Building a new computer

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Building a new computer

Post by Hades »

vo0doo wrote: Seriously it's too bad it does that, since it's a unique little plug, Qwarpfilter it's called. It can make some really nice hollow resonant tones of whatever you feed into it. When you set it just right it can be amazing, but 1 millimeter off and it'll blow your ears off, and it has an lfo built in (which you can't seem to switch off) so you never know until it's too late... And now this :lol:
some days I wonder why MIDI (with al it's tiny (possible) flaws) is still at version 1.0 since 1983
anyway...

are you talking about a comb filter here ?
because if that is the case, afaik, I can guarantee you there is no filter with a more piercing resonance than a decent comb filter.
My K5000r here, fucking hell, it can do some totally lovely filter sweeps,
but man, that resonance can get from just really nice to ear drum piercing annoying in like no time...
I am no expert, but I strongly suspect that the reason for this is that resonance is theoretically just feeding back your signal to the cutoff point of your filter slope,
and with comb filters, I believe the volume at the "cutoff" point is just a lot higher, so the possible feedback risk is a lot higher.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Hades wrote:
some days I wonder why MIDI (with al it's tiny (possible) flaws) is still at version 1.0 since 1983
anyway...

are you talking about a comb filter here ?
because if that is the case, afaik, I can guarantee you there is no filter with a more piercing resonance than a decent comb filter.
My K5000r here, fucking hell, it can do some totally lovely filter sweeps,
but man, that resonance can get from just really nice to ear drum piercing annoying in like no time...
I am no expert, but I strongly suspect that the reason for this is that resonance is theoretically just feeding back your signal to the cutoff point of your filter slope,
and with comb filters, I believe the volume at the "cutoff" point is just a lot higher, so the possible feedback risk is a lot higher.
Let's just wait for HD MIDI, it will solve everything 8-)

It's not quite a comb filter, but what you can get out of it is somewhat similar.

Just googled it, here's the description from the creators site: This plugin allows the user to perform a warped LP analysis of the input signal for each of four independent filter banks, whereafter the user can warp between all four filters using the XY touchpad control or use the 'filter warp' slider to change the warping in the filtering stage. The results tend towards bellish sounds or weird sleeping sounds reminiscent of the EMU Morpheus' filters.

It's win only, though his last plugin (which also looks quite interesting) is only available for mac... The bastard just switched sides, not happy about that at all :lol:

@nomadjames, any luck yet?
how far do you want to go

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

None. Waiting on mobo. Discouraging.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I got it up and running today. It’s a fuckin’ monster. Running my sample buffer @64. Maschine and Push are so responsive. I’ve never had a computer like this. Haven’t had a chance to really push it, but I am seriously impressed.

Still dialing it in.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Interesting thread, anyone got any recommendations for pre-built desktops that'd be good for audio? Powerful and quiet fan are my priorities. Theoretical budget around £1k.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

CRDM wrote:Interesting thread, anyone got any recommendations for pre-built desktops that'd be good for audio? Powerful and quiet fan are my priorities. Theoretical budget around £1k.
this site doesn't look too bad

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/custom/daw-d ... on-pcs#anc

but I haven't tried these out of course.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

All the software on this thing is legit. That’s a new one for me. Just grabbed Satin and immediately put it on every channel to see if I could. I can. Grabbed that Klanghelm MJUC compressor void recommended, too.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

nomadjames wrote:All the software on this thing is legit. That’s a new one for me. Just grabbed Satin and immediately put it on every channel to see if I could. I can. Grabbed that Klanghelm MJUC compressor void recommended, too.
I certainly can't put Satin on more than a few channels max.

why did you use so many cracks ?
I mean, I don't have the impression you weren't able to afford the SW,
looking at the HW you were able to buy.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

not judging, just asking :)

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

i had that laptop since 2010. I didnt really use much cracked stuff on it other than Waves. The other big one I still need to replace is RP Subboombass.

Once I started using Maschine, I started moving toward all legit, because I have a ton of NI stuff that I pick up from sales.

Thinking about trying the Slate pack as a replacement for Waves, but i used that Waves stuff a lot.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I just had that particular MBP for a really long time. Ended up with some cracked shit on it.
When I bought ableton and Maschine though, i shifted away from using the cracked stuff, but never really had to reinstall the OS or anything.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

@voodoo,

This thing is getting there. I’m having a hard time running @ 64 sample rate. Pretty sure it’s my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 / Behringer ADA8200 interface, which has been acting weird. dropping our at random. The goal is to upgrade to UAD soon. It’s running great @ 128, though.

