Gluing Drums

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
TomasHD
slipper
Gluing Drums

Post by TomasHD »

Hi everyone. I am trying to create a "distorted-glued sound in my drums", typical in many analog techno recordings, but can also be created with plugins.
I ve searched around the forum some useful tips to achieve the sort of sound I am looking for, and i know its basically compression and also the context where the elements are putted.

But I dont know exactly how to apply it or in which way do i need to compress, i am not expert in compression, just the basic stuff.

This is an example of what I am looking for. Hope thats clear enough. Thx a lot

youtu.be/LKpvea5KlCA

sergiobR1
Wastedddd
Re: Gluing Drums

Post by sergiobR1 »

U should read about compression a lil' bit bro.

Almost sure by hearing that track that compression is not what you've been looking for.
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

WCO4
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by WCO4 »

There is good information on compression in these forumns, while compressors surely can help glue the mix, there are alot of other things.
Another thing would be a bus reverb or saturation and setting all the drums in the same "space" would help contribute to the glue you're talking about, a lot of it is glued with the rhythm and EQ and just being similar timbres and in the right pitches so many factors on everything sounding glued just keep tinkering it things will fall in place with enough practice.
But yeah compression is used afterwards a lot to glue it.
Compression is complicated and delicate though. I am not the best person to explain that one.

dippy egg
Unartful

Post by dippy egg »

Have you read and understood Void's Mix bus compression guide which is a sticky on the forum page? That's the place to begin.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah, I mean the track you linked is just normal compression, there's nothing special happening there.
Plenty of tops on the forum to get that.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

1nfinitezer0
Tiesto

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

I wonder if you're looking for a bus mixing type technique?

e.g. Have a send channel that's fully wet using an analog-emulation compressor. Run enough levels into it that you're pushing it until it distorts. Play with settings and inputs until you get a nice rhythmic pump. Put it in the main mix at a lower volume. EQ to taste.