It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:19 pm 
Offline
M. Pietrasinska
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: Sweden
Do you fellas ever bother with a proper GFX card i your studio machines by the way? All computers I've build I never cared about that part to be honest. Maybe I should re-think?

_________________
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

UPPENBARA DETONATIONER (HPX95)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:32 pm 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8915
I always get a half decent card, but not top spec. The machine in the mastering room has a high spec jobby but I do also play games on it (50 inch monitor, bloody big mastering monitors, it`s an insane gaming experience really).
For the production room I`ll be getting a decent spec, nothing crazy, not a huge point.

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Some hard shit
Live PA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:39 am 
Offline
Chernobyl

Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 106
Mattias wrote:
Any new info of the new AMD series for audio or is AMD still a bit....in the gray zone for audio?


From what i've read it's probably still a no go for audio you have to pick your ram very carefully and things go all wonky on certain audio sample rates

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... ipper.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:30 am 
Offline
hmmmmmm...
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:06 pm
Posts: 359
I've gotten the bug to upgrade my desktop. Heard Intel are bringing out new CPU's potentially as early as October 5th so I'm going to wait until then.

I won't do my GPU this time, I think my GTX 970 is still current enough. (my desktop is gaming & music machine)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:37 pm 
Offline
M. Pietrasinska
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: Sweden
Good info, thanks gents.

_________________
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

UPPENBARA DETONATIONER (HPX95)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:02 pm 
Offline
BAD

Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:54 pm
Posts: 71
I use the onboard Intel gpu. More then sufficient if you only use 2 desktop monitors


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:59 am 
Offline
Chernobyl

Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 106
Mattias wrote:
Do you fellas ever bother with a proper GFX card i your studio machines by the way? All computers I've build I never cared about that part to be honest. Maybe I should re-think?


There has been silent graphics cards released for a while without fans, i bought one for my hack until the AMD RX480s came out (great for hackintosh by the way)

for instance i have: Gigabyte GeForce GT 710, 2GB, Fanless (works with hack as well)

there's also this one Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 Silent Low Profile, 2GB (don't know much about this)

I installed Windows 10 on my PC which was a pain in the ass by the way... i had to unplug all of my other hard drives just to get it going! I didn't have to do that with my hackintosh OSX installer which i find amusing. Mainly installed it to play games (Overwatch after being sucked into it on the PS4)

Windows 10 has come along way from the last time i installed Windows (XP), it downloads all the relevant hardware drivers for you computer, it got everything right and was pretty impress with the new GUI. Happy to have a dual boot machine now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:12 pm 
Offline
M. Pietrasinska
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: Sweden
ekwipt wrote:
Mattias wrote:
Do you fellas ever bother with a proper GFX card i your studio machines by the way? All computers I've build I never cared about that part to be honest. Maybe I should re-think?


There has been silent graphics cards released for a while without fans, i bought one for my hack until the AMD RX480s came out (great for hackintosh by the way)

for instance i have: Gigabyte GeForce GT 710, 2GB, Fanless (works with hack as well)

there's also this one Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 Silent Low Profile, 2GB (don't know much about this)

I installed Windows 10 on my PC which was a pain in the ass by the way... i had to unplug all of my other hard drives just to get it going! I didn't have to do that with my hackintosh OSX installer which i find amusing. Mainly installed it to play games (Overwatch after being sucked into it on the PS4)

Windows 10 has come along way from the last time i installed Windows (XP), it downloads all the relevant hardware drivers for you computer, it got everything right and was pretty impress with the new GUI. Happy to have a dual boot machine now


Thanks man, missed your post the first time around.

Personally I'm slightly worried about Win 10 but I'll work around it...

So anyway, Intel CPU year 2017, how many cores do I realistically need?

