Except for the Push there really hasn't been that much advancement in the last 20 years or so and in some cases even regression (e.g. it's impossible to find a simple knob or fader box as good as the BCR / BCF at a reasonable price).

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Aye... The BCR would be ideal in so many ways. They're so expensive now unfortunately. Ive read People asking about the encoders &seen sellers mention about the odd misbehaving encoder.. so I'm not sure whether one is a good buy in 2019.

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

dubdub wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:24 pm
The controller market is kind of dreadful in general. Except for the Push there really hasn't been that much advancement in the last 20 years or so and in some cases even regression (e.g. it's impossible to find a simple knob or fader box as good as the BCR / BCF at a reasonable price).
Native Instruments make some good Kontrollers the keyboards look great but gawd there’s so much wasted plastic space on those things, I wish they’d make a souped up keyboard and Maschine controller built into one big unit.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Críoch wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:48 pm
Aye... The BCR would be ideal in so many ways. They're so expensive now unfortunately. Ive read People asking about the encoders &seen sellers mention about the odd misbehaving encoder.. so I'm not sure whether one is a good buy in 2019.
Wow, I checked ebay and I saw a new one for 400 euros..... When I bought mine a couple years ago, they were everywhere for 100-150 euros.

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

This is what works the best for me in the studio and also live. I can switch between different banks with the foot controller. However I bought everything much cheaper than its retail price
MF Twister+Patform X+SoftStep
MF Twister+Patform X+SoftStep
078589F3-10CD-47EB-8C0B-E32EC0DF9F88.jpeg (175.25 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

I also had a bcr 3000 and gave it to a friend who doesent use it.. so if anyone wants it drop me am pm and we can figure something out with shipping costs ..
I use the a&h xone:4d for dj mixing and sometimes for production too, it has amazing faders & knobs

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Wish I had of got one when I had a chance years ago .. but I think I m sold on the Novation. Thanks for the offer man. Maybe someone will take you up on it :)

I was going to buy from Thomann.. but it's no longer listed on the site. It was up to last week. Contacted them about it & they said that they were no longer stocking it as the margin was too small on it. Not sure if that indicates high quality or cold hard business.

kirkwoodwest
quasi-public

Post by kirkwoodwest »

I like all the functionality of mine. But the knobs and faders take quite a bit of effort to turn. There is no glide like in my a&h92. Might be different between different manufacturing times... and maybe somebody has a way to loosen it up.

I also quite like the Akai midimix. At first I was frustrated with the knobs and faders. They are quite short and a little difficult to grab... but once I got used to it it’s fine. And the bonus is the low profile and it’s size. Making it my favorite right now for travel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest/

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Cheers Kirk.

Interesting about the akai. I was looking at that originally but got put off by the lowprofile knobs tbh.

Can you map anything you like to the knobs etc.. on the akai & can you switch between templates on the unit?

From what I see.. the XL has a lot of workflow enhancements. Good points about the tightness of the knobs.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hi.. finally picked up one of these today.

Fuck me, the pots & faders are indeed tight. All the pots are centre detented (??) If that's the word.

I like that though. I'm far happier with them being that way than loose or wobbly. It does feel like a sturdy unit. There's s nice bit of weight to it.

I hope it's not a piece of shit like the last Novation product I bought.. the nocturn. All the encoders went rogue. We'll see.