Things you somehow just figured out NOW...

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Trom
Wastedddd
Re: Things you somehow just figured out NOW...

Post by Trom »

I work in a workshop and not so long after I started producing I borrowed a mic from a friend to record the clashing of various tools and other cool things we have around. Used it as raw samples for year and a half, wasn't until I read this thread though I realized I should put them in a sampler..

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

i just found out about the freedom controllers have to offer, when working with ableton live at home. damn. have been working for years just by clicking around with my mouse. always had a hadache watching those new multicolor blinking native instruments plastic devices and stuff, so i never got even close to paying attention to what possible here. now i got launchpad mini + launchcontrol xl and it's amazing for jamming basic arrangements and overdubbing fx automation.

..gonna check out simpler/ sampler next ;D
:geek:

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Gain and boost pedals are really interesting.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Using a gate on sample loops...fuck!
Why did I not do this before?
Adds so much more interest for further processing (before/after the gate).

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

intrusav wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:36 pm
Using a gate on sample loops...fuck!
Why did I not do this before?
Adds so much more interest for further processing (before/after the gate).

Been doing this a lot recently, using a lot of cut up breaks and processing to shit, and the beats were just getting too smeared out so gated them prior to processing to tighten them up....
Gates in general are very useful.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Transient shapers are so fucking useful.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Vandalsounds
Onions

Post by Vandalsounds »

If you're not totally at peace with your setup, things take sooooooo much more time and it kind of takes the fun away.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

You can do a nice thing, with slices.. gating loops in simpler live 9.5.

Drag a loop in. Slice mode. Gate mode.
Put notes in a midi clip. Make music.

Mess with warp modes.
Use a random midi device.. which affects pitch & therefore cycles randomly through the slices.
Hit record.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Actually just remembered something else with loops & gates.. seen a good video at some point:

3 Audio tracks.
A different loop on all 3.
A gate plug on each track.

1 midi channel with a drum rack.
3 cells filled.. named 1, 2 & 3.
Cell 1, 2 & 3 have a snare or something in a simpler inside.
Audio on the midi channel is turned off.

Go back to the audio tracks.
Assign the individual outputs of Drum rack cells.. 1, 2 & 3 to the gate input of the 3 audio tracks.

Back to the drum rack.
Made a midi clip.
Enter some notes on lanes 1, 2 & 3 in the midi clip & play the loop.
Drum rack midi is gating the audio loops.

Can be an interesting thing to do with your own stuff.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

^ That sounds good, will have to try it out. I'm thinking it would work well on background textural stuff, if I understand it right. Cheers for the ideas..

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Thought I'd stick this in here..

I watched the Doom production vids a while back & really enjoyed them.. especially where he goes through that fx chain system.

The hidden messages were hilarious also.

Very inspiring.

On a side note.. I was making old jungle style 808 kick reeses w.my old Mackie mixer the other day.

Little bit of chorus & some automated notch filtering

With the gain pushed & the mixer eqs untouched.. the kicks distort & thump hard.

Pull the bass out of the signal on the mixer & you get a whole different flavour of nastiness.. the chorus & notch leaving gaps in the signal to be sucked & ripped out.

Made me think of those Doom production videos.. with the fx chains.

Made me think of how close you are actually to creating a totally different sound every time.. and how one twist of the right setting can achieve that.

Some of it is theory.. but you need to fuck around , experiment & remember to apply that knowledge to other things.

End of transmission..

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Regarding jungle 808s, a while ago I saw an old video with Dijilna where he destroyed an 808 with the mackie, which brought up a lot of the noise from the resampling process and then he added a shitload of highend boost on the mixer so you got these really cool artefacts, noises and atmospheres in the topend. I've been doing same thing in the DAW, add noise/hiss and sampler artefacts (the new S950 plugin and TAL-DAC were the ones I used) at every step, resample a bunch of times and then boost the shit out of the topend at the end, makes some really cool sounds.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Oh.. completely forgot about that akai plugin. Must check the vids again. Thanks a lot!!

If you get an 808 with a really lonnnng tail, interesting things start to happen towards the end, as the bass drops in volume & the noise creeps up, affected by whatever filtering or modulation. You can chop some very textural things out of there.

The Dillinja 'this is how I'm doing it today' vid, cool stuff! That's a good one.

The noisefloor.. can you can hear it swirling around?

That is NOT YouTube or the video camera. If you have a chorus or whatever on your sound & it's rammed into the desk, that's the noisefloor. That's the interesting stuff.

The z-plane filters in the EMU 6400 / ESI samplers had flangers, choruses & all sorts in their programs. Worth grabbing a manual & getting a few ideas.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Críoch wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:07 pm
Oh.. completely forgot about that akai plugin. Must check the vids again. Thanks a lot!!
It's good for techno but for jungle/DNB, oh lord. I started toying around making some jungle this weekend and I used on the break here, just smash that shit and resample a few times, instant phat Source Direct style breaks :twisted:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Ok.. think I need to find 19€..

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

There are interesting textures hidden in just about anything recorded outside your computer, you can uncover lots of hidden gems by smashing the tail of some sample though a compressor while boosting some frequencies (of course after it needs to be toned down again). Often it's also fun to run it through a dense reverb. Use this loads for generating some atmospheric junk/noise layers in my tracks.
how far do you want to go