Qrates

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Qrates

Post by The_G »

Anyone used this service before, either as an artist or a label?

https://qrates.com

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Qrates

Post by dubdub »

It's pretty expensive compared to regular plants, especially at 100 pieces. It's obviously what happens when you take in another middleman in the process. If you have fans that can crowdfund a release and are willing to pay a premium, you can probably sell it directly in the stores. I guess it's a useful site for artists that don't have or can't risk the somewhat hefty capital requirement that comes with pressing vinyl upfront. Personally, i'd rather save up though, I don't believe in crowdfunding music, it just feels wrong. Whack it in the stores with little fanfare and if people like it, they'll buy it, that's the techno way.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

dubdub wrote:It's pretty expensive compared to regular plants, especially at 100 pieces. It's obviously what happens when you take in another middleman in the process. If you have fans that can crowdfund a release and are willing to pay a premium, you can probably sell it directly in the stores. I guess it's a useful site for artists that don't have or can't risk the somewhat hefty capital requirement that comes with pressing vinyl upfront. Personally, i'd rather save up though, I don't believe in crowdfunding music, it just feels wrong. Whack it in the stores with little fanfare and if people like it, they'll buy it, that's the techno way.
Thanks man. Much appreciated! I suspected as much.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

A few friends have used it successfully, but they already had established labels and fans. Its a great concept all round just pricy
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune