Trying to recreate this kind of filtering...

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Trying to recreate this kind of filtering...

Post by dubdub »

youtu.be/oAPyoPy3IDc

Obviously, it's just modulated resonant filters but I've been trying to get something similiar in the box and it's not as easy as I expected. I'm fairly certain he used a DP/4 for this, which I think can do up to 4 filter bands? and it does sound like it's multiple filter bands moving. Most of the filter plugins ITB only have two bands at most and that doesn't seem to be enough to get that kind of sound. Te Eventide bandpass filter has enough bands but the resonance doesn't go far enough. I'm mean technically, I could use an EQ to get a bunch of bands going but using a dedicated Filter is going to be easier and probably sound much better. There's also a really nice formant tone to it, I'm wondering what the source sound was..

tsaro
Lifer
Re: Trying to recreate this kind of filtering...

Post by tsaro »

For this sound you need an envelope controlled filter, the bleeps are just modulated resonance. Something like for example Volcano would probably do the trick.
If you´re on windows, you could try this one: http://xhip.net/effects/?p=Follower
Made some similar sounds with that when I tried it a while back.
how far do you want to go

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I've obviously been playing around with envelope mod (The Drop) but couldn' really get close, maybe i'm doing something wrong..

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

For one you need to fiddle around with your envelopes curve. Exponential attack time gives you the nice, plucky bends. Doable with the symmetry in The Drop.

The filter itself sounds like a creamy OB6 kinda model. Not shipped with The Drops models :/

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Then again, after some minutes of fiddling around:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwxl9ju4fc7j5 ... r.als?dl=0

Insert chord to taste. Make sure to play some lower notes as well so the bandpass has some beef to chug for the low parts.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Are there any 'creamy' filter emulations in VST land? Filterfreak and Etch are also pretty rough.

How to I get curves on the envelopes, by choosing the Envelope1/2 routing for LFO2? I'm still learning The Drop.

Also, are you certain that's it's only a single filter band? Sounds like multiple LPs/BPs to me but I might be wrong.

edit: Just saw your post. Your are much better at this than me, thanks :)

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

You're welcome!

There are so many dope things about The Drop. You can draw your own LFO patterns. Add some random variation. Tweak the curves between linear to exponential (via curve and symmetry). Dope, dope schtuff!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Yeah, it can get pretty crazy. I just wish you could choose 2 HPs or 2 LPs.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

I sometimes use one instance for coloring the signal and adding a lil grit and then modulate the output with a second one. Knowing Andrew a little he loves to keep his plugins as straight forward as possible. You'd need a lot of additional controls, hence clutter the interface with an additional set of filters per band. And I doubt you can maintain the quality of modulations and sound within such a setting.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Maybe i'm imagining things wrong but I don't think you'd need any additional controls, just a drop down menu where you can choose between LP and HP. The rest of the interface would be the same.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Ah, I've got it wrong then! Thought you wanted a set of 4 filters :)