ping pong delay on stuff around 400 - 600 hz. a no go?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
ping pong delay on stuff around 400 - 600 hz. a no go?

Post by over9000 »

Sup cuntz

so i made this groove with a subrumble bass and i wanted to ask how to get this roll.. NO, topic is about something else.
then i made some heavy ping pong delayed tom sounds with different layers. it gives a nice groove, but the stuff is quite low frequency wise. 400 - 600 hz approx. on my system and on headphones it sounds ok, but that doesent mean that much.
My question is now, can this be done or is it an absolute no go.
iam not talking about a subtle delay here, its stereo as hell and has ca. 40% feedback. there was a track about delay on bass not so lonmg ago, but it was a bout subtle delaying, which clearly isent the case in my project.
I guess its possible to make a track like this, but what are the mixing problems i can run into when i continue? it dont have a super complex track in mind (suprise :lol: ), the elements i would add further would be a pad, some and some more drums and thats it basically. happy to hear your thougths on this

Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Re: ping pong delay on stuff around 400 - 600 hz. a no go?

Post by Planar »

If it sounds ok in mono you're probably fine.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Planar wrote:If it sounds ok in mono you're probably fine.
no it doesent... :D
i think the effect that i like really comes from the ping pong. and when i mono it only left or right channel is heard. now is there any way to make it mono that keep both left & right channels of the original signal? so it wouldent be stereo anymore but both left & right signal would be merged into one mono channel?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

400-600hz is fine, it's not that low. Ping-pong under 200hz sounds more problematic.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

over9000 wrote:
i think the effect that i like really comes from the ping pong. and when i mono it only left or right channel is heard. now is there any way to make it mono that keep both left & right channels of the original signal? so it wouldent be stereo anymore but both left & right signal would be merged into one mono channel?
Using Ableton? I think you can do that with Utility. Maybe reducing the width option? I can't check right now.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Planar wrote:
over9000 wrote:
Using Ableton? I think you can do that with Utility. Maybe reducing the width option? I can't check right now.
thats it, thx mate :mrgreen:

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

dubdub wrote:400-600hz is fine, it's not that low. Ping-pong under 200hz sounds more problematic.
iam sitting at it atm and its 180 - 1k, so probably better to mono it.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Ive put a ping pong delay on a single note bassline before. Not absolutely dripping in delay just a little to give it some depth and then mono'd the channel, again not tons of delay just a touch to give it a different flavour. I think Ive seen other producers talk about this on here, generally stereo delay not good below a certain frequency, but someone with more knowledge or info can chime in, im cerain its been discussed. I dont see why delay on low mid would be an issue again im pretty sure within context the only place you might see issues with delay would be in the bass regions....

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

You could use the mono preset under utility, It worked last time I tried

Maltesemassive
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Maltesemassive »

over9000 wrote:

im not sure but you tried the utility plugin that comes in ableton it has a feature to turn from Mono to stereo and vice versa

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Maltesemassive wrote:
over9000 wrote:

im not sure but you tried the utility plugin that comes in ableton it has a feature to turn from Mono to stereo and vice versa
youtu.be/arqTu9Ay4Ig
YUP

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

I slap a ping pong delay on just about everything because that's just how I roll.

taylor h
Mingler

Post by taylor h »

TimBuys wrote:I slap a ping pong delay on just about everything because that's just how I roll.
Same but it's quite easy to get carried away with it. I always find myself rolling it back significantly in the mixdown and then it's hard to get back the sound I wanted originally...

Also +1 for E-40 hyphy lives on