Fed up with software

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Dubz
Interact. Don't Spam.
Fed up with software

Post by Dubz »

I know right, welcome to 5 years ago but I finally got sick of producing on software. I need some hardware set-up recommendations that can do it all. Just a simple set up will do.

I've been on ableton for about 10 years and hoping the transition will be smooth.

Please don't flame me Just looking for some helpful guidance. Thanks for your tips!

ps - happy Canada day!

Pelecaras
Lifer
Re: Fed up with software

Post by Pelecaras »

Push 2?
Best of both worlds....software convenience but hardware workflow?

Also the korg Minilogue seems to be popular around these parts.

Personally I'd get (if I went hardware)

A tempest
A blofeld
And
A shit load of pedals/processors
FUCK-WIT

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

P.S

Fuck Canada day!!!!

Fuck ANY national day!!!!

Welcome to subsekt
FUCK-WIT

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Start 1 by 1.

Learn whatever you have before buying your next piece.

God, im such a hypotit.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

I’ve spent a hideous part of my life in front of a computer so made the leap about 2-ish years ago. Never looked back though I still use the DAW extensively and just finished a track that’s 100% digital. Anyway, first purchase was an Elektron A4, Roland TR-8 and Boss RE201 Space Echo.

The reasoning was I need a groovebox capable of a lot if I was going to break totally away from the DAW and the A4 has a unique and extensive sequencer plus song mode. The TR-8 was an elaborate metronome so I could focus on the A4’s learning curve but I’ve been listening to a 909 kick for over 20 years so thought why not.

Not long after I added a Volca Sample to trigger one shots, vocals and FX. I mostly feed these through the Space Echo and live out my King Tubby fantasies.

After this I added an Elektron Machinedrum, I was enamored with the A4 by then and it was when Elektron announced they were discontinuing and selling them at a reduced rate. I don’t use it to its potential (probably my fault) and the features that attracted me to it is now available in the Digitakt. That said, I just haven’t given it the time and it was a classic case of GAS getting in the way of production.

From here on in added a Moog Minitaur to utilize the CV out and final track from the A4. A simple yet great sounding synth, the Moog filter is just gorgeous.

And that’s essentially it apart from pedals. Guitarists get bored and move these around all the time so I keep an eye on a few FB groups and pick inexpensive ones up from time to time. Mostly delays and reverbs, plus it keeps the GAS contained.

In summary that really is all I need now and many timeless tracks were made on a lot less. I’ll probably add a poly at some point for pads (probably a Minilogue or Blofeld) and something a bit cleaner though some of those semi-modulars (Dreadbox NYX, 0-Coast, Mother) appeal too. And there goes the GAS again….

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

You're talking synths right? Okay, then a few questions:

1. What's your budget?

2. Vintage or new?

3. What kind of music do you make?

4. Do you prefer keyboard or desktop synth?

5. Do you prefer compact or full-size?

6. Are you looking at monosynths, polysynths or both?

Dubz
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Dubz »

Thanks for the responses so far some great advice so far!!
@the g
- Budget is $2000 cdn all in. which equates to about $1600
- I'm up for vintage or new
- I make techno and electro
- keyboard synth
- compact
- mono vs poly - prolly mono but open to suggestions

Cheers

The_G wrote:You're talking synths right? Okay, then a few questions:

1. What's your budget?

2. Vintage or new?

3. What kind of music do you make?

4. Do you prefer keyboard or desktop synth?

5. Do you prefer compact or full-size?

6. Are you looking at monosynths, polysynths or both?

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Check out MPC Live. This looks like great Hardware as a center of your Studio. Add some synths to taste and there you go!
:geek:

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

As cool as the MPC Live is, isn't it just Ableton + Push in a box with a small screen? I'd rather invest the money in some screen-less, knob per function type gear.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I thought of the MPC live because it's abletonliveish. Dubz is looking for something where the transition will be easy. Otherwise you're right, it might be worth checking out different approaches. Squarp Pyramid for example..
:geek:

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

dubdub wrote:As cool as the MPC Live is, isn't it just Ableton + Push in a box with a small screen?
?? if only it was, it can only do a fraction of what's possible in Ableton. hard to say how much functionality you'd miss out on going from Ableton to that, though i guess it depends on how you use Ableton.

however, if someone wanted to go completely OTB, i think the MPC Live (or the X) would be a nice thing to build a setup around and it's a great suggestion for doing just that. it's no Ableton/Push, but i can't think of much else hardware-wise that would cover as many bases.

that would eat up most of his budget though. either way, with a figure of ~$1500 in mind, i can't really think of any hardware solution that's not going to be a drastic compromise. again though, i guess it depends on what your needs/expectations are.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

For someone presumeably looking to get away from a screeen it just seems like too much money to keep looking at a screen. I don't think going fully OTB is very feasible for someone on a limited budget - IMO it's smarter to buy some nice drum
machines and synths and keep Ableton for recording/editing/mixing with the kind of budget OP has instead of scrambling to replace the DAW.

With OPs budget id be looking at a Minilogue, one of the countless cheap monos, a TR8 or some MFB stuff, maybe a beatstep pro.