My Latencymon report looks great, all Green. DPClatency check is just under yellow, mostly green. Tried going through all the drivers and couldn’t get that much lower.

What did you settle on with OC? Still the same? My temps are a little higher than i would like, around 50c. Running OC at 4 all the way across.

Gotta get in there and add one more fan, and check all the fans are functioning properly.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I've very recently got one of those scan 3xs computers. Was easier to choose & get it built; I'm scratching my head enough getting used to Windows again after years on Mac. It's a good machine. Painless process.

So far so good.. still kinda looking at it & my mpc.. wondering about workflow before choosing mixer / patchbay connections and begin making stuff again.

I think I'll be using live more as a big tape recorder than the first tool I reach for when I get an idea.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

@ nomadjames: Yeah, there's some (reasonably) well known driver issues with older Focusrite stuff I believe, There's some tests somewhere online where they measured latency for almost every interface, I'll see if I can dig it up though it shouldn't be too hard to find. And 128 isn't that bad, my 'in between solution' (which was more than 10 years old tbf) had multiple times that :lol:

Still the same OC, I figured if it's good enough I'm not gonna fuck with it too much for now. When it starts to count I can still dive in eventually.

Did you also use the Black Viper configuration btw? Might make that little bit of difference so you can run at 64, if you're lucky.
how far do you want to go

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I did not. You talking about it is the only time I have ever heard of it.

Crioch: This switch is a lot for me, too. My last two computers have been Macbook Pros, going back at least 15 years. I have had my current one since 2010!

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

nomadjames wrote:I did not. You talking about it is the only time I have ever heard of it.

Crioch: This switch is a lot for me, too. My last two computers have been Macbook Pros, going back at least 15 years. I have had my current one since 2010!
it's funny to see how more and more people are turning away from mac.
I'm planning to do the same whenever I have some more cash,
but still not sure if I won't build a hackintosh since I love OSX so much.

my old uncle needed to get a new computer, and he was gonna get ripped off (like they do with most old people in shops), so I jumped in and helped him install everything on his newly bought laptop.
Man, I swear we were sitting there waiting for like 3 hours straight for the damn thing to install all its updates,
and that was a brand new laptop...
I couldn't help but think about every time I bought a new MBP, and things were up and running in like 15 minutes top, haha (of course not including every time I did a clean install of all my programs)

I am convinced PC people are far more intelligent than mac people, at least when it comes to computers.
Or as I heard someone say who got a mac for free from his brother : they're like a fisher price computer... :lol:
When you're on mac, you just become so accustomed to the easy interface that you just become lazy and stupid whenever you have to work with a pc again.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Mac is easy, until you want/have to do something they didn't intend or want you to do... then suddenly you have to do scripting in the terminal or something to do some really basic shit. Like, you can't even easily turn off that sound a macbook makes when it boots without doing a whole bunch of shit.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

dubdub wrote:Mac is easy, until you want/have to do something they didn't intend or want you to do... then suddenly you have to do scripting in the terminal or something to do some really basic shit. Like, you can't even easily turn off that sound a macbook makes when it boots without doing a whole bunch of shit.
totally agree, but the other way around from that story is that if you have some kind of simple problem,
you are pretty much always able to find the solution in like 5 minutes.
If not, better call the store and ask them.

No doubt PC's offer a shitload of options a mac won't offer you,
but for me (and I do think others as well), that's exactly what makes it so appealing.

I couldn't give a flying fuck about the stupid sound my MBP makes when I boot it,
I usually leave my MBP's on for weeks on end anyway (and that's never been a problem). :)

But yeah, for the record : I've had it with apple as well, and I'm not trying to defend them,
just trying to offer a different perspective, so to say.
Maybe the best way to describe why those of us who aren't about showing off they got something Apple still choose to get ripped off is this :
general "peace of mind".

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Be ready to do a fuckload of work. I did get a computer that is way better than than the $5k iMac pro but at what cost? Took three months to get it running.

New Mac Pros are gonna start at more than $5k. That’s disgusting. Current Mac Pros? Haven’t been updated since 2013. Apple is shitting all over the creative market and it pisses me off.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

All this driver stuff sucks.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton