what other music production forums do you use?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
buonacc
sad bastard
Re: what other music production forums do you use?

Post by buonacc »

Críoch wrote:I dunno..

People are using their stuff. Having Fun. Eating. Sleeping. Working. Too busy to write. Sometimes they feel like chatting & sometimes they dont. Sometimes they feel great & sometimes the confidence goes. Not everyone wants to chat or educate / whatever. There is no law to say that YOU MUST SHARE, y'know.
right on, sometimes it's better not to get wrapped up in the details and just get it done. that's a big part of why i never actually accomplish anything, i waste too much time reading up on and talking about stuff instead of actually using it. just got a new PC, i'm planning on changing my setup so that it makes it physically uncomfortable for me to spend to much time on my "internet" PC.

shit, i'll probably just end up on the couch with my iPad listening to the current "loop" for hours.
Planar wrote:Subsekt, imo, shines when it comes to getting feedback on tracks that other users post up. I stalk a couple of other forums (DOA, KVR etc) and what always sets this place apart is that people will take the time to listen and give honest feedback on tracks. After a certain point, and your 20 years suggests youre probably there already, there's not much you can read to improve. So having this network of people who who do listen and review material means that you get personalised feedback that can help you improve.
man, you're completely right. this was actually just what i had in mind when i joined. i wanted to finally focus on working towards some sort of goal and contribute to a community that placed value on the finished product rather than the tools used to construct it. i do love that end of it, but it's really gotten me nowhere. not that i'm really bothered by that, i'm just as happy jamming out for a few hours then shutting everything down, but it would be nice to actually make some real use of all that i've learned over the years. i'm sure it would make me a happier person overall, which definitely couldn't hurt. i have no expectations and am very happy with my abilities (and content with the lack of, in some areas), so i'm not chasing some dream of "getting signed" or anything like that. if anything worthwhile does end up happening in the long run, i'll probably appreciate it more this way.

thanks!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

There is no posturing, cuntflaps, I am that I am.
But you know, you are welcome anyway I suppose.
But you can sit in the shitty seat.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

Lost to the Void wrote:There is no posturing, cuntflaps
fucking lol. :D awesome.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Alume wrote:Oh yeah ans the dutch synthforum!

Awesome for second hand deals in the neighbourhood
is that any good at all ?
I probably registered once ages ago but never did anything with it.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:Subsekt, imo, shines when it comes to getting feedback on tracks that other users post up. I stalk a couple of other forums (DOA, KVR etc) and what always sets this place apart is that people will take the time to listen and give honest feedback on tracks. After a certain point, and your 20 years suggests youre probably there already, there's not much you can read to improve. So having this network of people who who do listen and review material means that you get personalised feedback that can help you improve.
Couldn't agree more on this.
I really enjoy the feedback I get here, though unfortunately the input/output ratio on that part is usually 5 to 1 or more on my part.
But it is what it is, I consider any track I listen to in order to give feedback just a great listening experience.
Nowadays it's a rare thing to sit back and really properly take the time to listen to stuff.
It's just free training for the ears.
Though I gotta say I'd still like to see some more improvement on the "give a little more and you'll get a little more" part. :|

Planar wrote: I generally like that there's little hype around new plugins and gear. And I especially like that bullshit audiophile myths get short shrift. There is a lot of bad info perpetuated around some places.
I recently spoke to someone who claimed subsekt was hyping gear a lot, and I honestly couldn't see where he got that opinion from. I really couldn't. I used to be very active on VSE for many many years, and I left the place when I got totally fed up on how they would always discuss some sort of synth, but pretty much never the music that you made with it...
To me, any synth/sampler/VST/rhino dildo is just an instrument, a simple tool to do a job with.
Planar wrote: There's no limit to genre here either, open a thread about a topic in rock/trance/blues/dubstep etc etc and it's likely to get a response (maybe after the odd bit of banter if its a bit cheesy). There are a couple of us who don't make techno at all and most of the topics here apply just as much to what we do.
again, very true.
we love our tech house here... :D ;)
but yeah, generally speaking I think this is totally true.
And apart from the fact that it's usually possible to discuss all kinds of things.
I've gotten many book and film tips from subsekt.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

but to answer OP's question.
I've been a forum user since 2001 or something.

I started on the old VSE forum (pre 2004 when the whole site got renewed, hung around a little bit afterwards in the new forum), wasting away the quiet hours of my old nightshifts.
I really enjoyed the fact that you could finally talk to other synth users.
When I bought my first synth in 94, internet "theoretically" existed but pretty much nobody had access to it,
so there was simply no way to get any kind of info.
It was just you, the synth, and the crappy manual.
And growing up in a shit hole of a town, being surrounded by guitar geeks all over, thats wasn't exactly the best situation.

Later on I briefly spent some time on the future producers forum, but that place was a big joke.

Then I was extremely happy to find mnml.nl, which seemed to be the first place I found where they talked more about using the gear than whatever gear you had to buy.
But yeah, the place was kind of limited, and it only had the same 4 or 5 guys and a bunch of visitors.
Someone over there mentioned subsekt, so I googled it, arrived here and never looked back.

Sure enough, I've been on other fora once in a while, mostly as a visitor,
but I don't like to be on several fora. Give me just one proper one and I'm more than happy.
Subsekt seemed to be that place. Sure was in the past.

But in the end, it's more important to make music than to ramble endlessly about making music.