TC electronics TC2290 (delay plugin /w hardware controller)

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
TC electronics TC2290 (delay plugin /w hardware controller)

Post by dubdub »

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories ... DT/p/P0D3X

Dunno if I really need this but bundling a plugin with a dedicated hardware controller seems like a pretty cool idea. The controller looks great. Price apparently is 350 USD (which seems pretty fair considering that's what some UAD plugins run for without any bundled hardware) and you can use the plugin without the controller. I think if there is some way to demo the plugin, I might actually go for it, the demos in the video sound quite nice.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: TC electronics TC2290 (delay plugin /w hardware controll

Post by Lost to the Void »

The interface is just a keyboard essentially.
Utterly pointless, can`t be used standalone... stupid stupid stupid.
This seems like a really ill thought out marketing splooge.

Delay might be nice, I`d rather just have the plugin.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:The interface is just a keyboard essentially.

funny, watched the video earlier and thought exactly the same thing.
it's just studio real estate being taken up for no particular advantage at all...
I don't get the point.

I admit the delay sounds nice though,
but I already have enough delay plugins and HW shit.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:The interface is just a keyboard essentially.

funny, watched the video earlier and thought exactly the same thing.
it's just studio real estate being taken up for no particular advantage at all...
I don't get the point.

I admit the delay sounds nice though,
but I already have enough delay plugins and HW shit.
Exactly this, just taking up studio space.
And if you can use it without the hardware, just as a plugin, you know that hardware is going to end up in a box within 4-6 months, gathering dust.
New Shit

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

D-Two does a fairly decent approximation of the original 2290 for anyone who prefers hardware to plugins (like me!)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I just read on KVR that apparently, the plugin GUI doesn't have full editing capabilities. That does seem kind of ridiculous.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Id rather just buy a hardware delay unit tbh..
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

dubdub wrote:I just read on KVR that apparently, the plugin GUI doesn't have full editing capabilities. That does seem kind of ridiculous.
Done on purpose just so you buy the hardware no doubt, I wouldn’t buy it on that principal alone, fuck those guys

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

what I actually found most cringeworthy of all,
was how many times they were saying how "analog" their original HW unit was,
and how they only named it "digital delay.... because digital was back then the buzz word",
but they're talking about selling a totally digital thing now, by using "analog" as a buzz word... :lol:

Selling a pretty much analog unit (or so they claim) by using the word "digital",
then somewhat 30 years later selling an all digital unit by using the word "analog".
Ow the irony in all of that. :lol:

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Hades wrote:what I actually found most cringeworthy of all,
and how they only named it "digital delay.... because digital was back then the buzz word",
but they're talking about selling a totally digital thing now, by using "analog" as a buzz word... :lol:

Selling a pretty much analog unit (or so they claim) by using the word "digital",
then somewhat 30 years later selling an all digital unit by using the word "analog".
And the only people daft enough to buy into that marketing bullshit are musicians ;-)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

terryfalafel wrote:
Hades wrote:what I actually found most cringeworthy of all,

And the only people daft enough to buy into that marketing bullshit are musicians ;-)
or people that want to be musicians/DJ's/...
and then buy some gear for a few years,
never put in the effort to learn it properly,
have fuck all inspiration (a thing I hear even with a lot of people who did learn how to make music properly),
think buying more gear (preferably "analog") because they think that's the reason their music sucks,
and eventually just give up because they get kids and their mrs needs them to sell the gear and make room for the babies...

and that's when more "musicians" come in to buy their gear,
and the whole cycle repeats itself, again and again and again,
ad infinitum...

Honestly, I often wonder how big the ratio is...
people who use their gear and make music (even if it ain't the best, but actually sit down and put in some hours)
vs people who just buy some gear cause they got some extra cash and think it's a cool hobby.

I'm not judging anyone, to each his/her own,
but I seriously think the 2nd part is massively bigger than the 1st, and is why stores like Music Store or Thomann or whatever became so huge over the last 2 decades...

Most ironic part is probably that though it's become way easier to make electronic music nowadays compared to say 20 years ago, and gear has become far more cheaper, I don't have the impression I hear that much more better music coming from all the people who bought all that gear... :lol: :lol:

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

Hades wrote:
or people that want to be musicians/DJ's/...
and then buy some gear for a few years,
never put in the effort to learn it properly,
have fuck all inspiration (a thing I hear even with a lot of people who did learn how to make music properly),
think buying more gear (preferably "analog") because they think that's the reason their music sucks,
and eventually just give up because they get kids and their mrs needs them to sell the gear and make room for the babies...
Oh yes. I always cringe so hard when people who have never finished a single tune in their lives tell me how you need to have analog gear to make good music. It temporarily makes me want to ditch all my hardware and keep using nothing but plug-ins forever.

Or one guy I know who spent tons of money on stuff like a Voyager and API pieces goes on about how awesome everything sounds but that he never actually produces music because he says he lacks inspiration/knowledge or whatever.