_________________
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

UPPENBARA DETONATIONER (HPX95)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 pm 
Offline
Get a fucking avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:28 pm
Posts: 14
Should do the trick ...

https://ark.intel.com/products/123613/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-X-series-Processor-13_75M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 pm 
Offline
M. Pietrasinska
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: Sweden
Haha hardcore

_________________
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

UPPENBARA DETONATIONER (HPX95)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:33 pm 
Offline
M. Pietrasinska
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: Sweden
I think Intel Core i7 6700K 4,0GHz works

_________________
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

UPPENBARA DETONATIONER (HPX95)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:55 pm 
Offline
Interchangeable
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 8915
Windows 10 is great once you minimise all the stuff you don`t care about.
I have probably had less problems with 10 than any other op system (last and fave was 7)

_________________
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
Some hard shit
Live PA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:27 pm 
Offline
Chernobyl

Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 106
Windows 10 has been pretty solid for me, but I’m not making anymore music on it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:25 am 
Offline
M. Pietrasinska
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: Sweden
Lost to the Void wrote:
Windows 10 is great once you minimise all the stuff you don`t care about.
I have probably had less problems with 10 than any other op system (last and fave was 7)


ekwipt wrote:
Windows 10 has been pretty solid for me, but I’m not making anymore music on it


Great to hear that gents.

_________________
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

UPPENBARA DETONATIONER (HPX95)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 am 
Offline
Chernobyl

Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 106
Coffee Lake chips just dropped, the Intel Core i7 8700K looks like a beast 6 Core Base:3.70GHz, Turbo:4.30GHz, and i like the look of this motherboard Gigabyte AORUS GA-Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:08 am 
Offline
Chernobyl

Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 106
http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/10/05 ... injection/
http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/10/04 ... the-bench/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:48 am 
Offline
Lateral
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:20 pm
Posts: 2718
Location: Berlin
I was doubtful about win 10 as well but it turned out to be the most solid windows for me.

Mattias, the i7 should serve you well. I got the latest skylake i5 and since then my CPU troubles are non-existent.

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid
http://soundcloud.com/sphaereon
Bandcamp: https://monoxid.bandcamp.com/

Image

Fuck Techno...I make Trap beats instead !!!



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 am 
Offline
M. Pietrasinska
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: Sweden
Mono-xID wrote:
I was doubtful about win 10 as well but it turned out to be the most solid windows for me.

Mattias, the i7 should serve you well. I got the latest skylake i5 and since then my CPU troubles are non-existent.


Thanks man.

So you people who work with Win 10, do you have to constantly update it? I tend to not have my DAW computer online at all (that's what laptops are for yo) and I really don't want to update it every other month to keep things working.

_________________
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

UPPENBARA DETONATIONER (HPX95)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:02 am 
Offline
hmmmmmm...
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:06 pm
Posts: 359
If your computer is not connected to the internet it'll be fine.

But if it's ever connected to the internet the first thing you should do is download all the security updates.

But when I say not connected to the internet, I mean no connection what-so-ever. So no internal WiFi to your laptop, no ethernet to a connected NAS drive or printer. No fukken nothing. It has to exist on it's own without knowing other computers exist.

As for CPUs - i7s are great, my current i7 is 6 years old and still doing just fine. If you have the cash, they're great. But otherwise a i5-8600k will be more than enough. They're pretty beefy CPUs too


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building a new computer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:18 pm 
Offline
M. Pietrasinska
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: Sweden
Plyphon wrote:
If your computer is not connected to the internet it'll be fine.

But if it's ever connected to the internet the first thing you should do is download all the security updates.

But when I say not connected to the internet, I mean no connection what-so-ever. So no internal WiFi to your laptop, no ethernet to a connected NAS drive or printer. No fukken nothing. It has to exist on it's own without knowing other computers exist.

As for CPUs - i7s are great, my current i7 is 6 years old and still doing just fine. If you have the cash, they're great. But otherwise a i5-8600k will be more than enough. They're pretty beefy CPUs too


Thanks fella. Yeah I'll probably do an security update first when I install Win and register shit like Native Instruments (they only do online activation these days those fuckers) and then be done with it.

The I7 I have now served me well too. For this comp I went with the i7 6700K 4,0GHz Socket 1151

_________________
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

UPPENBARA DETONATIONER (HPX95)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
skymiles v1.1 designed by CodeMiles Team -TemplatesDragon-.