How would I make this square wave bass sound?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Plyphon
endless
How would I make this square wave bass sound?

Post by Plyphon »

Heya,

Sound is at 30 sec onwards:

youtu.be/862OO3LAZdE

Excuse the laryness of the tune, but I can't figure out how to get such a smooth filter curve on my square wave bass sounds. Where do you reckon this sound came from? Is it FM?

Cheers!

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt
Re: How would I make this square wave bass sound?

Post by Mattias »

Very Juno-ish but can be accomplished by any subtractive synth really. Classic sound
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

There is a change in the amp envelope and/ or maybe the filter envelope - sometimes the last note of the pattern has a slower attack, that makes this glide like feeling. And the resonance is changing, so that it sometimes sounds more clean or more wet and squeezing.
:geek:

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Mattias wrote:Very Juno-ish but can be accomplished by any subtractive synth really. Classic sound

yeah thats what I thought (regarding any sub synth) but I struggled getting there with Bassline-101. I'll try TAl-U-NO tonight and see what it sounds like!
Root wrote:There is a change in the amp envelope and/ or maybe the filter envelope - sometimes the last note of the pattern has a slower attack, that makes this glide like feeling. And the resonance is changing, so that it sometimes sounds more clean or more wet and squeezing.
Thanks, Ill try and fiddle the resonance. I hadn't thought of trying that

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

Yeah it does sound Juno-ey. The SH-101 makes this sound in a punchy way too. I was trying to tell if it had the Juno chorus on it ( as that's sometimes a giveaway on the Sub Osc Juno bass sound )

It could be any number of things couldn't it, I've used the Juno 60 and the 106 and the Alpha, and it actually sounds a little more Alpha Juno to me, a bit fuzzier and softer. The older Junos grip and bite a bit more, could be 106 I guess too though. Pure guesswork, obviously a square wave or sub osc bass is easy but certain synths give a more satisfying tone than others with an identical patch.

I suppose just try out what you have access to and pick which you like best. Redominator for Alpha Juno, Tal Uno for the Juno, SH-101 emulations. You can always try the sampler method too, if you're in Ableton, just drop a sq waveform into simpler and set the patch up and experiment with different filter models and lp12 and lp24.

Easy enough to make any number of ways, obviously more effective on some things than others. You can do it with FM too but it tends to sound a little more 'precise' /sharp but this isn't FM as far as I can tell.

It's funny, last night I was cycling through various Youtube vids and came across a Martin Iveson ( Atjazz ) one with a seriously punchy sub/sq wave bass sound. The camera didn't linger very long on the synth but I think it's the Roland SH-09 or the SH-2 - a fair few of the Roland synths do this sound very well.

youtu.be/gfiHCTZNGAk

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

I love those old masterclass videos, they're from an era full of golden knowledge that people rarely put up on youtube these days.

Thanks for the tips there, I'm going to try a few other synths tonight, see what I can find.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Southpaw wrote:Redominator for Alpha Juno, Tal Uno for the Juno, SH-101 emulations.
I made a preset like that for Redom, you can find it in the basses. In case you've got it, that is. (Around 40 seconds in here:)

Southpaw
quasi-public

Post by Southpaw »

rktic wrote:
Southpaw wrote:Redominator for Alpha Juno, Tal Uno for the Juno, SH-101 emulations.
I made a preset like that for Redom, you can find it in the basses. In case you've got it, that is. (Around 40 seconds in here:)

great stuff thank you
Deep House & Dub Techno Samples https://www.abitdeeper.com/