How do you guys use U-He Satin?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: How do you guys use U-He Satin?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Weirdly I`ve stopped using it in production, it gets used in mastering sometimes, I`ve sort of gone off tape a little, as for the stuff I`m doing at the moment, it adds too much density.
I`ve been mixing through preamps to get a slightly more open sound, to allow me to get a super dense sound without it getting....gooey... It`s complicated.
Bit of a change of subject really.

But yeah, mixing in to Satin is great, I`ve never actually tried it as a delay or anything.

Been trialing some other stuff but it`s too early to say if it is better than Satin or not, in tape terms.

At this point I`d like to see different tape types emulated, and not just machines, as I think there is definitely a missed opportunity, and different tapes do hold up under drive differently. They`ve sort of done that with magnetite, but it doesn`t feel there yet in that respect. It`s like a generalization.
It probably is a little much to be asking for emulating specific tape types though... especially as some are no longer manufactured.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Emulating tape is really handy for synthwave. I use the iZotope one, since I was able to get it through my uni. It's okay. Satin is much better.

Also, I have to be really careful about using it, as my mixes tend to be a bit stuck together as is, and the tape effect can add density I don't want/need.

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Would be interesting to hear a Pre-master with Satin on the master mixed to -6dB. In general all too often individuals A/B to mixes that are "perfected" and mastered, and then kick their self in the ass when they can't achieve the same thing in their bedroom studio.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I could post up an example if you like. I have all manner of premasters in the mastering studio archive.
New Shit

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Lost to the Void wrote:I could post up an example if you like. I have all manner of premasters in the mastering studio archive.
Yeah I think that would be great, if you don't mind. I think it would just set a good example as to what mastering really "contributes". You never hear what leaves the hands of the producer.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well, we are just talking me putting satin over a premasters and posting before and after, and not me posting a premaster and full master right? The latter wouldn't tell you much about what Satin is doing.
New Shit

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Lost to the Void wrote:Well, we are just talking me putting satin over a premasters and posting before and after, and not me posting a premaster and full master right? The latter wouldn't tell you much about what Satin is doing.
Either or really. Is that common practice for you to put satin over a pre-master? I was thinking you had it slapped on the master while mixing etc. I'm assuming the track was mixed without Satin, and then mastered without Satin as well? So for whatever reason you would've had to think that Satin wasn't going to cut it for that specific mix :D

But yeah, I think the -6Db pre-master (or whatever volume you mix to) would be great to listen to for a track that was released (inclusive of satin).

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

Senko wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Well, we are just talking me putting satin over a premasters and posting before and after, and not me posting a premaster and full master right? The latter wouldn't tell you much about what Satin is doing.
Either or really. Is that common practice for you to put satin over a pre-master? I was thinking you had it slapped on the master while mixing etc. I'm assuming the track was mixed without Satin, and then mastered without Satin as well? So for whatever reason you would've had to think that Satin wasn't going to cut it for that specific mix.
i would guess that 'Satin' itself is just one part of the mastering process? too many other variables involved to be able to tell exactly what it's doing, thus the full master would not be a good way to show it off?

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

No no, I meant the use of Satin in the pre-master.

I'm sure mastering engineers have better tools than satin at their disposal, but hey, I'm sure Satin has its place from time to time.

buonacc
sad bastard

Post by buonacc »

doh! right.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Senko wrote:No no, I meant the use of Satin in the pre-master.

I'm sure mastering engineers have better tools than satin at their disposal, but hey, I'm sure Satin has its place from time to time.
Satin is perfectly useful in mastering, I use it occasionally when I think it will help.
Damn site easier than having to run my old machine, unless I am really going for some heavy tonal change.

What you propose won't have any meaning.
If you are using Satin in mixing, then you are mixing in to it, like mixing in to a compressor, so the whole mix will be adjusted for that.
Doing an a\b with the satin on and off would therefore not really tell you what is happening in a meaningful way.

Just running a premaster through it as the first stage in mastering for an a\b makes more sense especially if you drive it right.
New Shit

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Senko wrote:No no, I meant the use of Satin in the pre-master.

Satin is perfectly useful in mastering, I use it occasionally when I think it will help.
Damn site easier than having to run my old machine, unless I am really going for some heavy tonal change.

What you propose won't have any meaning.
If you are using Satin in mixing, then you are mixing in to it, like mixing in to a compressor, so the whole mix will be adjusted for that.
Doing an a\b with the satin on and off would therefore not really tell you what is happening in a meaningful way.

Just running a premaster through it as the first stage in mastering for an a\b makes more sense especially if you drive it right.

I guess what I meant is the latter then, running a premaster through Satin for an a/b comparison.

I'll start a thread later to cover the whole "what should a proper premasterbsound like" before being sent off. (If the thread isn't already created)

ggroove
brown envelope

Post by ggroove »

This is one setup that Tchad uses on his mix, taken from a recently uploaded Mix with the masters trailer.

Attached a screen shot..

youtu.be/2lHkxrfvTV8
Attachments
tchad.png
tchad.png (476.72 KiB) Viewed 1572 times

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I actually posted a downloadable preset on the mastering thread, that I made to closely emulate the sound of my Studer G36
New Shit

ggroove
brown envelope

Post by ggroove »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:41 pm
I actually posted a downloadable preset on the mastering thread, that I made to closely emulate the sound of my Studer G36
Ohh :) glad you changed your mind! Will check, thanks!

ggroove
brown envelope

Post by ggroove »

Lost to the Void wrote:
I scanned the topic and also searched for "studer", "satin", "preset" but couldn't find it! Just the post in march where you told me you wouldn't share it hehe.. :mrgreen: if you have the time to look for it, let me know!

cheers

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

I use the Satin in 2 ways, but I'm just starting to understand it. I use it quite subtile. 1 use is on vocals, to give them a little bit of saturation, makes them pop out a bit. But I always use it in combination with other distorsion VST.

The second way I use it is for tape delay, works fine, but to be honest it isn't my favorite delay unit...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

ggroove wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:12 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
I scanned the topic and also searched for "studer", "satin", "preset" but couldn't find it! Just the post in march where you told me you wouldn't share it hehe.. :mrgreen: if you have the time to look for it, let me know!

cheers
Ah fuck. I posted it somewhere

I'll upload it in the main Satin thread later.
New Shit

ggroove
brown envelope

Post by ggroove »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:44 pm
ggroove wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:12 am
Lost to the Void wrote:

cheers
Ah fuck. I posted it somewhere

I'll upload it in the main Satin thread later.
No worries! Glad I don't have to buy new glasses. :D Actually .. I really have to buy new glasses. I lost them at a party over a year ago.. fuck I really should be getting new glasses / 24/7-squinter..

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I mix into mine on the master constantly.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659