Advice on recording external gear

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Macca
durchfall
Advice on recording external gear

Post by Macca »

Hi guys.

So I'm looking for some advice on how to record any of my jams. Currently my setup right now is Image

I'd like to be able to record the individual inputs of the RYTM aswell as the octatrack/minibrute/deepmind 12.

I understand I can use overbridge but I don't think it has enough inputs for them all, I also have a traktor audio A10 which doesn't have enough either.

I have been looking up and don't know whether to get a better soundcard or go completely hardware and maybe get a Mackie or something? I'd love to go down the external mixer route but I don't know if it's overkill, I just would miss abletons eq.

Just looking for advice here as it's something I'm not very clued about guys.

Cheers
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

nomadjames
mummy!!
Re: Advice on recording external gear

Post by nomadjames »

I would suggest getting a good sound card with lots of inputs. Mine has 8, plus two spdif through a preamp, and they are all full. I plan on getting another ADAT preamp, because I have more hardware coming. There is nothing better than multi-tracking live jams and then going back and editing them.

Soon, I will be able to tack 16 channels through my Mackie mixer into my sound card...I can't fuckin' wait.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Macca wrote:Hi guys.

So I'm looking for some advice on how to record any of my jams. Currently my setup right now is Image

I'd like to be able to record the individual inputs of the RYTM aswell as the octatrack/minibrute/deepmind 12.

I understand I can use overbridge but I don't think it has enough inputs for them all, I also have a traktor audio A10 which doesn't have enough either.

I have been looking up and don't know whether to get a better soundcard or go completely hardware and maybe get a Mackie or something? I'd love to go down the external mixer route but I don't know if it's overkill, I just would miss abletons eq.

Cheers
I solved a similar problem by getting a !Mackie mtrk mixer, which acts as a Device and you can access all channels within abelbobbins.

God damn I want a full sized deepmind by I just don't have the fucking room.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Macca wrote:Hi guys.

Cheers
I solved a similar problem by getting a !Mackie mtrk mixer, which acts as a Device and you can access all channels within abelbobbins.

God damn I want a full sized deepmind by I just don't have the fucking room.
Hey Void, you got a link to the mixer? This sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

Yeah it's a fair size, but I love it.

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

I would go for the better soundcard, plug it in and record, no hussing and fussing, works like a charm :)

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Multitracking is really nice. I currently have 16 ins and that's a nice amount.
I'm gonna try to add some external fx to work with my daw, so it's possible that I need another adat converter in the future.
I will get that one automatically when I upgrade my ada8000; god damn that thing is a fucking stove in your rack!

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I'm in the exact same situation. Got a Babyface Pro but can't be arsed to buy a fuckin adat converter (except someone can tell a not that expensive one). So I'm trying to get rid of the Babyface and fund me a soundcard with at least 6 inputs.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

I like the idea of a soundcard but I would have no idea where to start, and they seem to get extremely expensive if you want ones with alot of inputs.

Wolf, what are you using for 16 tracks?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah, here is link, had a mind fart though.
Soundcraft mtk 12
https://www.thomann.de/gb/soundcraft_signature12mtk.htm

It's perfect for the task. The mixer is a 12 track usb audio interface so every track on the mixer is available individually inside your daw, they do a 22 track too. Nice ghost preamps, the asymmetric EQ is also lovely, you got low cuts per channel too.
Can't go wrong really.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah, here is link, had a mind fart though.
Soundcraft mtk 12

It's perfect for the task. The mixer is a 12 track usb audio interface so every track on the mixer is available individually inside your daw, they do a 22 track too. Nice ghost preamps, the asymmetric EQ is also lovely, you got low cuts per channel too.
Can't go wrong really.
Think that might be the one for me. Gonna check this out after work.

Cheers.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Soundcraft mtk 12

Can't go wrong really.
Wow, that's a nice price for what you get. I've been looking for a way to get a more dub-style live mixing workflow into my purely ITB process. I'm curious, since it doubles as a soundcard, could I route audio from Ableton via the mixer back into Ableton just via USB? Could I setup the mixer sends so they send to Ableton's virtual returns? Essentially what I would want is to work purely in the box but to control EQ/channel volume/send gain via the mixer.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Lost to the Void wrote: God damn I want a full sized deepmind by I just don't have the fucking room.
Don't wanna make another thread, but anyone got tips on saving room with a large synth like a deepmind? It's taking up most my space.

Was going to get a double rack for the electron stuff to save some room but it's really the deepmind taking up it all.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Macca wrote:Wolf, what are you using for 16 tracks?
I have a rme hdsp9652 with Steinberg Nuendo adat converter for my first 8 ins (and also monitor outs and sends to fx).
The Nuendo converter is a rme adi-8 pro in a different package.
My second converter for channel 9 to 16 is a Behringer ada8000 that will go to track 17-24 when I buy a second Nuendo converter.
Highest possible bitrate on the Nuendo and ada8000 converters is 48kHZ but that's fine for me.
Ada8000 is a nice start but don't use the XLR inputs as I noticed quite heavy channel bleeding
Ada8000's can be bought for 80 euro's second hand which is a no brainer.
If you want better you can buy the new upgrade 8200 with midas pré amps.
Yes it's Behringer and it's not pro gear, but I'm not a pro either.
Last edited by WOLF! on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Macca wrote:Don't wanna make another thread, but anyone got tips on saving room with a large synth like a deepmind? It's taking up most my space.
Check out Jaspers stands.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Soundcraft mtk 12

Can't go wrong really.
Have you tried out the Soundcraft mtk 12 with Live yet? I know you prefer to do all ITB or OTB, but I'm curious how well it works as an interface.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

As I don't have any space left, a mixer is not an option. Can anyone recommend a good audio interface with at least 6 inputs OR an ADAT solution for my Babyface Pro (I don't want Behringer in my signal chain)?

I'd be very thankful, pass you a virtual brew plus you'll get 3,7 karma points.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Mono-xID wrote: OR an ADAT solution for my Babyface Pro (I don't want Behringer in my signal chain)?

I'd be very thankful, pass you a virtual brew plus you'll get 3,7 karma points.
As I mentioned in my previous post:
The Nuendo converter is a rme adi-8 pro in a different package.
Can be bought second hand for 250/300 euro's in the Nuendo version or 350/400 euro in the Rme version (but it's the same!).
The question is do you have the space for a 1U 19" rack unit?

Or sell your BabyFace Pro and buy a second hand RME of Motu interface with 8 I/o's (and adat ports for future expansions).

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Thanks for the recommendation mate. Nah I don't have space for 19" rack devices.
I was thinking already that selling the Babyface Pro to get a soundcard with more in's is the only option for me.

Hope to get a good price for the Babyface.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

If anyone's wanting that Traktor audio 10 let me know as I'm going to be selling it.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Mono-xID wrote:Thanks for the recommendation mate. Nah I don't have space for 19" rack devices.
I was thinking already that selling the Babyface Pro to get a soundcard with more in's is the only option for me.

Hope to get a good price for the Babyface.

Atm I'm looking for a good adat 8 I/O device, too. Don't know, if you sell the babyface, you won't get anything that good with more In's for a reasonable price. So you will loose quality and reliability.

If you'd add a Adat Device, you'll have more ins and the quality of the babyface, for a price you'd pay at least for a new interface. And one day, if babyface + adat won't be enough anymore, you could still sell the babyface and get an interface with more In's and then have like 16..

Anyone knows if this Focusrite octopre are worth it? It's like 430€, I guess you won't get cheaper than this without Behringer..
:geek: