Let's share our best "quick but essential" tip's in here...

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
RWise
durchfall
Re: Let's share our best "quick but essential" tip's in here

Post by RWise »

If a stranger offers you drugs, say yes.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

RWise wrote:If a stranger offers you drugs, say yes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

buffered wrote:I like phase distortion on hihats. Even heavy chorusing to smear them.
I have to put this to use , right now :lol:

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

take breaks often when working with music.
drink enough water
Always use rubber

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

And thank you!
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

THX_1138
BAD

Post by THX_1138 »

Try and put the 'product' as far out of mind as possible for a while - Focus on enjoying the process. Play. Have fun.

This is easier said than done, but a mindset I've been trying to achieve. I think you end up getting closer to interesting final projects this way anyway.

Also - It's worth spending some time brainstorming to 'games' to play with sound design/composition. On the train, on the bus, lunch hour... some time you can't actually be doing any music production. It's good to have idea's for interesting processes when you sit down to actually make some music - takes away some of that blank canvas anxiety.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

THX_1138 wrote:
Also - It's worth spending some time brainstorming to 'games' to play with sound design/composition. On the train, on the bus, lunch hour... some time you can't actually be doing any music production. It's good to have idea's for interesting processes when you sit down to actually make some music - takes away some of that blank canvas anxiety.
This is good advice. It can be hard to act on after a long day at work but just accumulating thoughts on process is beneficial.

THX_1138
BAD

Post by THX_1138 »

Also - Expanding on that. If you are the kind of person (like me) that idly flicks through youtube and watches random videos on production techniques, philosophies etc.. Try being more active in this process. Take notes - solidify the possible inspirations you can get. (Also become more selective with what's useful - I find there's more to be gained from discussions like 'ableton loop - panel discussions of create blocks', than from'how to make this sound')

This is feeding back into my previous brainstorming thing... it's part of that process now for me.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

THX_1138 wrote:Also - Expanding on that. If you are the kind of person (like me) that idly flicks through youtube and watches random videos on production techniques, philosophies etc.. Try being more active in this process. Take notes - solidify the possible inspirations you can get. (Also become more selective with what's useful - I find there's more to be gained from discussions like 'ableton loop - panel discussions of create blocks', than from'how to make this sound')

This is feeding back into my previous brainstorming thing... it's part of that process now for me.
I’d disagree a tiny bit. I find the most useful tuts on YouTube are from seasoned mixers/engineers. Warren huart of produce like a pro and Dave pensado are great. They talk mainly rock/pop but the lessons in theory of why and how are really engaging. Maybe it’s the process of listening to their theory and then deciphering how to apply it to my own workflow rather than watching someone tell me how to make a techno kick drum.

0dd

Post by 0dd »

THX_1138 wrote:Also - Expanding on that. If you are the kind of person (like me) that idly flicks through youtube and watches random videos on production techniques, philosophies etc.. Try being more active in this process. Take notes - solidify the possible inspirations you can get. (Also become more selective with what's useful - I find there's more to be gained from discussions like 'ableton loop - panel discussions of create blocks', than from'how to make this sound')

This and the above is really useful if you're that kinda guy. For some time I've spent bus time, empty work time etc. watching or reading about techniques, through subsekt etc. Just using all the free time away from the computer to research, and by the time I get home I have no fucking idea what to do. Taking notes is reaaaally good to not get pissed off like that and actualy utilise some of the knowlage. On the same note, I've started using void's idea of humming/singing musical ideas hooks, melodies, anything, into the phone or whatever, cause these allways fucking go away, and these "unable to execute production atm" ideas are always the fucking best!
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

THX_1138
BAD

Post by THX_1138 »

buffered wrote:

I’d disagree a tiny bit. I find the most useful tuts on YouTube are from seasoned mixers/engineers. Warren huart of produce like a pro and Dave pensado are great. They talk mainly rock/pop but the lessons in theory of why and how are really engaging. Maybe it’s the process of listening to their theory and then deciphering how to apply it to my own workflow rather than watching someone tell me how to make a techno kick drum.

I'll definitely check those ones - cheers.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Yeah man, drugs are fucking expensive.

Don't let the drugs get in the way of a good time, though!
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Learn to make music without drugs

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

It was hard, but I did.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Yeah I know it's hard, I had help from people in my previous place I should thank them, but I was sending to hell,them as well(withdrawals loool), anyway, when you get familiar with a daw sober, your workflow on drugs will be like, Goku ssj3, you just know what to do 3-5 steps a head, lol
P.s anyway I try to stay away from them , it's just feels better

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

nomadjames wrote: Yeah man, drugs are fucking expensive.
I guess a lot of that depends on your location and supplier.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Always get high on your own supply.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Or if your supply has ran out, just use Voidloss' - he doesn't mind.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Well, any guest in the home or studio is welcome to imbibe whatever I have.
Which is currently nothing.

Well, that`s not true, I have tequila, bourbon, Tramadol, Clonazepam and a boat load of high strength CBD oil which we got for my mother in law, who sadly passed away this morning :(

So yeah, those are the options.

Oh, we have Salvia too.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

0dd

Post by 0dd »

I dunno if I asked already, do you get fresh leaves and chew, or get that extract? How would you compare it to dmt? Hope your loss goes easy on the missus