I guess some people buy toy trains others buy music hardware... Maybe the Voyager is at least an interesting investment considering the current interest rates :lol:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

rsntr wrote: Oh yes. I always cringe so hard when people who have never finished a single tune in their lives tell me how you need to have analog gear to make good music. It temporarily makes me want to ditch all my hardware and keep using nothing but plug-ins forever.

Or one guy I know who spent tons of money on stuff like a Voyager and API pieces goes on about how awesome everything sounds but that he never actually produces music because he says he lacks inspiration/knowledge or whatever.

I guess some people buy toy trains others buy music hardware... Maybe the Voyager is at least an interesting investment considering the current interest rates :lol:
I bought an Xpander about 5 years ago or something.
Most expensive (and definitely most impulse) vintage piece I ever bought.
(and most temperamental bitch of an instrument as well!!)
The guy I bought it from was a lawyer, driving around in a shiny Lotus Esprit.
I literally tested out the synth lying on a kingsize bed (part of the office of him and his partner),
after a series of long nightshifts, while being served lots of coffee by their sex bomb of a secretary.
Rather hilarious and yet surreal situation, tbh...
(if it wasn't so obvious my seller was more of a gentleman's lover, I would suspect why the bedroom was part of their office :D )

Anyway... I bought my first HW synth in 94, wasted tons of money (back then) on it (1500€ and I was only 15 at the time), and I've gone through approx. 34 HW synths since then.
I would think that's already far too many and an insane amount of HW synths in total.
But I always sold what I didn't use enough, and nowadays I kept about 13 of them, which I still think is far too many, but mind you lots of these are hard to come by synths, and all across the synthesis range (wavetable, FM, RA, VA, additive,...)
Some of these synths, well, I know how long it took me to find them,
and I grew fond of them, BUT, all of them are just instruments !!
Instruments, meaning : a TOOL to make music with.

The above guy I mentioned, he told me he had like 75 HW synths or more, all vintage...
I never got to see them because I checked out the Xpander in his office, not at his home,
but I do suspect he wasn't lying, perhaps only slightly exaggerating...
I could hardly stop laughing when I told him a little about my music and he, totally spontaneously, said "ow, so you actually make music with them as well"
fucking hell man, couldn't help myself saying "yeah man, they're instruments, I'm a musician, isn't that what they're for in the first place" :lol:

But yeah, that's a guy with so much money it doesn't matter if he buys all these vintage synths,
but so many people out there... they're in the medium income range, and yet they are spending tons of money on gear, for no particular reason whatsoever tbh.... :)

rsntr

Post by rsntr »

Hades wrote:
rsntr wrote:
I could hardly stop laughing when I told him a little about my music and he, totally spontaneously, said "ow, so you actually make music with them as well"
:lol:

To be fair, I had a few impulse buyings as well and phases where I thought that my music will become exponentially better if I buy piece xy. Or that the ideas will start magically flowing if I have a certain piece of hardware. Luckily that stopped and at the moment I feel more like implementing new gear would disturb my work flow. GAS might reoccur but for now I think the pieces I have provide more possibilities than I have time to discover.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

rsntr wrote:
Hades wrote: I could hardly stop laughing when I told him a little about my music and he, totally spontaneously, said "ow, so you actually make music with them as well"
:lol:

To be fair, I had a few impulse buyings as well and phases where I thought that my music will become exponentially better if I buy piece xy. Or that the ideas will start magically flowing if I have a certain piece of hardware. Luckily that stopped and at the moment I feel more like implementing new gear would disturb my work flow. GAS might reoccur but for now I think the pieces I have provide more possibilities than I have time to discover.
man, the only people who say they never had such a phase are most likely the ones that are so poor they can never afford anything but cracks.
The thing is to acknowledge that GAS shit, learn it's one big commercial trap, and move on with the gear you have.
Everybody loves a new piece of gear once in a while. But we should never forget they're all just tools in the end...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I¬ve gotten pretty good at letting GAS pass through me. I generally don`t act on it without research or some kind of analysis.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:I¬ve gotten pretty good at letting GAS pass through me. I generally don`t act on it without research or some kind of analysis.
same here, but I do think part of that is because we've already gone through quite some gear,
and we know it's far more about putting in the hours than getting the "right gear"
and let's face it, like we discussed above : studio real estate is simply an issue;
so it'd better be double worth it if you buy a new piece of gear now,
cause it probably means some other piece of gear has to go. :)

rsntr

Post by rsntr »

Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I¬ve gotten pretty good at letting GAS pass through me. I generally don`t act on it without research or some kind of analysis.
same here, but I do think part of that is because we've already gone through quite some gear,
and we know it's far more about putting in the hours than getting the "right gear"
Another point I've came to realise which cured me from GAS is that you absolutely don't always achieve better results more easily with hardware. And that sometimes (probably more often than not) it just doesn't matter in the end it whether you've used soft- or hardware. Also, there's so much stuff you can do with software that you can't do with hardware. I don't see any reason to miss out on that.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Oh for sure. I find hardware mostly inconvenient and slow to implement my ideas. Especially when it comes to fx. The chains I use, if they were hardware, would take up half my studio space or more.
New Shit

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Gotta say I find it kind of interesting. Sometimes I just prefer not using a trackpad or mouse.